Star Wars 3D models free

GrumpGamey91

Found on reddit.com/r/movies this morning.

Seeing as there are some FO4 mods appearing that have light sabers and such, thought some would appreciate this.

One the VFX guys who worked on the force awakens released these for FREE

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2016/05/free-star-wars-model-pack/

Included Models: OBJ with DDS Textures!

• Tie Fighter
  • Imperial Corridor Pieces
  • Luke Lightsaber
  • Obi-Wan Lightsaber
  • Darth Vader Lightsaber
  • R2-D2
  • BB-8
  • X-Wing
  • Tatooine Water Vaporator

P.S. Hoping someone makes a functional Tatooine Water Vaporator replacement, for you know, water needs.

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/saber_Group_medium.jpg

Edited by GrumpGamey91

You have to be really skilled FULL STOP. There's lots of high poly models out there for free but they're worthless. There was a free resource out there where someone rebuilt the 10mm SMG in 3ds max. Here's the thing. They're maybe worse than hitler because they made their model with something like 30,000 vertices. For comparison, the very complex laser musket, will all its parts is maybe 5,000 vertices at most. I did all this work to "optimize" their model in 3ds max by deleting all this worthless stuff that wasn't visible but was modeled perfectly in detail so that if you were to 3d print that. I couldn't tell it apart from the real thing. It was immaculate.

I got rid of so much extraneous detail and I used 3d max's primitives optimize function and got the polys down to 12,000 without it looking terrible. It took my incredible computer with a 980 and an excess of 4.5gMhZ two full minutes to equip it in the pipboy.

Edited by seekingthesun

Does not specifically state it is ok to use in modding.

You have it completely a**- backwards. They would have to state it is NOT OK to use these assets in 'modding' to restrict that use.

It is likely that these assets are released under a standard "non-commercial" license, like so much in the 'open-source' concept. Non-paid mods on Nexus would meet this requirement. Mods on Beth.net (paid or not) would almost certainly not.

Lucas encouraged fans to go wild with non-commercial fan use of Star Wars IP. This attitude set the ground for the mega success of the latest Star Wars movie after Disney bought the IP. But Disney ain't no George Lucas when it comes to smart attitudes to IP (although it is Disney who makes such insanely massive profits on their IP- so there's kinda a contradiction in that thinking).

In truth, companies with a 'good' IP attitude are OK with under-the-radar user non-commercial uses of it, even without explicit permission. However the recent court case over a non-official kick started Star Trek movie, when the IP owners had already allowed so many non-explicit-licenesed fan-made Star Trek TV shows and movies shows the IP owners can blow hot-n-cold.

If it looks like you are making money, or impacting the IP owner from making money with THEIR version of a specific use of the IP, then action is likely to be forth-coming. The use of Star Wars assets WITHOUT their proper names in Nexus mods has a near ZERO chance of Disney issues unless such assets are used to make an effective Star Wars game within FO4's engine.