Breakable shields

HumiIiation

I am a degree holding programer, and 27 years experience, so yes, I've a fair notion of scripting. Though I haven't had a chance to fully absorb the Papyrus details yet, nor the Bethesda way of doing things.

I'm current writing my own version of "Needs Engine", or Eating, Drinking, Sleep, Staying Warm, and a Camping Skills like trapping and foraging.

I'm busy digesting the script and techniques of FrostFall, HunterBorn, and Val's Crafting Meltdown.

I am very interesting in reading through the scripts found in the breakable clothes mod you listed.

I also re-write from scratch everything, and recreate all the models I use from vanilla items, to prevent problems with copyrights, which takes time.

I am definitely going to implement your idea of breakable shields in my Immersion Mod in some capacity.

I've already created scripts for making blades sharpenable and taking notches and dulling when used, and a bow string breakage mechanism.

But it is allot easier to add such scripts on weapons, than on Armor/Clothes, because of the ease of detecting Usage.

-

Interesting indeed. Sounds like a massive task to take on, if you need modeling done im pretty fast in 3ds max :)

The guy who made the breakable clothes mod did upload his scripts on that mod, so feel free to grab them if you want.

In a classic Viking duel used to resolve a dispute between two warriors, each combatant was allowed just three shields, and after the last was destroyed, you have to fight with just your axe or sword, and from there things got allot more deadly.

In many contests, the process of exchanging blows never went beyond the breaking of the shields, as both combatants realized with the shield gone, someone was likely to die. So, the first person to destroy the other guy's last shield effectively "Won" the non-lethal contest.

There is a very historically accurate portrayal of this in the movie "The 13th Warrior".

Here is an article that discusses the Historical known features of the : Hólmgang and Einvigi

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/holmgang.shtml

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/graphics/pagecontent/holmring.jpg

These were the roles for the hólmgang: a cloak five ells square was to be laid down, with loops in the corners. Pegs with heads were to be rammed in there which were called tiösnur. He who attended to this was to approach the tiösnur in such fashion that he looked up between his legs while holding onto his earlaps and speaking the spell which later was used in the sacrifice which is called tiösnublót. Three borders (or furrows), each a foot in breadth, were to be around the cloak, and at the edge of these borders must be four posts which are called höslur (hazels). And when all this had been done the spot was called "hazelled" (völlr haslaðr). Each contestant was to have three shields, and when they were destroyed then he must step on the cloak again if he had left it before, and defend himself with his weapons thereafter. He who had been challenged was to have the first blow. If one of the two was wounded so that blood flowed on the cloak, then no further fighting was to be done. If either one stepped outside the höslur with one foot, then that is called "he yields ground"; but "he flees," if with both. Each contestant was to have someone to hold his shield for him. He who was wounded hardest was to pay hólm-ransom (hólmlausn) -- three marks of silver (Hollander, Kormáks saga, 33-4).

you learn something new everyday. lol

i like this mod idea.

I can really imagine shield duels now. Solitude execution area would fit nicely :smile:

you know what? it could even be a feature to go along side-by-side with brawling! xD

you're each allowed to use 3 low-level shields. after breaking the last one, you're stuck brawling with no shields while your opponent still has theirs. =D

hook us up with the mod when you're done. i'll help test it too. I really hate fighting against shielded enemies, because they just keep blocking every attack. quite infuriating, because than the fights stop being fun and judt become an annoying button smasher. I use knives mostly too so its even more annoyin!

hook us up with the mod when you're done. i'll help test it too. I really hate fighting against shielded enemies, because they just keep blocking every attack. quite infuriating, because than the fights stop being fun and judt become an annoying button smasher. I use knives mostly too so its even more annoyin!

i'll help test it too o/ just drop me a line and i'll help in any way i can ^^