unable to connect to database solution

anal0g

this bugged the hell outta me. i spent 4 days trying to figure it out. whenever i opened dragon age toolset it would always say unable to connect to database. for those of you out there still trying to get past this. i've listed the correct steps to getting yo poo to work-

1. download microsoft sql 2008!

2. findout the servername!

3. install toolset, but do not install sql 2005, and use YOUR servername where it says server: bwdatoolset, and the database should remain the same

4. open sql 2008, right click on database under your servername, make new database call it bw_dragonage_content.

5. right click on that click restore, add file, find under program files\dragonage\tools\dbbak you'll find database file.

6. check restore and hit ok.

7. open up configure tool set. At the first screen, the win32 game build should be the folder the actual dragon age GAME exe is under.

8. next screen should be selected as default database

9. open tool set! @~@

yeeeeeeaa boooi

Actually there's typically a simpler solution.

Go to

My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\modules

Delete : Singleplayer

That "single player" folder is not supposed to be there but it comes on once you open up the toolset. If you delete that folder after you tinker with the toolset, you'll never have that problem.

• 4 months later...

Old post perhaps, but anal0g, you're my hero!:D

Note: I had to overwrite the restore database in the sql manager and my Win32 was the default (otherwise I got an error saying it couldn't find it).

Anyhow, thank you!

This is such a common problem that theres a whole wiki page on it: http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Unable_to_connect_to_the_database

That page provides a wide variety of causes for the problem. Doing a full manual installation usually fixes it anyhow. What confounds me is why the toolset even needs to use some funky SQL server database service to run...

Probably because the raw data for the weapons and items is held in the database...

The compiled game obviously just reads from the files rather than have the complete database necessary for editing ;)

The editor programs for all of the other games Ive played simply read from the same data that the game itself uses. Its a lot more convenient, but perhaps DAO's game data is compressed into a more efficiently loading format thats not meant for editing?

Exactly. Think trying to edit NCS files. You can't as they are a one way conversion. You need the NSS file to edit and then compile the NCS script before putting that into the ERF which goes in the DAZIP...

Not the simplest method, in fact it's bloody convoluted but that's the way they chose to work. Personally I would love to see Dragon Ages's meta game applied to the Crysis rendering engine. That would be utterly stunning gfx with massive areas and realistic numbers of people available as scarily the very unoptimised CryEngine 2 is better optimised than Dragon Age's proprietary engine. Just imagine the detail you could have on the armour ;)

Exactly. Think trying to edit NCS files. You can't as they are a one way conversion. You need the NSS file to edit and then compile the NCS script before putting that into the ERF which goes in the DAZIP...

Not the simplest method, in fact it's bloody convoluted but that's the way they chose to work. Personally I would love to see Dragon Ages's meta game applied to the Crysis rendering engine. That would be utterly stunning gfx with massive areas and realistic numbers of people available as scarily the very unoptimised CryEngine 2 is better optimised than Dragon Age's proprietary engine. Just imagine the detail you could have on the armour ;)

Eh, I got my video card for $50 so Id rather not go there lol :P. Lag = bad!

As for the file formats in DAO, its really just a pain. I liked how Oblivion and FO3 stored data in a unified format. Nothing had a compiled or uncompiled format, and monsters, NPCs, maps, quests, dialog, and scripts could be lumped together into a single editable file (esm or esp). Oh well, I guess Im stuck messing with dazips and erfs and stuffs.

Btw, is there any tool that extracts and packs erfs without the toolset? It would be appreciated, thanks lol.

Not that I have seen unfortunately. Gets frustrating folder hunting for erf's.

Totally agree on the formats. There is no need to make it so complicated especially when you are making the game editable for the players. Completely bonkers they were when designing it. Think a lot of old habits carried over from the NWN and earlier days.

I see where you are coming from on the gfx card, but with a 5850 being only $180 which runs Crysis like a dream it's not that much of an upgrade any more. Hell even my 4890 keeps Crysis honest :D