[IDEA EXCHANGE] Settlement Modifications, Improvements

Athanasa

Some quality-of-life ideas for settlements, rather than big overhauls:

* A "shipping container" that you can designate for caravans to haul things from one settlement to another. If I want to move a half-ton arsenal of guns and armor from Sanctuary to the Castle, I don't want to have to do that manually. (or even give me a delivery destination in major settlements like Diamond City and Goodneighbor for "selling crap" purposes)

* The ability to "scrap" items already in the workbench. I don't need all those dang tin cans, just let me turn them into metal already. I can do this already by picking them up, dropping them on the ground, and scrapping them in build-mode, already. I just want to shortcut this annoying process.

-- Potential idea expansion... require some process for scrapping. Make a powered grinding "scrapper". Maybe make it link to the scavenger station and improve the yield there.

Edited by JarinArenos

* A "shipping container" that you can designate for caravans to haul things from one settlement to another. If I want to move a half-ton arsenal of guns and armor from Sanctuary to the Castle, I don't want to have to do that manually. (or even give me a delivery destination in major settlements like Diamond City and Goodneighbor for "selling crap" purposes)

* The ability to "scrap" items already in the workbench. I don't need all those dang tin cans, just let me turn them into metal already. I can do this already by picking them up, dropping them on the ground, and scrapping them in build-mode, already. I just want to shortcut this annoying process.

-- Potential idea expansion... require some process for scrapping. Make a powered grinding "scrapper". Maybe make it link to the scavenger station and improve the yield there.

1) Yes. And also let settlers path INTO open shipping containers (Available through mods). I built a load of cozy little houses for them in shipping containers... only to find their AI couldn't path them into the containers. They just stood outside staring through the walls at their beds.

2) If you go into the Workshop ® and press "Transfer All Junk" or whatever, it'll drop all your tin cans into the workshop inventory. From there, the game will auto-consume them whenever you build something using those materials. But, it'd be awesome to be able to scrap them WITHOUT a workshop, out in the field.

2) If you go into the Workshop ® and press "Transfer All Junk" or whatever, it'll drop all your tin cans into the workshop inventory. From there, the game will auto-consume them whenever you build something using those materials. But, it'd be awesome to be able to scrap them WITHOUT a workshop, out in the field.

Oh I know about that. But I sometimes need to sort through the workshop's inventory, and having a billion random items with wood and steel padding out the list makes it difficult to find the things I actually want.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ your busy Ath. :pinch:

Settler Skills:

Okay, the game is always going to be really bad at displaying this kind of information in a logical way, and will get nightmarish for any player with over 50 settlers. Also don't forget the game takes place over a relatively short timespan, you should really see training having -that- much of an effect. At most you want something like the Fallout shelter game where each settler has SPECIAL stats that affect their efficiency.

The Mr Extremely Handy:

Sorry this is a bad idea, settlements shouldn't give players perks. Instead, how about a 'reloading station' that once manned generates a modest income of ammunition, tier one gives pistol rounds, tier two rifle and shotgun. One could also have a recharging station: tier one, the fusion cells, tier two plasma and three it can recharge fusion cores.

oooh, time to go out, will write more tomorrow.

Christ your busy Ath. :pinch:

It's Christmas, I'm meant to be job hunting, but there are no jooooobs. It makes me feel really bad that I'm getting Jobseekers over Chrismas (basically 3 weeks of free money) for job seeking I'm supposed to be doing... but there are no vacancies that I could fill. That and I can't do any work experience placements to keep myself busy or sane either! AND waiting on feedback from the last interview. I'M STUCK AND I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!

So I gave myself something to do.

The Mr Extremely Handy:

Sorry this is a bad idea, settlements shouldn't give players perks. Instead, how about a 'reloading station' that once manned generates a modest income of ammunition, tier one gives pistol rounds, tier two rifle and shotgun. One could also have a recharging station: tier one, the fusion cells, tier two plasma and three it can recharge fusion cores.

The idea wasn't that he'd give you perks, but that he could craft the associated mods for you (requiring far more resources than if you crafted them yourself). Although... looking back on what I wrote, you're right.

If we can get settlements to work in such a way that they PROVIDE MONEY (even Deathclaw hands aren't worth anything now), then you can work around that issue by searching shops for the mods you want and stripping down their weapons for mods. One of the problems currently on FO4 (that I've seen, and heard from others) is how hard it is to make money. Deathclaw hands? Yeah, I'll give you 12 caps. Gold watch? 10 caps. What's that, you want to buy some socks? That'll cost you 50 caps.

Edited by Athanasa

I love the idea to give more utilité to computer, like settler management
And i would like also every settler have a name better than farm/Scrap... more like Lucy/Jhon/Elsabeth etc... with a full name... So they are not just an NPC but a person. And a list of person in everycolony with unsasigned one...

Anyway, what i really want to see in this game is more perk option, more perk for settlement. And more perk for the game. Because the game can go very very far you can get level 600, but perk is very limited and most of perk are fighting perk...

Perk for have more settler

Perk for have better defence
Perk for each of settlment role (increase number of ... food/water/defence/number of thing you can build/stuff of npc/add new role for settler/
Perk for better radio recrutement
Perk for allow to chose new settler, like in somegame (you have a list of people who want apply to become member of your community and you decide who you accept and who you reject usually it come with stat list and you only keep the one with better stats... but here it's more for feeling... exemple f i want an amazone town... for now i just kill everyman who come in that town *evil*)
Perk for turn settler in hunter you pay them and they go hunt what you ask them to hunt, same for miner, forest etc...

All in all, i just ask the game to allow us to spend EVERY point we got even if we are level 1000... no limite, even cosmetic perk would be fine, even better... I dont want to be more powerfull, but i want more fun for sure.
Exemple more perk for remove the mini game lockpick or hacking... lot of point but when you are level 200+ you really dont want to deal with this...

Many of these things are only really worthwhile with the GECK.

Some of these things require lots of scripting.

But all can be achieved one way or another, I like the ideas.

I'm also getting the impression you really like settlements, putting a lot of work into this for just a request/suggestion thread.

Anyway.. I'm one of the types to makes a hundred different mods but never take the time to upload them. I mod just for the sake of it.

Maybe I'll take some ideas and mod s#*! for the sake of it. I like the idea of bringing settlements and factions together. Even though the idea behind settlements was for them to be only a minutemen thing, it'd be a lot less bland and monotonous to be able to do the same for your own faction of choice. Provided you've reached a worthy spot among that faction's ranks.

I'm also getting the impression you really like settlements, putting a lot of work into this for just a request/suggestion thread.

Anyway.. I'm one of the types to makes a hundred different mods but never take the time to upload them. I mod just for the sake of it.

Maybe I'll take some ideas and mod s*** for the sake of it. I like the idea of bringing settlements and factions together. Even though the idea behind settlements was for them to be only a minutemen thing, it'd be a lot less bland and monotonous to be able to do the same for your own faction of choice. Provided you've reached a worthy spot among that faction's ranks.

Oh my god, yes please! Adopt the mod-babies!

Mostly, I wrote this because the glaring holes in the Settlement system irritated me - you can spend tens of hours on it, but it never gives anything back. And people have made the same requests over and over - okay, mostly the settler names and roles one. The extra ways to get settlers to work and do actions was intended to make settlements feel more alive. And skills? To give you an interest in your individual settlers, to give you something to plan with, on a long term scale ("I'll need to move this Teacher in a few weeks, or rotate out my lowbie Farmers"). And to reward you long-term for investments into your settlements, in a way that makes you feel like you were actually INVOLVED in getting it working, rather than just returning every month to turn all the crops into glue.

As for scripting... I haven't scripted for Fallout or Skyrim before, but I am vaguely familiar with how to do things. At least, sort of. IF/THEN/ELSE and stuff. For the 'mechanics' of many of the mod ideas, it should be fairly robust codes - it's mostly applying multipliers to existing values, or creating new values. Maybe.

Great list, and a lot of great ideas.

I shared your idea for settler management, and I thought it would be great to have a wall chart. I really like the idea of using an administration desk and a terminal, but something lower-tech might be good for early game and for certain locations to fit aesthetics.

One of my bigger gripes is the inventory/buying and selling/Workshop UI differences. Having to scroll down or use the sort options should be replaced with tabs for Weapons/Ammo/Apparel/Misc/etc. Pressing TAB should ask for trade confirmation, not a cancel trade confirmation. Pressing TAB should exit the workshop, not ask me if I want to store the item I happen to be looking at when I hit TAB to exit out of the workshop mode, like when I exit the Pipboy.

I'm interested in voice acting for FO4 mods. I can record and edit, and I would love to create some quests. When G.E.C.K. releases, I'll learn how to implement and setup dialogue systems for characters.