Problems with Reinstalling Oblivion

gamemaster79

Just running a registry cleaner without completely uninstalling the game will not work. A registry cleaner works by finding entries that are not associated with any program, called 'orphans' and removing them. If the game is still loaded, OR you have not rebooted after removing it, those registry entries are still associated with the game and will not be recognized as orphans. By removing the game completely, then rebooting, the association is removed and they can be flagged as orphan entries - then removed by any decent registry cleaner.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if this goes here or not, but i uninstalled oblivion completely to put it outside of the program files (windows 7) and i reinstalled it. loaded fine, installed shivering isles disk, loaded fine, put the first disk in wouldn't load said it was a blank disk. uninstalled it, went and bought a new game and it won't load at all jusr keeps saying it's a blank disk. tried dragonage loaded fine. any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

don't know if this helps, system specs are,

hp g62 notebook 64 bit system windows 7

AMD V120 processor 2.20 ghz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

3.00 gb harddrive

I can't seem to find an answer to my issue. Here is the series of events that have lead up to the present.

I was getting system updates and it asked me if I wanted to restart. I hit yes so it shut down, and blew up on me. I figured that out, SOOOOOOO glad I made a system repair disc the day I bought my computer. Anyway after restoring factory settings, I loaded all my primary, need to have on the computer programs, software, drivers, etc.; to the C: drive.

Now here is where it gets weird.

I have an external hard drive, this drive is where I install games and random other software and save many of my files. The external is fine. The emulators I had before and after the initial crash work perfectly. Everything works the way it should, except the E:\Program Files\ folder. Nothing that was in that file worked.

I have a backup of default oblivion files. I deleted everything in the E:\Program Files\Oblivion\ folder, replaced those files with the oblivion backup, and tried again. Didn't work. I uninstalled both programs and tried re-installing.

Neither game works and the error I get just tells me there was a problem starting the program and windows will try to find a solution.

I even went as far as to remove the program files file altogether and start from scratch. Nope. And it's not save games, those are gone, and I wouldn't be able to get to them anyway.

My OS is Windows 7.

OY VEH. Somebody HELP!!

Edited by RobynGraves

I have tried to uninstall Oblivion and it installed just fine, but now it won't even let me play it. Windows just pops up and tells me that it is looking for a solution, but it stays that way until I control-Alt-Del it. I am now Oblivion-less until I can get some help on how to get mah missin' 'Blivion back.

• 2 months later...

I have tried to uninstall Oblivion and it installed just fine, but now it won't even let me play it. Windows just pops up and tells me that it is looking for a solution, but it stays that way until I control-Alt-Del it. I am now Oblivion-less until I can get some help on how to get mah missin' 'Blivion back.

I hate it when that happens. I had to put oblivion in a compleetely different folder when that happened to me.

Edited by RobynGraves

• 2 months later...

Hey all, having a similar problem but wasn't able to find a fix in this thread.

I uninstalled Oblivion about a month ago to save some space. Got the urge to play last night so I reinstalled it as well as all the expansions and some mods.

It would crash on startup. It doesn't even get to the Bethesda logo, the screen just goes black and I get the "Oblivion has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

So I figured it was one of my mods. I disabled them all, and same problem. I uninstalled them all, same problem.

So then I reinstalled Oblivion clean, got rid of the My Games folder in My Documents as well as the Bethesda folder in Programs. I also uninstalled OMM as I heard this could be causing problems too. Ran a registry cleaner .. everything.

Even after a completely clean install with no mods it still crashes on startup. The weird thing is, it was working perfectly fine a month ago with mods and had no problems. I haven't changed any hardware or anything else about my computer. What the heck is going on here? :( I'm running on Windows 7 64 bit.

Hey all, having a similar problem but wasn't able to find a fix in this thread.

I uninstalled Oblivion about a month ago to save some space. Got the urge to play last night so I reinstalled it as well as all the expansions and some mods.

It would crash on startup. It doesn't even get to the Bethesda logo, the screen just goes black and I get the "Oblivion has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

So I figured it was one of my mods. I disabled them all, and same problem. I uninstalled them all, same problem.

So then I reinstalled Oblivion clean, got rid of the My Games folder in My Documents as well as the Bethesda folder in Programs. I also uninstalled OMM as I heard this could be causing problems too. Ran a registry cleaner .. everything.

Even after a completely clean install with no mods it still crashes on startup. The weird thing is, it was working perfectly fine a month ago with mods and had no problems. I haven't changed any hardware or anything else about my computer. What the heck is going on here? :( I'm running on Windows 7 64 bit.

What kind of hardware are you running on? Low-end hardware can result in this issue. Also, did you reinstall Oblivion outside of the default folder? UAC protection can cause that kind of error.

--Tomlong75210

What kind of hardware are you running on? Low-end hardware can result in this issue. Also, did you reinstall Oblivion outside of the default folder? UAC protection can cause that kind of error.

--Tomlong75210

The only hardware conflict I can think of would be my processor, I'm running on AMD Phenom II quad core. I remember reading while I was trying to solve this issue that multiple cores could cause problems. However there is still the fact that it ran perfectly on this same exact setup a month ago before I uninstalled. I never had to do any tweaking to get it to run the first time, it just did.

Other than that though, I was previously running it on max settings so I doubt its a display hardware issue. And yes, I installed it to the default location.

--Tomlong75210

The only hardware conflict I can think of would be my processor, I'm running on AMD Phenom II quad core. I remember reading while I was trying to solve this issue that multiple cores could cause problems. However there is still the fact that it ran perfectly on this same exact setup a month ago before I uninstalled. I never had to do any tweaking to get it to run the first time, it just did.

Other than that though, I was previously running it on max settings so I doubt its a display hardware issue. And yes, I installed it to the default location.

No, your hardware sounds fine. Multiple cores aren't a problem for Oblivion. The problem people have with Oblivion and multiple cores is that Oblivion doesn't take advantage of them. It's basically a single core application. :(

Reinstall the game outside of the default folder and you should be good to go.

Uninstalling Oblivion: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Uninstalling_Oblivion

Installing Oblivion: http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Installing_Oblivion

That should take care of it.

--Tomlong54210