KiokothePirate

Ok, so I've been looking into this little issue for a awhile now and can't find a good solution. I have a follower who is also my wife/steward at Lakeview Manor and she doesn't sleep in the upstairs double bed. Instead, she goes and stands in the room where the children's beds would be. I haven't made those beds yet because I'm afraid she'll claim on of them and I won't be able to adopt two kids.

I'm not really seeing any mods that I feel confident can fix my issue and I'm not sure if the consul command "setownership" would work and still allow me to use the bed. Would anyone happen to have any suggestions on how to fix this?

it sounds like you have the bedroom wing built, yes? Your spouse will automatically use the double bed in there rather than the double bed upstairs. She won't claim the two small single beds as they're flagged as belonging to the child-owned faction. There is likely a spouse bed keyword on the house center marker that points to the marriage bed in the bedroom wing that gets enabled when you build it, and since the bed isn't built yet (or rather disabled) theres nowhere for her to sleep so she just stands around all night...

I wouldn't use "setownership" if I were you it tends to mess things up because hearthfires tells the kids to sleep in those beds and if you change ownership they'll still try and use them anyway leading to conflict with you and/or other NPC's, and children go to bed early...

Children can sleep in either the two beds in the wing or the two single beds upstairs, hearthfires will randomly pick between the 4 (assuming you've fully constructed upstairs and the dresser between the beds which counts as its a Child Chest), otherwise it'll choose the the 2 downstairs beds only (complicated huh?)

N.B. to cut a long story short if you want your spouse to sleep upstairs then don't build the bedroom wing and the 2 kids will sleep in the other 2 beds upstairs. No need for the bedroom wing at all, which is something that catches a lot of people out, myself included.

Edited by soupdragon1234

it sounds like you have the bedroom wing built, yes? Your spouse will automatically use the double bed in there rather than the double bed upstairs. She won't claim the two small single beds as they're flagged as belonging to the child-owned faction. There is likely a spouse bed keyword on the house center marker that points to the marriage bed in the bedroom wing that gets enabled when you build it, and since the bed isn't built yet (or rather disabled) theres nowhere for her to sleep so she just stands around all night...

I wouldn't use "setownership" if I were you it tends to mess things up because hearthfires tells the kids to sleep in those beds and if you change ownership they'll still try and use them anyway leading to conflict with you and/or other NPC's, and children go to bed early...

Children can sleep in either the two beds in the wing or the two single beds upstairs, hearthfires will randomly pick between the 4 (assuming you've fully constructed upstairs and the dresser between the beds which counts as its a Child Chest), otherwise it'll choose the the 2 downstairs beds only (complicated huh?)

N.B. to cut a long story short if you want your spouse to sleep upstairs then don't build the bedroom wing and the 2 kids will sleep in the other 2 beds upstairs. No need for the bedroom wing at all, which is something that catches a lot of people out, myself included.

I actually don't have the bedroom wing built. Could this issue have been caused by making her my steward first and then marrying her? The house was fully upgraded when I got her as a follower and the only bed in the house at the time was the player double bed on the second floor.

Your wife are scripted to sleep with you in the first floor bedroom wing she well only sleep in the second floor if it's not your wife

You don't have bedroom wing so it well not sleep because it's not scripted to sleep in different bed

That doesn't sound right. In all my other play throughs I've never built the bedroom wing and this has never been an issue.

I actually don't have the bedroom wing built. Could this issue have been caused by making her my steward first and then marrying her? The house was fully upgraded when I got her as a follower and the only bed in the house at the time was the player double bed on the second floor.

Ah. She probably is claiming one of the single beds then. The single beds can be slept in by anyone including children. You'll still be able to move children in but one or other of them won't be able to sleep they'll just stand by the bed all night.

The DLC houses can be a lottery as to who sleeps in which beds as the only beds which are tagged as Child Owned are in the bedroom wing. (Children will always sleep in the two singles upstairs but other NPC's may try and do so also)

You may have to move your family to another player house then move then move them back, everytime you move the beds are reassigned. Annoying but there it is.

Edited by soupdragon1234

Ah. She probably is claiming one of the single beds then. The single beds can be slept in by anyone including children. You'll still be able to move children in but one or other of them won't be able to sleep they'll just stand by the bed all night.

The DLC houses can be a lottery as to who sleeps in which beds as the only beds which are tagged as Player Owned and Child Owned are in the bedroom wing. Its for this reason that beds are "owned" by a faction in vanilla houses to avoid this trouble.

You'll have to move your family to another player house then move then move them back, everytime you move the beds are reassigned at random you may have to do this several times until they sleep in the correct beds. Annoying but there it is.

That's what I thought was going on, but since she's also my steward at the house she isn't able to move to another location is she? I know I tried moving once after I married her and I never got the quest to go visit her in the new location and she just stayed where she was.

Did you try speaking to her and asking to move to another house? There should be a dialogue option to move to one of your other houses, assuming you have one.

I did, but she didn't move. I was just looking into it though and it seems that since I made her a steward for a DLC home, I can only move her to another DLC home by having her follow me and getting her to be my steward at the new home. Then once she's there I can do the same thing to get her back to Lakeview. Given that this requires me to build up at least the basic version of another home, it seems it would be easier to do this before adopting. That way I don't have to build as much. Hopefully then, she'll choose the double bed. Does this make sense?