Bizarre glitches, Whiterun, Bannered Mare, textures, CTDs

BlueGunk

I'm an experienced user of Mods (think LOOT, Bash, sensible, long experience). I recently started a new game and, as usual, I'm in Whiterun getting the game built. Only this time I am having a repeated issue of three things that are not always happening at the same time: CTD on entering Bannered Mare, Arcadia's cauldron Alchemy Table turning weirdly black and smoking, and a pair of boots on Arcadia's counter losing their texture and turning purple.

Just when I think I have it sorted, part of this sequence will reappear and the result is a CTD. At first I blamed JK's Whiterun, then ETAC, but with those gone and the game saves rolled back, and having experimented with various mods present or unticked, I am getting to the end of my tether.

Load order is attached (sorry - but the functionality issues this weekend appear to have disabled the BBCodes so I can't use a spoiler). Whatever it is is faulting TESVEdit and the only serious changes I have made between this play through and the last is updating the Unofficial Patches.

Should anyone have any experience of this, and suggest where I can track the fault, I'd be most grateful. Not even a TESSVEdit run through picks anything up. Papyrus looks innocent, too.

Thanks!

JK's Whiterun and ETAC don't have anything to do with interior cells. They alter exterior cells, so you can put those back into your load order. They are not causing the issues.

Interior issues will have to do mods that alter said interior cell. Mods such as The Useless Shop and Interior Overhaul or Skyrim Radioactive. Those are mods that alter Interior cells.

However, looking at your mod list; I don't see any type of mod that overhauls interiors (unless I overlooked it). So that's not your problem. If you do have one that I missed and one has to do with Bannered Mare; that could be why it's crashing upon entering. If not... I don't know since you said you started a new game.

Items turning purple have to do with a missing texture and/or mesh file OR the item is pointed to the wrong file path. You won't know which one it is unless you're able to know which mod is causing the purple texture in the first place. When that is found, you'll need to check to see if the texture and/or mesh file is there. If it is, then you'll need to fix the file path in the CK.

With TES5Edit, you would need to load ALL of your mods and see which ones, if any, are altering The Bannered Mare, Alchemy tables, and those boots.

I do have a question though... were you ever able to enter The Bannered Mare at all? Even just once? If you were, trying refreshing everything in game by waiting 31 in-game days. I suggest using No Boring Sleep-Wait Menu.

If it's still crashing upon trying to enter... you might want to check all your mods and see if they're all updated before starting a new game. And I also suggest to not use outdated mods. Some old mods are still fine to use, but a lot of them are not. If the mods is from 2012 and hasn't been updated, I advise against using it.

You also might want to personalize your load order for a better one. LOOT does its job fairly well, but ehh... read this here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/753253-only-you-can-prevent-forest-fires/. Read under the Load Order and Mod Conflicts section. Focus on the part that is quoted. I has a good load order listed 1 - 11. You do not have to have it in that particular order, but it's a great guideline.

The Unofficial Patches (USKP) can be... buggy sometimes. I never dare updating them unless I'm starting a fresh new game. Never update them mid-game. That's my opinion anyway. I know that you didn't updated mid-game. I'm just saying this for other people to read. But even updating all the Unofficial Patches and starting a new game; can still have an effect on the game and other mods. Some mods need to be updated to compatibility of the newest USKP. If I decide to finally update my USKP's, I'll make sure to check updates for ALL of my mods.

Edited by Baibaihe

If worst comes to worst you can get a general idea of which mod is causing the problem by deactivating chunks of your mods at a time or running it with certain mods selected through Mod Organizer and seeing if you still get CTDS.

Thanks for your helpful replies. Sadly, I'd tried most of the ideas already. Each time I thought I'd got the culprit, it would resurface again. The 'Forest Fires' link is really handy - I'll keep that and read through it - thanks! LOOTs good, but sometimes you need to make your own decisions. I'd tried the TESVEdit approach but after a day at work my eyes started to glaze over. I woke up an hour later... :smile:

In the end out of total frustration I threw out the game and started again. This time I have used STEP's recommendations to help me load up my mods because I suspect I had a combination of mod conflicts and texture loading bad choices in the failed game. So far, so good in the new one!

• 1 year later...

I know this is very late to the game and I hate to necrothread, but just so you know (and others who might come to this thread with the exact same problems, like me) the culprit is the Enhanced Light and FX mod. Removing it fixes the problem with Bannered Mare CTD, Missing textures in Whiterun interiors (Arcadia's Cauldron, Belethor's Goods, Temple of Kynareth, etc).