Lures and Traps

OK. So the "when poisoned" feature is the Alchemy Tree equivalent to heliotrope and adrenaline?

I see from the wiki that the Alchemy Tree has five abilities that have mutagen slots compared to the three abilities in each of the other trees. So you'd need seven good mutagens, if you also get the two in the Training Tree. Easy to get this many with 1.2, harder with 1.3.

I'm not really impressed with the way they "fixed" the mutagen issue for 1.3. When I saw that they were letting you use them as alchemical ingredients, I was envisaging special potions that you could only make with mutagens - I guess that was wrong. If they're just substitutes for the existing ingredients, you're probably still as well using a cheaper ingredient for potions, and selling the mutagen.

I got two "madness" mutagens on my last run-through. On 1.3. Couldn't believe my luck :)

I guess you made up for my last three runs where i haven`t even seen a madness mutagen . :thumbsup: The last two on hard...dunno maybe not living right or something . lol

Edited by tommy5761

From what it sounds like, I probably should go buy a lottery ticket, because I'm still playing my first playthrough of TW2 (just started Act 3) and I've managed to acquire two madness mutagens somewhere along the way and I'm playing on "easy." :tongue:

As far as traps and lures, I've never used the lures, and only the traps when required to except in one case: when I took the crystal out of the viewer and got mobbed by harpys after about the third death I decided to put down conflagration traps where the darned things were spawning before I grabbed the crystal. It worked pretty well on slowing them down a bit so I could hotfoot it before they swarmed Geralt.

Edited by FastBlackCat

I started to use traps a bit more, thanks to this thread. It's fun. I had a wonderful gargoyle fight where I just stood to one side and watched them kill each other after using a Fury :)

I finished a playthrough on a Magic build last night. I don't know if I messed up my abilities selection this time, or if it's the wimping-down of Quen in 1.3, but I found it a lot harder than it was the last time I played with this build. I don't think I could have beaten Letho.

Oh, and definitely a Thank You for introducing me to the delights of trap-using. I just went back, with my weak mage build, and tried killing the operator again. For the first time ever, I was able to kill him on Normal, by hiding behind a pillar and laying traps all round me for the gargoyles. I enjoyed that.

i can't believe killing the operator with an alchemist skill tree is the easiest path out of the three builds, it's like i became a bomberman , trap planting machine . lol YW XD

It's mainly my own incompetence. I think that killing the operator requires you to have a clear head and not lose it during the battle. I always ended up between two gargoyles while randomly bashing keys in the blind hope that something would GET ME OUT OF HERE!. The only one that ever worked was F9.

Being surrounded by traps helped me stay still and think it through.

the worst moment when i tried to take the operator down, was when i played a hybrid class combined swordsman and mage , its very cool i have 2 special abilities the swordsman finishing moves and the heliotroph i just press (X) and bam. but it wasn't the case when i tried to kill the operator must have reloaded like 20+ times. i really hate those gargoyles creeping up and backstabing me but mainly the fault was in my build forgot to upgrade the backstab damage reduction skill instead i placed them all to a single path leading to both special ability.

twas good through out of the game except the operator boss battle...damn

Yup, it's a bit of a shock the first time you hit X in that battle and nothing happens.

I've run Chapter 3 four times this morning to see the effect of various decisions. I've missed out most of the side-quests, but The Operator is so much FUN now that I've learned about bombs and traps that I played it every time. Still never managed it on the first attempt though. I usually make at least one mistake.