Creating textures from scratch? How hard is it? Tutorials?

So I've been wanting to learn how to create textures from scratch for a while. Not just the whole recoloring thing, which I've done enough times I suppose. In a way this also means I want to learn how to digitally paint, or whatever, since I'm kind of lacking there too. I'm not really sure what I need either (like do I need brushes aside from the default ones?). I use gimp, and I'm well familiar with the different tools included. I've also dabbled with the trial of photoshop recently and used the full program years ago in school. I tried googling for tutorials and such for a while now, but I must be using the wrong terms or something because I'm coming up short on things, possibly because I'm just too clueless on this. I'm also familiar with creating normal maps, etc, but I'm sure there's more I could learn there too.

I want to start with plants, perhaps retexturing the creep cluster first, but I'm wondering if that's too ambitious to start with. Is it hard to get started doing textures/painting from scratch? Do I need any previous art experience (I used to draw traditionally but that was years ago, and even then it wasn't great)? Does anyone here have any tips or know of any tutorials that can point me in the right direction? I definitely do have plenty of time to learn this too, in case anyone wonders.

No, generally you won't really need previous art experience, just time and wanting to do it i'd say.

As for tutorials, here: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Tutorials You'd probably want to visit the texturing tutorials and foliage pages i guess. A lot of the texturing relies on having a good normal map: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_map so that's important too.

Most use photoshop, not gimp, but the same principles apply and probably everything can be done in gimp just as well as in photoshop.