Player character (and other NPC's) faces turn brown after a while.

Modz4eva

This can also happen when your pagefile is full /ram are stuggeling. Especially if everything has worked perfect up until that point. Try restarting your game.

I generally suggest that you restart your game every 2-3 hours and take a moment to clean the quick saves from your save folder, and make hard copy's of the rest.

Edited by Arneercool

• 4 months later...

Hey there! I don't know if you found a solution to this on your own yet, but I had the same issue and was able to fix it. This only works for your character, not NPC's which I haven't seen happen before. Basically there's no fix just yet that you can do to permanently PREVENT this from happening if it's NOT HD DLC related. However, you can actually use the Face Ripper (primarily used to move a face from one save game to another) to fix this issue. Simply select an earlier save for the 1st slot, and then the problem save as the second slot and it will port the face over and the problem will be solved! When you go to load the game, there will now be 2 saves that are the most recent. Select the top most and it will be the fixed save. Do this anytime the issue comes up again. You don't actually have to turn off the game to do this if it happens. Hope this helps! GL!

I think the issue occurs when textures do not load properly and this is especially prevalent after you have played for an extended time. What I do is a quick save, exit the game, and restart. Seems to solve the problem in both Skyrim and Fallout 4. If that was not sufficient then I might be tempted to hold a crystal above my monitor and say a prayer to St. Howard.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had it happen at the start of the game, no mods. Left the house in sanctuary with Nora, get to the pad at the entrance of the vault and, hello she is two toned. It must be from going from one cell to another, happens when going through a door, fast travel and loading a save. Always random. Wonder why it hasn't been investigated by the developers? It only changes the face, and Preston has never turned white, at least not in any play through of mine.

Cricket never takes on that two-tone either. This seems to happen more often with female characters, so I am wondering if CBBE, Valkyr's Face, or THBrows might increase not loading as well. One thing I have noticed is how the darker faces can come and go between cell changes. Even tabbing out to desktop and then back can sometimes revert back to normal.

• 5 months later...

The reason this happens is that the clothing mod you're using is for a different body type than your character and NPC's are using and so the skin texture wraps incorrectly because it's designed for a different shape. You can see weird warping around the belly button area too. So if you're using a CBBE body and try to use clothing/armor designed for Vanilla or some other body shape the skin will look weird.

Edit, without looking at the mod in question I can't say, but it's also possible that the mod author uploaded it with the wrong skin textures. So it may have been advertised as CBBE but the mod itself contained the wrong files.

• 4 months later...

I fixed this issue, it happened occasionally and could be fixed through the slm, however, after resizing my textures, it was cronic, meaning that it happened every time and in the editor.

My solution was this, install a mod such as "natural faces 2k", that has the correctly sized texture files...yes i tried the 1024 versions, it had the same issues, however, the "natural faces 2k - all in 1", also contains many more textures relating to the face parts, not just a typical base m/f, and so, because of that, it seems to be fixed, yay. credit to fuse00.

heres the link to the mod that fixes the thing : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33331

Hope that helps :smile:

Edited by wisetime

• 4 months later...

I fixed this issue, it happened occasionally and could be fixed through the slm, however, after resizing my textures, it was cronic, meaning that it happened every time and in the editor.

My solution was this, install a mod such as "natural faces 2k", that has the correctly sized texture files...yes i tried the 1024 versions, it had the same issues, however, the "natural faces 2k - all in 1", also contains many more textures relating to the face parts, not just a typical base m/f, and so, because of that, it seems to be fixed, yay. credit to fuse00.

heres the link to the mod that fixes the thing : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33331

Hope that helps :smile:

Sorry for the Necro, but was searching for a solution and this is the one that finally fixed it.