Problems with Reinstalling Oblivion

gamemaster79

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgive me if asking too much, but i have read all that i could from those links and i still fail to see the solution for my problem, can anyone be bothered to help out?

-had a massive ammount of mods at one point, after which game was impossible to start (got frustrated because couldn't find source of loading problems)

anyway deleted the whole thing manualy (even the mods folder for OMM and NMM - an accident)

Now i can't reinstall. When i run installation, it acts as if I have the game installed ("play" button is availible) but when clicking play/uninstall it sais it can't find the oblivion exe...

So i go through the files to remove any proof of oblivion... i can't seem to find it!
I have Ccleaner (free version) and Revo uninstall (paid) and it gives me nothing...

Any idea where to look for the leftovers? How to find them ?

EDIT: fixed, manual initiating of setup.exe on the dvd solves it

Edited by Executor64

• 2 years later...

@lubronbrons - you didn't check the date on the last post. You are answering a question that is over 2 years old. :rolleyes: And, my complete Oblivion reinstall has been used successfully by nearly 10,000 people now. It covers how to transfer the existing mods, how to PROPERLY clean the old install, and is completely manager agnostic. It doesn't care what manager you use,or even if you don't use a manager at all as it was written long before either NMM or MO existed. :tongue:

woaa .... my bad, im sorry

...still adapted to nexus :pinch:

I just feel absorbed in here because I achieve oblivion free CTD recently :D since 2 months ago I think, fighting & struggle with oblivion

then.... just want to share and be a little helpfull in community

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Got a problem. I have reinstalled Oblivion GOTY on my desktop on which the game ran before with many mods and no problems other than the normal Oblivion quirks, my copy of the game is the 2K Games standalone version. In part of this reinstall I have installed and uninstalled the game numerous times, checked and cleaned the registry however the game will not start. It is installed in C:/Games/Bethedsa.

When I attempt to run the game, I get several splash screens, and after the copy right notice, it shifts to a black screen with a circular loading icon and will not start no matter how long I let the loading screen run. If I bring up the Windows Task Manager it tells me that Oblivion is running and another program called Common is also running. Calling up the Common program I get a screen that states:

The feature you are trying to use is on a

CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not

Available.

Insert the Common disk and click OK

At this point there is an option to browse to a directory other than the number 1 that is displayed, however I have no control of the mouse to even attempt to change the directory if I knew which directory to browse to.

This is a vanilla install. I have installed the base game with and without the Knights of the Nine/ Shivering Isles.

Any one, any Ideas?

My system:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

500 GB SSD,

Intel i7 CPU @3.20 GHZ

NVIDIA 660 Ti card

• 4 years later...

Date of this post = November 2020. Oblivion GOTY re install help, please.

On PC / win 10 pro / totally more that adequate hardware. I uninstalled > reinstalled several times > SUCCESSFULLY -- game ran fine, modded, etc. (Wrye BASH -- OBMM only for Darn UI). NO need for compatibility mode, yada. Ran like a dream right off the disk.

Most recent re-install FAILED. Tried reinstalling Oblivion GOTY from cd. THIS TIME > I reinstall, set graphics options in vanilla set up screen, then hit the vanilla loader - game locks in process of showing launcher dialog box in upper left hand corner of monitor - or just CTD, (no Blue screen of death, just normal desktop.) Rinse -- repeat several times. I have spent several days web searching / yada seeking effective help.

Summary of info from web sites: I manually deleted the oblivion.exe and some files/folders INSTEAD of letting Ob Un-installer do ALL of it. Nothing I've tried lets me re-install Oblivion. Apparently, there are bit's of Oblivion stuff remaining / registry / yada. Now, each time, I run Revo uninstaller (which runs game un-installer first, yada, and then cc cleaner. Still don't have all of old Oblivion off my system. Help please! :)

? How can I get ALL of prior install of Oblivion off my PC so disk will install properly?

--------------------------------------

Already do this: Install on D drive, as Administrator. UAC not matter on D drive.

Haven't needed to try this myself, but way back I used to see advice to run the uninstaller from the GotY disk (something that doesn't exist for the digital download versions).

Just did a partial test myself and you'll begin the process by running setup.exe on the GotY disk one which will eventually (DVD drives are painfully slow compared to hard drives) bring up an Install Wizard prompt asking if you want to uninstall Oblivion (I of course answered No so I can't give you any further insights).

- Edit - Note that UI mods like Darn UI are a minefield of ways to blow yourself up if not 101% successful in installing/uninstalling. Make certain you are not trying to run your fresh installs with entries from an old Oblivion.ini interfering that had remnants of your old Darn UI install. Look in your Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder and move any Oblivion.ini found there to a backup folder and then try starting the game. It will then build a new Oblivion.ini using the Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion_Default.ini as a starting template.

Haven't needed to try this myself, but way back I used to see advice to run the uninstaller from the GotY disk (something that doesn't exist for the digital download versions).

Just did a partial test myself and you'll begin the process by running setup.exe on the GotY disk one which will eventually (DVD drives are painfully slow compared to hard drives) bring up an Install Wizard prompt asking if you want to uninstall Oblivion (I of course answered No so I can't give you any further insights).

<EDIT> Thank you striker879 My bad. Just opened installer dick. No uninstaller on the disk. </edit> The very first post in the thread has a link to Beth ... net. Can't access it. Hope the link has good info!

Edited by elanaahova2

Ok, I just wanted to share this link with all of you. I had a problem with uninstalling and reinstalling Oblivion, but I emailed a family friend and he showed this to me. Follow it EXACTLY. It guides you through how to eliminate every trace of Oblivion from your computer, and then you should be able to install it again. http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.ph...p;#entry8103714

Gamemaster79

November 2020 >> cannot access link you posted. New Beth net site so crazy -- can't even find the forum, no less your specific post. Any chance you have copy of content of your post archved anywhere -- would you kindly post it here on nexus mods site? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Edited by elanaahova2