frequent crashes in oblivion

pchefkent

Hi,

I'm new to this so I'll just jump right in. I have frequent crashes in playing oblivion. I had this even before I started to download and use mods. I talked with bethesda and they say that it might be my hardware config. I run an AMD FX-60 (939 socket) and an XFX 8800gtx video card. My OS is Windows XP Pro. I just updated my video card driver several hours ago and played several quests and still got a crash. I seems to occur after several hours of gamplay, but sometimes it crashes after just several minutes. I have to hard boot my PC every time. I was wondering if anyone out there has the same config as I do and if you have the same problem. I love playing Oblivion, but the crashes are beginning to get irritating as well as hard on my PC. I have been playing Oblivion for several months now. I have the collectors edition. Any and all input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Mine will crash after extended play too. Either to desktop or will drop out and reboot. I can tell it's coming because the play will get a bit laggy. When I see that, I'll F5 so I have a save point and reboot it myself. I think there is a memory leak that's causing it. It plays fine for a long while after a reboot, then does it again.

Yes, I don't think there's anyone who doesn't have to put up with crashes to desktop after several hours' play. I'm using an Athlon 64 and an x1900 in XP pro and the same thing happens.

That sucks. I is there a fix/patch/mod out there that can correct this. I ruins the immersion totally. I also noticed that after i started loading mods the crashes became less frequent and totally eliminated the crash after only a few minutes at least as far as I can tell. This even with a lot of conflicts in the mods that I use, at least according to OMOD.

Moving this to Technical Support.

And I wouldn't keep using those mods if I were you if they conflict badly. That'll just cause more problems later on. ;)

Also, I deleted your other thread. Please don't post more than one thread on the same subject as doing so is spam. Thanks.

Silverglade from the Bethesda Forum found a solution to the black screen lockup problem. Here's the link to his thread with his complete testing report : http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.ph...681543&st=0

The 1.2 patch modifies the default value of iShadowMapResolution in Oblivion.ini (C:\Documents and Settings\[uSER NAME]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini) from 1024 to 256. Check this value. If it's set to 256 set it back to 1024. I did it on my computer and I've now been able to play 24 hours without the single black screen/reboot lockup.

As to the usual CTD (the ones that "simply" send you back to the desktop, no reboot needed) yesterday I tried something. I always made new saves, never overwrote existing saves. I didn't have a single CTD in 4 hours. Maybe it was pure luck, I'll check again this night, but it's worth a try.

Archived