The ultimate PC specs for Skyrim?

Alventiothy

Thankyou for your replies, and yes, i wasn't looking for a computer that could run Skyrim maxed out per-se, as I know exactly what that is. I was more asking if the Skyrim engine has a limit that is currently possible to reach with modern pc components.

I have fiddled with the ini settings a few times but it really doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever to my game, has anyone else experienced this?

I still hear people talking about Skyrim having a 3.1gb limit, but I thought someone had found a way to circumvent this through SKSE? I guess to put it more bluntly (and hypothetically). If someone created a (hypothetical) mod tomorrow that retextured the entire game with 4-8k textures, quadrupled the number of npcs, doubled the number of quests and added 1000+weather types and effects......would the Skyrim engine be the limit or is it feasible that if not now then in the future a pc spec would be possible to run it? It may be a silly question its just something I've always wondered. I know the Skyrim engine has limits, I just wonder if anyone has actually fully HIT them all yet.

It's pretty easy to take Papyrus to its limits. Frostfall, all of Isoku's mods, footprints and one of those improved blood mods will make for script reply issue no matter what kind of rig you're playing on.

Texture-wise, you can keep throwing money at it for quite a while to improve results, but I don't think 8k landscape textures would be feasible.

Mind you all of these come from observing people talking about their awesome engine, since I play on a very weak laptop.

I agree with the rest here, buy the good hardware, but don't go overboard just because the budget allows it. Instead spend some premium on peripherals, as these are what you see and hear and essentially define your gaming experience.

If he needs a screen, based on your post I think he will appreciate a 27" inch 1440 IPS screen. BenQ has a good one for gaming that is priced competitively.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/benq-to-release-gw2765ht-gaming-27-ips-monitor.html

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG

I play on a similar Dell screen and it makes RPGs like Skyrim great, it gives you something that all the mods can't do by themselves.

Else as others said, the goto i5, 16 gb RAM, 250 or 500 gb SSD (Backup HDD maybe), and a GTX970, which has 4gb of RAM. If he wants to let the pig dance, then go with a GTX980. Choose Gigabyte G1 Gaming, or ASUS Strix.

I wouldn't skimp on sound. A solution would be the Corsair Gaming Sound. Maybe abit more savy, a pair of Audioengine A2s.

Get him a decent mouse, and a decent mechanical keyboard (cherry redmx or brownmx), and he will surely feel he has gotten his moneys worth and an awesome system.

Edited by FaelixRim

• 3 weeks later...

As a little bump, my friend ordered himself a new screen (1440p) along with some new peripherals and is enjoying Skyrim anew once again so thanks for the help.

In other news, my own personal crazy mission to uber-mod skyrim has begun as i've just ordered a 4790k (h110gt cooled) and gtx 980 (oc) so I will be reporting back on how many texture mods and npc adding mods I can manage on these new specs. Note: i realize the engine has limits, but it seems these limits are still being pushed back and beaten every day (enboost/sheson etc etc), and so I decided a new system can't hurt when desiring a mod setup consisting of things like:

A slew of very high resolution texture mods

STEP Extended

Perkus Maximus

Immersive Armors/Weapons

Skyrim Immersive Creatures (SIC)

Interesting Npcs + Inconsequenial Npcs + Populated roads/cities/dungeons etc

All of Jk's town mods with Dawn of Series Merged

Falskaar + Wyrmstooth + STEP PACK REGS QUESTS

Other town + land enhancing mods

I've heard it can be done, and I'm eager and willing to put some effort into finding out. One thing is for sure, modding skyrim is without doubt the most addictive pc experience i've ever come across.

What I noticed after a lot of tweaking is that loading time can be a factor (prolly with load order of mods being important as well)

For instance with JK's Skyrim I got loads more *random* CTDs, prolly because it could not load everything in time. So whiterun with all its npcs (modded) my machine couldn't load things fast enough for Skyrim to initialise everything.