5.1 surround sound problem

strikerdes

so i got some new speakers (5.1) and i tryed them and they are really messed up, but only on oblivion, music is really jumpy, it normally dosnt even play, sound effect work, but only a few. cant talk to people, so i switched it from 5.1 down to 2.1 and the sound worked perfectly, does anyone know how to get 5.1 working??

thank you

oh hehe...yeah that's why it's cutting off. Onboard audio does not process lots of "channels" as compared to an actual sound card...and Oblivion's script for the sounds probably plays a factor as well. I notice it when playing FPS games where there is multiple sounds going on all the time. I have onboard and it cuts off a previous sound to process the new sound. (and that's on 2.1 speakers ugh) Trying to split all those sounds into 5.1 speakers is horrid on onboard. Works fine for music as it's one "channel" where as games have multiple different sounds going on all the time.

Open up your Oblivion.ini file, located in Documents/My Games/Oblivion. Search for iMaxImpactSoundCount and change it from 32 to a lower number, like 16 or even 8. That limits the amount of simultaneous sounds allowed to play, and should help your sound issues.

• 4 years later...

I also seem to have a problem. I just recently bought 5.1 speakers, Testing them is ok but using them in game is another. Here is my problem, when i walk in interior cells, the footstep sounds seem to skip and stutter between the top center speaker and the two rear speakers. Another thing also it seems my speakers can only play on two speakers at one time (this includes the base speaker). I have my sound configuration on 5.1 my sound card is good and running, but playing sounds on the extra speakers is really troubling. I will see if my sound card drivers are up to date.