Looking for Mod Ideas to Pick Up

Mattiewagg

Modding   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make Immersive Quests (see below), ArtMurder's idea or a different mod?

• Immersive Quests! (If you've got a better name, please comment below.)
    • No, you should use a different idea. (Post below.)
    • No, use [url=http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1983314-looking-for-mod-ideas-to-pick-up/?p=17231359]ArtMurder's quest idea[/url]. (+1 - ignore this.)
    • No, use the [url=http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1525668-become-a-daedric-prince/]Become a Daedric Prince[/url] idea. (+1 - ignore this.)

Alright! I've decided on Immersive Quests. Keep an eye out for it. While I do have to restart from scratch, I'm hoping to get a release out in a month or so. It may take more or less time, but I do intend to finish it. While I won't have much free time after that, I am going to try to work as hard as I can on it! Thank you all for your input.

Okay. So I just got a new computer, and I'm thinking about either pursuing a mod idea I was working on before (which I would need to restart), or picking up a different mod idea. I thought about just going through the requests section, but I decided I'd take some ideas here first.

Okay. So I'm best at quest design and scripting, so I'd rather the idea be quest-oriented. Also, I'd like the project to be somewhat large, not a quick fix or small idea. Something I could work on for a month or two.

Now, it's either somebody else's idea, or the one I was already thinking of, called Immersive Quests (for lack of a better name).

Immersive Quests

Immersive Quests aims to add new, unique, and fully voice-acted quests to the game. Rather than filler quests, like the ones that I personally feel like Skyrim is packed with, they would be in-depth and thought-out quests, most of a size similar to Blood on Ice. Some of the quests would have uniquely textured/meshed rewards, as well as multiple options to choose from. The idea is to create more quests that pull you into the story, and make you care about the outcome, as well as giving the player a freedom of choice many of Skyrim's vanilla quests don't have.

I'd like to note that I don't think there's anything wrong with filler quests, and I don't think the designers of Skyrim's quests are inherently bad at quest design or anything like that. I'm just someone who wants to see more quests in the game with longer and more in-depth storylines. Essentially, Immersive Quests will add more big(ish) quests to Skyrim, to extend your playtime, and add a bit of variety to Skyrim's quests.

If you think Immersive Quests is something you'd like to see, then vote for it. Otherwise, you can tell me your ideas for a quest line/mod. If I'm interested, I might just make it. Also, if you see a quest idea below that you like, you can "vote" for it. I'll add it to the poll.

Edited by Matthiaswagg

Okay. I'm going to give it to tomorrow, and which ever voting thing wins will be the mod I start working on. If you suggest I do a different mod, then you should provide a basic description of what the mod/questline would be about, or you can PM me to discuss it in more detail.

Also, if you've got any thoughts on Immersive Quests, or a better name, please post them below. I'd like to improve the idea as much as possible before I begin (again).

Edited by Matthiaswagg

Okay. So I just got a new computer, and I'm thinking about either pursuing a mod idea I was working on before (which I would need to restart), or picking up a different mod idea. I thought about just going through the requests section, but I decided I'd take some ideas here first.

Immersive Quests

Immersive Quests aims to remedy Skyrim's poor quest design by adding new, unique, and fully voice-acted quests to the game. Rather than filler quests, like the ones that I personally feel like Skyrim is packed with, they would be in-depth and thought-out quests, most of a size similar to Blood on Ice. Some of the quests would have uniquely textured/meshed rewards, as well as multiple options to choose from. The idea is to create more quests that pull you into the story, and make you care about the outcome, as well as giving the player a freedom of choice many of Skyrim's vanilla quests don't have.

I'd like to say that not all of Skyrim's quests are that bad, and it's entirely my opinion that many of them are.

If you think Immersive Quests is something you'd like to see, then vote for it. Otherwise, you can tell me your ideas for a quest line/mod. If I'm interested, I might just make it.

Hello, I will give you my two cents.

First of all: Don't disrespect bethesda. In other words, don't disrespect your GOD. Just because GOD makes the platypus, ugly people, beaurocracies, Ebola and Cancer, doesn't mean they are bad at it.

Second of all, you have said nothing your paragraph that actually tells me why bethesda is bad at making quests. You mentioned what you thought was a great quest, blood on the ice, and compared it to the largest number of available quests in the game. In other words, you are comparing bethesda against itself, which doesn't make any sense.

You said absolutely, nothing to the effect of "what does bethesda need to do to improve quests, you simply said stuff like bethesda's quest design is poor, many of the quests they have are bad, even though you would like to believe the opposite, and that your ideas for making quests are better,

because you would have fully voiced quests that have unique functions and crucial points of decision dialogue that can make or break the outcomes of events.

You sound like a hippocrite.

I am telling you this because I've been reading recent forum discussions here after posting my own topic. I figured I should read what other people have to say and give my advice, reccomendation, and input. So I hope you don't get put off by this.

But it's upsetting to read something like "bethesda made bad game" and "bethesda sucks, they did all this wrong." Tendo did it too, and it doesn't matter who you are, that is the wrong way to go about modding this game.

If you're going to make a modification called "immersive quests" for the sake of telling bethesda "this is how it's done." Then you are doing this for the wrong reason.

Excuse me if I sound like a purist in this game or anything, but I have a large number of modifications too. But I don't mod my game because I think "augh, bethesda why you do this to me, ugh, stupid combat system, ugh boring quests" I mod my game because I think "Wow, am I really capable of doing this and that? Can we do that? Let's do that."

And the only thing I have to say about Skyrim that I don't like, is that I don't like Delphine and the Blades. I just don't, I think they're stupid and there's plotholes in the blades questline. That's my biggest peeve with Skyrim Main quest. And I think they make you dislike Delphine on purpose. I don't know why.

But back to the topic...if you really want to make a mod called Immersive Quests, I think it would be a great idea. But your modification's merit is only worth as much respect as the respect you give to the people who give you the ability to mod this game at all.

I've been knocking around an idea for a while, maybe you can do something with it? I have no talent in questing or scripting, though I can maybe do some voice acting and texture work.

The basic concept is a sort of "end game" final challenge, involving multiple fleshed out, complex characters you get to interact with and then fight, should you choose to. Basically, your character discovers a "cult" of dragonborns who are incredibly powerful, and have the ability to travel through different realities. Upon defeating alduin, you would get a "world render" ability that allows you to travel through dimensional planes, allowing you to meet these other dragonborn, and also allowing them to appear in your game. While they are all generally one group, they are not necessarily all allies. Some of them, would be more "good" and some of them would be "evil", for example even if you are are the leader of the companions, you may meet another dragonborn who also became leader of the companions in his world, and he may be able to give you some useful weapons if you do something for him (which probably involves another member of the cult), same for a headmaster of the mages guild with magic spells. However, some of them may be evil, and are the listener for the dark brotherhood in their universe, and may attack you without being provoked, though ideally, none of them would just attack on site, you would at least get a chance to talk to them. Some of them however, may simply come into your world, and may appear at total random when you least expect it, to either help you, or mess with you.

It would be kind of like "the league of dragonborns" you can choose to either slaughter them all, and come out the only remaining dragonborn in any reality, or simply gain their favor, and eventually work your way to being their leader, kind of like an entirely new guild, but with each member being a highly skilled, complex character who will befriend or attempt to kill you based on your actions.

Each one would, ideally, have their own special set of armor and weapons. Each one, should you choose to fight them, would also be an epic boss battle.

Immersive Quests

Immersive Quests aims to remedy Skyrim's poor quest design by adding new, unique, and fully voice-acted quests to the game. Rather than filler quests, like the ones that I personally feel like Skyrim is packed with, they would be in-depth and thought-out quests, most of a size similar to Blood on Ice. Some of the quests would have uniquely textured/meshed rewards, as well as multiple options to choose from. The idea is to create more quests that pull you into the story, and make you care about the outcome, as well as giving the player a freedom of choice many of Skyrim's vanilla quests don't have.

I'd like to say that not all of Skyrim's quests are that bad, and it's entirely my opinion that many of them are.

If you think Immersive Quests is something you'd like to see, then vote for it. Otherwise, you can tell me your ideas for a quest line/mod. If I'm interested, I might just make it.

Hello, I will give you my two cents.

First of all: Don't disrespect bethesda. In other words, don't disrespect your GOD. Just because GOD makes the platypus, ugly people, beaurocracies, Ebola and Cancer, doesn't mean they are bad at it.

Second of all, you have said nothing your paragraph that actually tells me why bethesda is bad at making quests. You mentioned what you thought was a great quest, blood on the ice, and compared it to the largest number of available quests in the game. In other words, you are comparing bethesda against itself, which doesn't make any sense.

You said absolutely, nothing to the effect of "what does bethesda need to do to improve quests, you simply said stuff like bethesda's quest design is poor, many of the quests they have are bad, even though you would like to believe the opposite, and that your ideas for making quests are better,

because you would have fully voiced quests that have unique functions and crucial points of decision dialogue that can make or break the outcomes of events.

You sound like a hippocrite.

I am telling you this because I've been reading recent forum discussions here after posting my own topic. I figured I should read what other people have to say and give my advice, reccomendation, and input. So I hope you don't get put off by this.

But it's upsetting to read something like "bethesda made bad game" and "bethesda sucks, they did all this wrong." Tendo did it too, and it doesn't matter who you are, that is the wrong way to go about modding this game.

If you're going to make a modification called "immersive quests" for the sake of telling bethesda "this is how it's done." Then you are doing this for the wrong reason.

Excuse me if I sound like a purist in this game or anything, but I have a large number of modifications too. But I don't mod my game because I think "augh, bethesda why you do this to me, ugh, stupid combat system, ugh boring quests" I mod my game because I think "Wow, am I really capable of doing this and that? Can we do that? Let's do that."

And the only thing I have to say about Skyrim that I don't like, is that I don't like Delphine and the Blades. I just don't, I think they're stupid and there's plotholes in the blades questline. That's my biggest peeve with Skyrim Main quest. And I think they make you dislike Delphine on purpose. I don't know why.

But back to the topic...if you really want to make a mod called Immersive Quests, I think it would be a great idea. But your modification's merit is only worth as much respect as the respect you give to the people who give you the ability to mod this game at all.

I did word it pretty badly, looking back on that. I don't really mean to disrespect Bethesda at all. I think they made a beautiful game, and while I think it has its flaws, it's still a fantastic game. Any game - anything, really - is bound to have flaws and issues. Nothing can be perfect.

So I'll go back and reword that first post.

I've been knocking around an idea for a while, maybe you can do something with it? I have no talent in questing or scripting, though I can maybe do some voice acting and texture work.

The basic concept is a sort of "end game" final challenge, involving multiple fleshed out, complex characters you get to interact with and then fight, should you choose to. Basically, your character discovers a "cult" of dragonborns who are incredibly powerful, and have the ability to travel through different realities. Upon defeating alduin, you would get a "world render" ability that allows you to travel through dimensional planes, allowing you to meet these other dragonborn, and also allowing them to appear in your game. While they are all generally one group, they are not necessarily all allies. Some of them, would be more "good" and some of them would be "evil", for example even if you are are the leader of the companions, you may meet another dragonborn who also became leader of the companions in his world, and he may be able to give you some useful weapons if you do something for him (which probably involves another member of the cult), same for a headmaster of the mages guild with magic spells. However, some of them may be evil, and are the listener for the dark brotherhood in their universe, and may attack you without being provoked, though ideally, none of them would just attack on site, you would at least get a chance to talk to them. Some of them however, may simply come into your world, and may appear at total random when you least expect it, to either help you, or mess with you.

It would be kind of like "the league of dragonborns" you can choose to either slaughter them all, and come out the only remaining dragonborn in any reality, or simply gain their favor, and eventually work your way to being their leader, kind of like an entirely new guild, but with each member being a highly skilled, complex character who will befriend or attempt to kill you based on your actions.

Each one would, ideally, have their own special set of armor and weapons. Each one, should you choose to fight them, would also be an epic boss battle.

Isn't this rather similar to the Dragonborn questline? With the idea that there is another Dragonborn in a different dimension, and you have to fight them? I know that your idea is more complex, and likely more interesting. However, if someone were playing the Dragonborn DLC at the same time as this, it would be kind of duplicate, though not exactly redundant.

I'm not dismissing your idea, though, since it seems interesting. I'll definitely think about it.

Isn't this rather similar to the Dragonborn questline? With the idea that there is another Dragonborn in a different dimension, and you have to fight them? I know that your idea is more complex, and likely more interesting. However, if someone were playing the Dragonborn DLC at the same time as this, it would be kind of duplicate, though not exactly redundant.

I'm not dismissing your idea, though, since it seems interesting. I'll definitely think about it.

I havent played through dragonborn yet for some odd reason, so I don't know the specifics on what it's like. I thought the other dragonborn in that DLC simply rose from the dead? If not, then this idea could simply be tied into dragonborn, I mean, if one dragonborn can crawl through reality into yours, then why not more? Why can't some of them be good guys?

To be honest, the main concept could still be done even if you totally remove the dragonborn and dimension jumping concept. Simply have a secret "guild" of ultra powerful warriors, mages, assassins and thieves that secretly control skyrim from under a shroud of illusion. Maybe you have to deal with these people once you complete each quest line? like, upon completing the mages guild, you learn that the real leader of the mages guild is a member of this group, and you have to either do some quests for him, or defeat him to secure your place as the real leader of the mages guild.

Hmm, I should probably play dragonborn and dawnguard. I've been so busy with modding, I just keep forgetting to! ^w^;;

I did vote yes, but I do have an idea.

You know Trainwiz's Brhuce Hammar: Legacy? I'd actually love to see some more mods like that, why? Because satire is amazing, and that's what Brhuce Hammar does, not to mention that it adds an amazing companion who is probably one of the best in my opinion, especially because of the character's similarities with Deadpool and the comical storyline it has. Definitely would love mods with similar satire to Brhuce Hammar: Legacy and/or the amazing TV show South Park.

EDIT BELOW

I havent played through dragonborn yet for some odd reason, so I don't know the specifics on what it's like. I thought the other dragonborn in that DLC simply rose from the dead? If not, then this idea could simply be tied into dragonborn, I mean, if one dragonborn can crawl through reality into yours, then why not more? Why can't some of them be good guys?

To be honest, the main concept could still be done even if you totally remove the dragonborn and dimension jumping concept. Simply have a secret "guild" of ultra powerful warriors, mages, assassins and thieves that secretly control skyrim from under a shroud of illusion. Maybe you have to deal with these people once you complete each quest line? like, upon completing the mages guild, you learn that the real leader of the mages guild is a member of this group, and you have to either do some quests for him, or defeat him to secure your place as the real leader of the mages guild.

Hmm, I should probably play dragonborn and dawnguard. I've been so busy with modding, I just keep forgetting to! ^w^;;

So, a guild that's like the Illuminati? I love this idea.

Edited by LordAndSavior

That is interesting. I can just imagine at some point, you hear or are talking to some of the members of the guild, and they're discussing how they've manipulated and controlled most of the important events in Skyrim so far.

Maybe they even knew you were Dragonborn/powerful and that's why you were caught at the border. Definitely considering this idea. If I decide to take it up, I'll PM you so we can discuss the idea further. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see the outcome of the poll though.

Edited by Matthiaswagg

LordAndSavior: I was thinking Free Masons, but it's the same basic concept, yeah! A secret shadow society that controls everything in skyrim, consisting of a few, highly fleshed out members who you can buddy up to, or go toe to toe with! It would also be nice to have some characters acknowledge how epic your character is and his accomplishments are. Maybe those commoners don't understand what you've done for the world, but these people surely do!

Matthiaswagg: I'm glad you like the idea! I can help you flesh it out a lot more if you want me too, I can even help come up with some of the quest concepts, though I have ZERO talent in actually putting together quests in the CK, I can write for them, and I can maybe do some of the voice acting if you need some help in that area, I have not done voice acting before but I have a decent mic, and am really good at impressions, so I should be able to pull off the different races. ^-^