Skyrim Mods - Best To Date?

Bellthazarr

*Forum Moderator Please Feel Free To Move This To A More Appropriate Page*

Hello all! Bellthazarr here -

I am in the process of trying to create STABLE but BEAUTIFULLY REALISTIC Skyrim for medium end PCs with mods found here on the Nexus. My problem is - I don't have time to go through ALL the mods to figure out which ones are the best, and which ones work together, so I need ya'lls help.

To those offering their advice, I will give you a shout out in my videos if I used your suggestions once I have completed Perfectly modding my Skyrim. I am placing my PC specs at the bottom of this post as reference to my machine capabilities and mod compatibility. I am also somewhat of a mod creator so I will be trying to merge or re create "1 mod to rule them all!"

I'd like to give a shout out to mXr Mods Weekly for giving me the inspiration to try and compile this list.

The list below are the areas I am most concerned with atm - The list may change in time.

***Please Only Post REALISTIC MODS (As Vanilla or Lore Friendly as Possible, but Higher Res)!*** - ADULT CONTENT ACCEPTED!

- Grass Textures

- Sky Textures

- Water Textures

- Sun Glare

- Better looking NPCs

- Better NPC Clothing texture

- Best Player Skeleton (compatible with most female armors)

- Best Player Body Mesh (as high res and real looking as possible)

- Best Animation Pack (really love the high heals!)

- Best Player Face

- Best Player Hair - ApachiiSkyHair - sugguested by ElioraArin - Anything better?

- Best ENB

- Anything else that adds to the realness of Skyrims looks

I basically want to keep Skyrim as vanilla as possible, but LOOK like as next gen graphics as possible.

***PLEASE NO FRUITY OR DARK MODS Ex: All Dead trees, or all palm trees)***

***MODS ALREADY INSTALLED***

- Official Skyrim Update

- Official Skyrim Texture patch 01,02,03

- Unofficial Skyrim Patch

- Unofficial High Res Patch

- Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

- Unofficial Harthfire Patch

- Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

- SKSE Scripts

- SkyUI5

- EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE 7/28/15

Edited by Bellthazarr

I hope you're prepared for the UNP vs CBBE debate for female body replacers! Personally UNP without huge breasts!! I recommend taking a look at Maevan2's Mature Skin Texture & Body for females - I don't currently use it but someone else recommended it in another thread & it looks exceptionally well done & absolutely ideal if you are after realism with different options for personal taste. Book of Silence is the best I have found for armor textures, ApachiiSkyHair for hair & RS Children for kids. I also use Better Males - it was all I could find for men & it looks great.

I can't wait for you to finish this, it's a great idea! :D

I'm not an expert on performance or medium/high-end specs but I'll do my best:

If you want to change how the game looks but don't want to use an ENB, try "I can't believe it's not an enb" which I haven't tried but I've heard it gives you control of the color balance. As far as I know it shouldn't have any performance cost whatsoever. (Watch "Skyrim Mod: I can't blieve it's not an enb" from the Brodual channel. A lot of the mods down below are also covered in their videos)

Water: Either" Pure Waters", "Realistic Water Two" (the one I use) or W.A.T.E.R. There should be different resolution options for all of these, I think.

To fix the skyline or ripple bug: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54185/?

For the NPC's I use "Skysights skins" but there's a mod called "Windsong character overhaul" which I would consider very lore-friendly (well, maybe not Serana).

"Beards" is a really cool option for... well, beards. Completely lore-friendly.

A lot of animation mods require "Fores new Idles in Skyrim" http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/?. There are instructions on the page on how to install it.

That's all I got for now

I hope you're prepared for the UNP vs CBBE debate for female body replacers! Personally UNP without huge breasts!! I recommend taking a look at Maevan2's Mature Skin Texture & Body for females - I don't currently use it but someone else recommended it in another thread & it looks exceptionally well done & absolutely ideal if you are after realism with different options for personal taste. Book of Silence is the best I have found for armor textures, ApachiiSkyHair for hair & RS Children for kids. I also use Better Males - it was all I could find for men & it looks great.

I can't wait for you to finish this, it's a great idea! :D

Haha Thanks! I was hoping it was a good Idea! Yeah, I thought UNP vs CBBE would pop up - So I guess the real question is which one is most compatible with most mods. I also though about adding one body mesh for purely visually real aesthetics - and one that looks great but mixes well with the mods mods. Some people (MxR), myself included, Want a character body that just makes an audience *WOW* all over themselves, while also being able to have an immersive gameplay. So it does look like I will need 2 separate body meshes. Hopefully we can find a skeleton that is compatible with both. ATM SeveNBase is my favorite body, but has some shading flaws that make my character look literally dirty around her arm pits, stomach, and pubic region. I haven't tested any armor mods on her to see if that might fix it so...

I'm using Apachii now but because of no hair physics, almost all long hair looks so unrealistic because it doesn't bounce or flick or w/e. I also wish that Apachii had a wider variety of hair and color to chose from. I know that it's possible - But I have to keep in mind the compatibility all mods MUST have with each other.

As far as the other mods I'll give them a look, If I like them, I'll add them to this list until another one I like better comes along. I'm really hoping to finish this within the week, so if anyone is willing to help me search, that would be great!

Also - Thanks again for your suggestions!

I'm not an expert on performance or medium/high-end specs but I'll do my best:

If you want to change how the game looks but don't want to use an ENB, try "I can't believe it's not an enb" which I haven't tried but I've heard it gives you control of the color balance. As far as I know it shouldn't have any performance cost whatsoever. (Watch "Skyrim Mod: I can't blieve it's not an enb" from the Brodual channel. A lot of the mods down below are also covered in their videos)

Water: Either" Pure Waters", "Realistic Water Two" (the one I use) or W.A.T.E.R. There should be different resolution options for all of these, I think.

To fix the skyline or ripple bug: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54185/?

For the NPC's I use "Skysights skins" but there's a mod called "Windsong character overhaul" which I would consider very lore-friendly (well, maybe not Serana).

"Beards" is a really cool option for... well, beards. Completely lore-friendly.

A lot of animation mods require "Fores new Idles in Skyrim" http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/?. There are instructions on the page on how to install it.

That's all I got for now

Thanks for the reply! I've tried a few ENB's but found it very difficult to decide because i hadn't "Realistically Beautified" Skyrim yet. I also can't decide if to use an ENB WHILE searching for mods, or to get all mods then try different ENBs - The last seams like the better choice because an ENB should magnify any already present realness right?

W.A.T.E.R. is actually a new mod isn't it? I haven't tried it yet but I will look into it.

Is the skyline and ripple bug a vanilla bug? If so idk if I have noticed it!

I realize animations are going to require FENIS - which i really hate.. lol. That's one of the only mods I've really had trouble with. I actually just got my character fixed last night with most of the add ons working (back flip, sprint, back dags, etc.) took a few days to sort it out.

I'll take a look at your other mentioned mods, and see if they add up :P

Since your pc is quite dated, I would focus on performance mods.

-Skyrim Performance Plus

-Insignificant Object Remover or Remove Underwater Grass and other stuff too

-ONE MOUNTAIN - To Rule Them All

Performance friendly beauty mods:

-NobleSkyrimMod HD (avaible in 1k and 2k)

-Grass on Steroids (makes the grass taller and denser, compatible with grass retextures) or Verdant 1.6 - 512res (if you skip taxing Enb preset, not compatible with Isignificant Object Remover)

-HD Enhanced Terrain

-aMidianBorn Landscape 1k

-Kakasi's ICE texture or ICE HD

-Tamriel Reloaded - Mountains and Rocks + ONE MOUNTAIN patch (avaible in 1k and 2k)

-Vivid Landscapes - Fort / Tundra 1k / Dungeons 2k

-RUSTIC CLUTTER COLLECTION 1k

-Superior Lore-Friendly Hair

-Better Vanilla Hairs - Mesh Replacements, Improved Vanilla Hair Variations -Alpha-

-XCE pack + Better Males + UNP/7B

-Inhabitants of Skyrim - NPC Overhaul (vanilla hair version is less taxing)

-Elaborate Textiles - NPC Clothing Retexture

-Omegared99 - Gallery of Armor + Omegared99 - Gallery of Armor - Replacer Patch WIP

-Gut Fix - Guards and Stormcloak Armor

-GD's Enhanced Visuals - A Performance GemFX Preset by GDelforge or Realistic FX by BlackRaven90

Thanks for the replies guys! I was looking up how to optimize my GPU for Skyrim and came across some interesting info - So before I implement any of these mods, I'm going to be working on a personal "Fake" ENB. Still open to any suggestions here though!

***Please Only Post REALISTIC MODS (As Vanilla or Lore Friendly as Possible, but Higher Res)!*** - ADULT CONTENT ACCEPTED!

- Grass Textures

- Sky Textures

- Water Textures

- Sun Glare

- Better looking NPCs

- Better NPC Clothing texture

- Best Player Skeleton (compatible with most female armors)

- Best Player Body Mesh (as high res and real looking as possible)

- Best Animation Pack (really love the high heals!)

- Best Player Face

- Best Player Hair - ApachiiSkyHair - sugguested by ElioraArin - Anything better?

- Best ENB

- Anything else that adds to the realness of Skyrims looks

Sky: Vivid clouds and fog

Water: Pure Waters

NPCs: Bijin Warmaidens, Bijin Wives, NPC Overhaul (UNO), Better Males, Fine Face Textures for men