GECK crashing on rendering

Aintiarna

Further Edit: So I've managed to stop it crashing by a process of trial and error. Changing the following line in geckcustom.ini is what did it.

bUseFaceGenHeads=1

to

bUseFaceGenHeads=0

Of course, all the npcs are headless. Anyone know why this was the cause of my crashes or if there's a better solution?

-------

I'm itching to make some more mods so I would appreciate any advice on this problem as it's driving me mad atm.

Basically the GECK loads fine. I even managed to make a script and perk based mod or two, but as soon as I try to load a cell in the render window it crashes. Windows 8.1 error trace reports a BEX buffer exception error but nothing more useful than that. It doesn't happen with every cell (Victor's shack loads fine for instance). But it will not load any cells with NPCs in it nor will it load any exterior cells. The crashes are consistent and not intermittent.

I've tried the following to fix it:

Running as admin +/- vista compatibility.

Patched to be large address aware with nt-core.

Running with Geck-pu (also tried with geck-pu and nvse-loader).

I am not using any ENB.

I have a suspicion that it's related to an issue with my graphics card - GTX 980m, but I can't pin it down. After the GECK crashes a couple of times, New Vegas itself won't render (crashes on loading all save files and new game whether I launch via steam or with FNV4gb launcher) until I reinstall Nvidia drivers. (Only a clean reinstall fixes it). The same issue occurs if I run Geforce Experience and 'optimise' for New Vegas.

Thanks.

Edit: Nipton Tinker house crashes the geck on rendering, but if I copy it and remove the dead legionary, the copy will then render fine. Same applies to any other cell with NPCs in it.

Edited by tirnoney

Might be caused by the multibound setting in the geck.ini, try following:

go to C:\Users\**your usser account name**\Documents\My Games\falloutnv\

open the GECKCustom.ini in notepad or sth like this and ...

set the value "bUseMultibounds=1" to "bUseMultibounds=0"

Edited by tortured Tomato

Might be caused by the multibound setting in the geck.ini, try following:

go to C:\Users\**your usser account name**\Documents\My Games\falloutnv\

open the GECKCustom.ini in notepad or sth like this and ...

set the value "bUseMultibounds=1" to "bUseMultibounds=0"

Worth a try but no different I'm afraid. At least I've managed to narrow it specifically to a problem with rendering npc faces. It seems like such an odd bug. Why would the GECK be perfectly happy rendering scenery, NPC bodies and arms but crash immediately on loading facegen data?

Thanks for your help.

• 3 years later...