Upon entering the game I realised my nights were actually too bright for my taste. So to change this, I had to deactivate then reactivate the climates of tamriel patch then set the night level to 2. This worked, and now the night level is fine.

But uninstalling mods causes issues with your save, I know this. The character was a 'test' character anyway. But what about my game as a whole? Can I go ahead and start a new game just fine? Or do i have to uninstall skyrim +mods and start again from scratch?

Thanks

If you're saying you just reinstalled a mod and now it's working fine then, no. You should be absolutely fine just starting a new game. As long as you uninstalled and reinstalled said mods correctly. Should be easy enough if you're using a mod manager. You still technically have the same mod installed and the change you made is only visually, at least thats what I understand from your post, so you might even be ok carrying on with the save you already have. Best practice is to start a new save though, or read the mod page for CoT and find out, I think what you did was similar enough to updating a mod so find out what it says about updating CoT with an existing game/save.

Like qwertyzeldar said, you only have to reinstall Skyrim if it's totally messed up, so as a last resort. If you actually start experiencing issues just make a new topic on here and you'll get help with it I'm sure.