I recently started playing Rust and it gave me some really good ideas for a Fallout 4 mod. You might think all the best mod ideas have already been done but this really is a killer idea for a mod and I'm fairly sure nothing like it exists. The closest thing to my knowledge is the "DUST Survival Simulator" mod for New Vegas, which was one of the most enjoyable New Vegas mods in my opinion.

In summary, my idea is this: remove all quests and NPC's except raiders and mutants/ghouls, then reframe it as a zombie apocalypse type thing, and add Rust-like components, such as building damage and door locks. You'd have to protect your base against zombie hordes and groups of raiders, so the raiders would finally be living up to their title, they would come and try to raid your base like players in Rust.

The main focus of the mod would be survival and home-defense, for the true experience it'd have to be played in survival mode so hunger and thirst were important. So just like in Rust, you'd have to build a secure base to prevent enemies from breaking in and stealing your loot. You would be able to craft primitive weapons like the pipe gun, but first schematics would need to be found before they could be crafted.

Schematics would also be required to unlock better building components with higher damage resistance. The mod could also utilize the full power of the Fallout 4 building system to create elaborate raider bases ranging in their size and defenses. The mod would add a bunch of new raider bases around the map and also add many more spawn areas for ghouls and mutant creatures so that it really feels like a zombie apocalypse.

The hardest part will probably be scripting the raiding behavior but I don't see any clear reason it wouldn't be possible. Another potential idea is to assign the raiders different gang signs, so that if they raid your base while you're not there, they will spray paint their gang sign on the wall or something like that, so you can hunt them down and get back any stuff they may have stolen in the raid.

That will be fairly difficult to do though so it should be one of the last features added to the mod, if at all. Another feature that might work well is a respawn system which would replace the reload system. When you die the character would respawn at some location you choose, similar to the sleeping bag system in Rust. That way you would lose your stuff when you die unless you travel back to your previous body before it decays.

One nice thing about this mod idea is that many of the components required already exist. For example, the locking system can use the Locksmith mod as a way to lock doors and even containers. The crafting system can use the Crafting Workbenches mod as a foundation, it just needs a schematic system to block some items until the appropriate schematic is found. The schematics could be found throughout the world in containers and on enemies.

Well that about sums it up. I'm sure most of you will agree a mod like this would be pretty epic and fun to play. I don't really have time right now to work on any mods but I will try to create this mod at some point in the future if no one else does it first. I didn't put this in the mod request forum because I'm not really asking anyone to make it, I just wanted to share this idea because it'll probably be a long time before I can work on it.

Edited by JacobBruce

Here's some potential back-story that could be shown at the beginning of the game. Just writing this gave me so many good ideas, such as the ability to form alliances between other settlements and gangs. Now that I think of it, the NPC's in settlements should remain because they are a good enemy for the raiders. Also, the ability for the player to form a raiding party using their settlers would be a great idea, so you could head out with them and attempt to raid another settlement or raider base. Another decent idea would be random battles between gangs over land and resources.

In the year 2077 a deadly plague is unleashed which infects more than half the human population. No one knows where it started or who is responsible for starting it. The virus causes its host to lose all higher brain function and turns them into a flesh eating monster. World leaders react hastily by unleashing a fire storm of nuclear warheads across the globe in an attempt to exterminate the undead creatures. However there plan was doomed to fail from the start, they couldn't kill all the creatures and instead the radiation caused the creatures to mutate rapidly and become even more deadly than they already were.

The year is now 2287 and only a small fraction of the human species remains, trying to survive in a world where mutant creatures roam the abandoned ruins. Only the toughest and most ruthless survive in this world, most of the survivors have formed raider gangs which do anything necessary to survive, including killing other humans and stealing their resources. Some times even the largest gangs will go up against each other if they get desperate or greedy. After being frozen for 210 years in a cryogenic chamber, you awake in this harsh reality. Can you survive alone or will you rely on other people?

The path you take in this world is your decision, the only goal here is to survive. Strength does come with numbers but larger settlements will attract more attention from raiders. If times are tough you may also decide to raid another settlement but keep in mind who your allies are because alliances in this world are important. If you are friendly to surrounding settlements and gangs then you have a lower chance of being attacked and raided, but you can never really trust anyone in this world. The only thing that is certain is that you will have to fight for your life... because war... war never changes.

Edit: I'm just thinking might also be a good idea to add some sort of main quest which involves discovering the source of the virus or why we were frozen for 210 years. One issue with a mod like this is that it will be hard trying to make the world match the back-story (e.g. text on computers not talking about the plague). It's not really that important since I think the gameplay is what really matters for a mod like this, but it wouldn't hurt to work more on the story in the late stages of development.

Edited by JacobBruce

Just listing some of the components I envision for this mod:

# Rust-type-stuff (locks, building damage, base raiding, home defense, schematics, etc)

# All quests and human NPC's removed, except settlers and raiders (who are enemies)

# Zombie hordes/swarms which attack settlements and gang bases (maybe just at night)
# Custom raider bases with their own gang symbols to signify factions/alliances which may change
# Guns and armor can be crafted, but only primitive stuff like pipe guns and basic melee weapons
# Schematics need to be found to unlock better building components, weapons, armor, etc

# Ability to form alliances, random battles between enemy groups, maybe a bit of turf wars

Things which could be made as separate mods but go very well with this mod:

# Respawning system to replace loading saved game when player character dies
# More realistic game mechanics (e.g. generators require fuel, weapon/armor damage, etc)
# More realistic medical system (e.g. bandages to stop bleeding, brace to heal broken bones)
# Ability to control head movement like in Rust (e.g. look to the side while still moving forward)

# More scavengers and other NPC's wandering around so the world feels less empty

# Many more ghouls and mutant-type enemy spawn points spread around the world

Another potential idea I had is to make it look like the raider bases are being actively built and repaired by the raiders. For example right after a battle between two gangs, one or both bases might sustain some damage, so the raiders would have to rebuild their base. That would help to create the illusion that new construction is happening around the wasteland even though they would always rebuild the exact same base.

Edited by JacobBruce

i have a close idea, make a mod to turn the game like a "walking dead" world.

replace all the ennemies by zombies, except humans, supermutant (a military vaccin turn bad), infected dogs. (no boss or legendary)

keep the radiation system but rename it infection, and need antibiotic to be heal.

make raiders and SM use more hand to hand weapon and less guns.

make the guns rare and bullets hard to find or craft.

primary needs eat, heal, sleep.

ambiance more dark, creepy.

I'm not sure what you mean, survival mode already includes an infection and disease system which requires antibiotics to heal and it has a primary needs system. But yes I agree weapons should be hard to find and craft, and the supermutants and mutant dogs would fit with a zombie apocalypse theme. Now that I think about it, so would most of the other enemies in FO4. Radscorpions, radroaches, deathclaws, mirelurks, they all fit the backstory I have proposed because it involves creatures mutated by radiation.