Skyrim SE CTD's or freezes completely

tkilleri

Hey, my game started to ctd and freeze randomly today even though I didn't install any new mods. It does it while I explore dungeons or if I go to a texture heavy place. I had 0 problems with the original Skyrim, but with the Special Edition it started to do this... I myself think it might be because of the vram gets filled too quickly but I'm not sure.

Reason in the 2nd post.

Edited by tkilleri

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found out the mod which caused this to happen: Static Mesh Improvement Mod v2.2 (SMIM for short), you have to uninstall it or find how to fix the mod if you come across the same issue as I did.

Edited by tkilleri

Hi, I've been having issues very similar to what you describe, until yesterday haven't had many (if any) crashes, but today, I must've had 6-7, one nearly always if trying to go north of the camp with the giants and mammoths near Whiterun (in this case, the game just freezes completely, with only the sound continuing), and in other places it just CTDs, usually if trying to enter a particular dungeon, or once inside it.

I'm also using SMIM, and about 12-13 other mods. The odd thing is, like you, things worked fine until today and I haven't changed anything.

How did you fix it?

Same here, CTD started occuring today only. Had the same mod running for a good 8 to 12 hours of play without any crash. First it happened once in a dungeon. Reloaded last save and it was fine. but also everytime I try to fast travel to frostmere crypt. ( which I already been to and cleared ) Thing is I can fast travel to the nearest point and walk to frostmere crypt without any crash. that's weird. Probably some other locations are affected too, just didn't saw them yet.

Edit: and now I'm completely stuck inside a dungeon.. everytime I try to get outside game CTD..

disabling, and even uninstalling SMIM completely does nothing for me..

Update: Still no luck.. I've tried literally every solution I could find online..:

coc to any locations - not working, also cause a CTD

spawned lydia on me and retry exiting - not working

waited 24hours before exiting - not working

waited in a chair before exiting - not working

Tried kill.player before exiting - not working

Tried uninstalling SMIM and RSchildren - not working

loading a previous save, going back, entering and exiting right away - stil CTD

removed enb and reshade version I was using - not working

installed the USSEP - did not fix it either

combinaisons of the aboves - not working

it's the Hob's fall cave if that matters.

-and now it happens in the Ysgramor's tomb too. can't exit.. can't complete the companion storyline.. great.

Update #2: Tried deactivating all my mod and my save wouldnt load anymore. Narrowed it down to the enhanced blood texture mod. If it's not there, my save won't load for some reason. can this be related to my problem?

Edited by Shak404

Found out the mod which caused this to happen: Static Mesh Improvement Mod v2.2 (SMIM for short), you have to uninstall it or find how to fix the mod if you come across the same issue as I did.

Thanks, you're a life saver (or... a playthrough saver :tongue:).

Had this issue on entering Folgunthur 100% of the time and after a while in a few other dungeons. Uninstalling SMIM completely fixed it.

SMIM been updated with some fixes now, but I started to CTD every 5 seconds after I first installed some mods, until I installed USSEP. Then it was happy days again, well at least for the past 6 play hours.

What exactly is USSEP? I'm running into the lock-ups while running the SMIM and would love to grab the fix that both SMB and WIM have mentioned above.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out... went back to the SMIM page and searched for the USSEP references. In case anyone needs: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/266/?

Edited by Cinderwolf