Need assistance with new armor replacement

mate926

Just looked at your nif. First off I use blender so can't help with the 3d max part. But in the nif there are a few problems. I don't no why people do this but the game likes it better if you name the top NiNode to draugrarmormale_1.nif instead of scene root. Ok... Also your body in the nif is named HeavyArmorBodyBIG. It should be called malebody so that the game no's that its the actual body for skin textures and if you end up making more armors with more body parts. Just name them malebody, malebody:0 and so on. Any ways the last two meshes partitions aren't set to 32 they BP_TORSO. Being that its a full armor I would my self change calve partitions and four arm partitions to 32 as well to avoid future problems. So any hoo it would go like this

NiNode draugrarmormale_1.nif

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor

Partition=32

NiTriShape=malebody

Partition=32

Partition=32

Partition=32

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor:0

Partition=32

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor:1

Partition=32

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor:2

Partition=32

You can name the armor mesh any thing you like and if you had 50 partitions on one single mesh you can change them all to 32 and the game wont care. Just as long as they are not set as BP_TORSO. If there left to BP_TORSO or not set to what the creation kits set to they will come up invisible or in piece in game. As far as the leg issue goes check to make sure both nif_1 and nif_0 are the same file size. If they are not then it will cause crazy spike issues. Try putting nif_1 as nif_0 to see if it goes away. If it does then you need to fix either the bigger or smaller mesh.

Hope this help and have fun modding.

I tried doing what you said but the only thing that changed was I was able to use the weight slider, the armor still looked weird. I realized that the new parts of armor had no BSdismemberskin modifier on them, so I added them. Unfortunately, now those two parts of the armor are completely invisible, leaving a half naked npc. I have checked the texture paths to see if everything is ok, and I have checked off "has vertex colors" with yes. I have also faced the normals, nothing seems to be working.

Read this thread. There's a lot of good info in it. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/478312-tutorial-3ds-max-skinned-meshes-into-game/?hl=skyrim%20armor%203ds%20max

Don't check "has vertex colors" unless you used vertex colors in your model. When you added the dismember modifier did you select the appropriate polys and assign a body part to them? If I remember there's a good tutorial on youtube about building dismembers.

Just looked at your nif. First off I use blender so can't help with the 3d max part. But in the nif there are a few problems. I don't no why people do this but the game likes it better if you name the top NiNode to draugrarmormale_1.nif instead of scene root. Ok... Also your body in the nif is named HeavyArmorBodyBIG. It should be called malebody so that the game no's that its the actual body for skin textures and if you end up making more armors with more body parts. Just name them malebody, malebody:0 and so on. Any ways the last two meshes partitions aren't set to 32 they BP_TORSO. Being that its a full armor I would my self change calve partitions and four arm partitions to 32 as well to avoid future problems. So any hoo it would go like this

NiNode draugrarmormale_1.nif

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor

Partition=32

NiTriShape=malebody

Partition=32

Partition=32

Partition=32

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor:0

Partition=32

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor:1

Partition=32

NiTriShape=HeavyArmor:2

Partition=32

You can name the armor mesh any thing you like and if you had 50 partitions on one single mesh you can change them all to 32 and the game wont care. Just as long as they are not set as BP_TORSO. If there left to BP_TORSO or not set to what the creation kits set to they will come up invisible or in piece in game. As far as the leg issue goes check to make sure both nif_1 and nif_0 are the same file size. If they are not then it will cause crazy spike issues. Try putting nif_1 as nif_0 to see if it goes away. If it does then you need to fix either the bigger or smaller mesh.

Hope this help and have fun modding.

I have changed the all the partitions to 32. I have also tried switching the 0.nif to 1.nif and vice versa. They are still both completely invisible.

Edited by mate926

I tried doing what you said but the only thing that changed was I was able to use the weight slider, the armor still looked weird. I realized that the new parts of armor had no BSdismemberskin modifier on them, so I added them. Unfortunately, now those two parts of the armor are completely invisible, leaving a half naked npc. I have checked the texture paths to see if everything is ok, and I have checked off "has vertex colors" with yes. I have also faced the normals, nothing seems to be working.

Read this thread. There's a lot of good info in it. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/478312-tutorial-3ds-max-skinned-meshes-into-game/?hl=skyrim%20armor%203ds%20max

Don't check "has vertex colors" unless you used vertex colors in your model. When you added the dismember modifier did you select the appropriate polys and assign a body part to them? If I remember there's a good tutorial on youtube about building dismembers.

If it makes any difference, both meshes still have a different file size. This would only affect the in game model if both models had a morpher on them correct? I can deal with that later, all I care about now is _0.nif and _1.nif working separately in game.

I have tried using your (dizzasterjuice's) step by step tutorial on how to get a weight slider going, yet when i try to export my _0.nif I get the error "bad niskindata some vertices have no weight at all". Is there any way to fix this?

The best I can tell you is to take one mesh and reshape it to fit the smaller body and don't touch the weight on the smaller mesh. So if you made the mesh to fit the bigger malebody first then reshape it to fit the smaller mesh and export both separably only changing the weight on the bigger mesh. This way both mesh are the exact same weight just different sizes. This is the only way it works for blender so I'd figure it would be the same for 3d max but I'm just not sure what 3d max does on export. Hope this helps.

I have tried using your (dizzasterjuice's) step by step tutorial on how to get a weight slider going, yet when i try to export my _0.nif I get the error "bad niskindata some vertices have no weight at all". Is there any way to fix this?

Import/Merge the body you are using, CBBE, UNP, etc. Then copy and paste the skin modifier from the body you just imported to the stack of the new mesh you are making. If it moves or changes the mesh at all, go to advanced tab of the skin modifier and uncheck "Always Deforms".

Ok so it's been a while since I have needed help with this armor, but I have one final problem before release. There are segments of the armor that stretch when moving even after I have set separate weights to specific vertices in 3ds max. I don't understand why it still happens in game.

https://imageshack.com/i/iqawzyg5j

https://imageshack.com/i/ey4KN6LPj