• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the idea but the type of show I'm going for is going to take place in a set location with the same characters and art style. Each game is big enough to satisfy like 3-4 seasons Fallout 4 and New Vegas especially and include mods and dlc the number only increases.

Are you designing these videos for the general public, or are you designing them only to be watched by a small limited niche market of followers?

For public. I would try to put it on a site for machinima type videos but aside from Gorilla Gong such a site doesn't exist. Youtube will have to be my designated field.

Well, then you answered your own question. Fallout 4 is the only option if you want to design for the general public. Only a very small niche market or people are still going to click on a New Vegas video. Probably a lot of people from this site who have been modding it for years, but not very many people in the general public.

Edited by TeamBacon

That's a very good point, but my question is- When fall rolls around will Fallout 4 still be popular enough to warrent the support for an ongoing series? That could last a few years?

I can't read the future, but based on the pattern of Oblivion < Fallout 3 < Skyrim... Then it is pretty safe to assume Fallout 4 modding is going to be bigger and last longer than Skyrim. Every Bethesda release has just gotten bigger in the modding community, and Skyrim was a monumental leap forward in modding.

So far, based on what Skyrim had before the release of the Creation Kit, Fallout 4 is hands down more popular. I don't see anything to suggest this pattern won't continue and that the Fallout 4 modding community will be thriving for at least 4 years.

If you are doing stuff that is going to involve companion characters, both 'djjohnjarvis' and 'llamaRCA' who made the most popular companions for Skyrim and New Vegas respectively, have both said they are working on Fallout 4 companions. Trainwiz is doing a big quest mod. There are a lot of established mod authors already hard at work.

MXR, who has over a million subscribers doing only videos of modded games has said that he expects to be doing at least 200 episodes of Fallout 4 Mods Weekly because he expects it to be every bit as long running as his Skyrim Mods Weekly series.

Using Fallout 4 would be like releasing your work on a popular TV station. Using New Vegas would be like having one of those Indie movies that are only shown at select Hipster theaters with only one screen be the main showcase of your work.

It isn't even monumentally a close decision for me. Stick with New Vegas if you want to make a few hardcore fans happy but be ignored by the general public. Stick with Fallout 4 if you want YouTube views.

Edited by TeamBacon