HylianSteel

It's curious to me that the Fallout4Custom.ini is only generated after leaving Vault 111 and not on launch of the game like most sources have stated.

It only has these entries as well:

[Display]
iLocation X=0
iLocation Y=0
According to the nexus wiki here we should add these lines to Fallout4Custom.ini:
[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

The thing is is that one of these lines already exists (but set to its default setting) in Fallout4.ini.

Why do we not make these changes in Fallout4.ini instead of adding them to this third (seemingly unnecessary at this point) .ini?

Is the wiki page updated as of patch 1.5 anyway?

Edited by GuerillaTech

• 2 weeks later...

Any changes made to the Fallout4Custom.ini will supersede or overwrite setting\s in the other ini files thus no reason to edit those other files.

I like the fact that there is a single file that you can modify and not have to screw around editing multiple ini files. Easy to find and see what edits you have added.

@Digitaltrucker So, from what you said, Fallout4Custom.ini overwrites everything that is in Fallout4.ini? does that include Fallout4Prefs.ini as well?

Do you have any links to documentation? it makes sense, but i would like to read it myself... not saying you are lying or anything outlandish.

Edited by GuerillaTech

Well I can confirm that the overwrite does work but only because I use the custom.in all of the time for any and all of my edits and it works. And it works for any edits I've made that would normally be made to either of the other 2 ini files. But if you need more proof or documentation then hopefully somebody will provide it to you.

That custom ini is created by the game itself (or you can create it yourself). Since it is not packaged with the game itself, when there's an update or you verify the game cache it doesn't get overwritten...dig? That of course doesn't mean that an update couldn't potentially break whatever you have settings for, but that's probably unlikely.