Porting content from other games

I'd like to ask a question regarding this specifically in regards to a certain mod that will remain unnamed for various reasons.

What if said mod starts off by using ported assets but then ends up creating those assets by hand and replacing them?

At this point is said content considered a port by Nexus and thus is not allowed? Or is it fine because all ported content has been removed, even though the author has based his original work off of a port?

Sorry if this has been answered already, I read through the first few pages but 17 pages is quite the late night read.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not unusual for someone to begin a mod and use something that they can't upload as a place holder but once they get further along in the project realize they want to release it and therefore replace the original objects with acceptable versions. So long as the original ported items are never uploaded for download, then the modder should be able to release the final version with all the ported content replaced.

Pretty much right on that one - as long as none of the originally ported content is contained within the file readied for upload there is no issue - and if some content is made based on, but not including ported content - I'd recommend that the user making the new content makes enough changes to their new item that it is obviously just that, a new item.

Or - and this would be very helpful if people would do this - keep the progress work in a contained archive, because if you have the "workfloor" content to prove the flow of design and creation, then we can rule out any problematic details.

Someone takes the time and effort to recreate every single vert, point and face on a mesh, or every single mark, dot or scratch on a texture so as to create an exact replica is pretty much wasting their time - as we can't be sure it's not still a disallowed item if it matches it to that level of detail.

If you are that concerned with a specific case, we can speak in private via the message system if you feel the need to go into proper details. Skirting around the matter with non-specific talk only clouds the subject from any real progression.

"I'd recommend that the user making the new content makes enough changes to their new item that it is obviously just that, a new item."

Possible copyright infringement (for example a similar, but not exact, copy of a texture) should be borne in mind when making such changes. The concept of "derivative work" should be explored in this case, as even something that isn't a straightforward port has potential pitfalls.

• 4 weeks later...

what's about porting something on a game under creative comons or general public licence?

i don't know games of that kind, but it should exist.

If the entire game is released under one of these licenses - that is a permission.

As you said though - I don't know of any games that do use those licenses.

Plus you have to watch out for stuff the game author may have lifted from elsewhere - possibly with a permission from the original creator to use in that game only.