Low performance, tried everything.

Highwayman300

I made this post in the hopes of someone telling me of another option to increase the incredibly bad performance i am experiencing in skyrim.

So far i have tried the following:

Skyrim ini tweaks. (Disabling shadows-V-sync-Every other non vital element, threading, reducing resolution to the lowest possible)

Reducing everything to very low and disabling whatever i could.

Removing all script based mods.

Papyrus tweaks.

Hialgo boost.

ENB boost.

Using the "skyrim booster" .dll file.

Using a lower res compressed texture pack.

Compressing all textures to the max available.

Skyrim Startup Memory Editor

Others:

Increasing performance and reducing graphics in my computer settings.

Terminating every other non vital process in my computer.

Using FPS booster app and other FPS boosting applications: IE Razer game booster.

All of these combined give me a max of 30-18 FPS. sometimes 35 in small non-cluttered interiors.

Here are my specs: (Yes, it is a slow end cheap laptop)

Processor: AMD A6-440M with Radeon HD graphics 2.7 GHZ

RAM: 3.67

64-bit system.

Any recommendations in how i can improve my fps? Usually it is 18 fps with a LOT of stuttering.

And no, buying a new computer is not an option.

change the swap files size, increase past the minimum it's presently set at, you can only use the built in ram , hard ram size 3.67 x 2

not any further. reboot. set it to manual. also, there is one option , windowed mode, set to small 800x600 but graphics nurtured Turned up to max ,all the way up. what ever your rig "should handle".

use a fake windowed full screen API and attempt to see where this leads you too.

the apps you need are in my signature, Fake full screen modes applications are for the Operating systems ,not the games, it will use the games specs and lie to the system.

I don't see any other options.

kitty

Edited by Purr4me

change the swap files size, increase past the minimum it's presently set at, you can only use the built in ram , hard ram size 3.67 x 2

not any further. reboot. set it to manual. also, there is one option , windowed mode, set to small 800x600 but graphics nurtured Turned up to max ,all the way up. what ever your rig "should handle".

use a fake windowed full screen API and attempt to see where this leads you too.

the apps you need are in my signature, Fake full screen modes applications are for the Operating systems ,not the games, it will use the games specs and lie to the system.

I don't see any other options.

kitty

Alright, i just tried what you said, and saddly, got 0 increase in my fps.

Also, I was already running the game in fake full screen in 480 x 640.

What you're running is basically a ULV CPU with the AMD equivalend of an Intel Integrated chip. You're not going to get much better than 30FPS on that. 35FPS is incredible on that setup, considering you don't have any VRAM. The GPU on that is using shared memory from your RAM, which means that your 3.67GB is divided between GPU usage, and CPU usage. It's not exact, but you'll have to think that if your GPU uses let's say 1GB, Windows 7 64bit uses another 1GB, then you only have 1.67GB RAM for your game. Too low.

he needs at least bare minimum of 2 gigs for spike, rise of usage by the game, there must be some kind of safety valve for the machine to exhaust what it is not using after it uses it. ok, there are some things that are risky you can try, and I hesitate to mention them due to the fact the unit is not supported by the game.

you can try to preset the cell buffers just a little, 2 steps at a time and try it. The only thing I know that has something to configure the game tweaks is built into Mod Orginiser. The ini has a sound cache, increase it's cache size x 2, double it. this will open up some extra ram for that lap top. You can also edit the systems *.nt files so at boot time, you have 80 stacks instead of 40, extended ram too can help.

autoexe.nt and config.nt. I think they are in the WOW directory systems32 folder.? not sure on 64bit. this will give the OS some breathing room. you won't see it, that's ok, the system will.

kitty

i know it sounds pretty obviuous, but maybe its your hard disk. I recently bought a new one and the stuttering dissapeared. A time ago i read about skyrim using the CPU instead of GPU for some stuff and that affects performance depending on your HDD also.

Beyond that, reducing spell particles did the trick.

Alright, after trying everything that was suggested so far, i got a total increase of 5 (10 in interiors) fps. While still pretty much unplayable, i suppose it is better than nothing.

Will installing more ram to my laptop increase performance? If it does, then how much would i have to install to see a decent increase in fps?

The game is limited to 2 gigs. Double that 4 gigs should be sufficient. Laptop ram is expensive too. does that unit have a set limit as to how much you can upgrade it too?

The game isn't limited to 2GB. It's limited to 3GB, and SSME can increase that to 4GB.

6GB of RAM would be good. Not 4GB though, since he already has about 4GB.

Upgrading RAM might increase fps, but probably not by much. It would probably decrease stutter, however.

There's also this mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10789/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D10789%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D578252&pUp=1

Or this mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14504/?

When you start the game, you can also hit the ~ key and type "tg" without the quotes. Then just hit the enter button to make the tg command take effect. That disables grass and should increase performance outdoors.

And, ofc, I'm sure you already have your laptop set to a high performance power plan.

Edited by Rennn