Odd FPS Issues

Artamien

I know, I know....another post about FPS problems.

I've tried finding some kind of fix, or something to solve my problem; haven't had any luck with that. I was taught recently that when I need help, just ask for it.

Now, it 'seems' that my system specs meet the recommended specs for SSE - I'm able to play SLE on ultra with oodles of mods. The default setting for SSE (for me) is "high". Oddly enough, when I play the game, it's quite obvious that I'm not pulling 60 FPS and I experience random FPS drops. Speaking of my specs. here they are (I'm not the best at giving them):

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

CPU: Intel i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM: 8 GB

VRAM: 3072 MB (whatever that is in GB)

I can set the game at "low" and it plays fine and doesn't look 'horrible', but if it tells me my system should be on higher settings....you can emphasize. I know that SSE has been butchered in a lot of ways (what Bethesda game hasn't?), so that could be the problem here. Anyone who can offer insight or a potential fix would make my day.

Thanks!

Edited by Artamien

Which R200 card? R270? Probably God-rays and tesselation issue or vsync need to be set by driver instead of in game. Google the first issue but for the second you can add ivsyncpresentinterval=0 to [display] section of skyrimprefs.ini in documents/mygames/sse folder and then set vsync in in driver instead.

It could do, theres a lot of reports it helps. 7700 falls just below recommended specs though so you might look to disabling god rays in particular, then toning down shadow distance as well. If TAA is on you might wanna switch to FXAA or none at all

If your CPU is half decent object distance shouldn't be too much of a hassle with this new DX11 renderer. Lowering shadows will help here though

Thanks for the tips. altho I already had godray to medium and aa turned off. also had the shadow quality and distance to high. I'm running at a low 20 to 27fps ( but that's actually fine with me, it's not as smooth as it should be ofc, but it's not too choppy or sluggish that it's unplayable either (at least for me it isnt) - and it's still looks quite nice:)

1089-0-1478409436.jpg

1089-0-1478371818.jpg

Edited by Shak404

@SMB92:

I wish I could say, I'm pretty sure it's the R270. Seems the only way I could find out for sure is by opening up my system. Tried using software but it always says the same ting (R9 200 series). I tried the ini tweak this morning actually and it seems to have improved my game a bit. I don't know how to switch what controls vsync, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks, man.

Update: after searching a bit, I've had no luck in setting vsync in the driver/GPU. Not something I've done before. If you could figure out how for AMD, I'd be grateful.

Update (again): just set "wait for vertical refresh" to always on in my control center. Hope that's the right thing.

Edited by Artamien

That is the right thing, also if you applied/copied that line I wrote above to the skyrimprefs. If you have the catalyst look for the tesselation setting and set to 8x if possible (i think thats the right number, if not try different values, otherwise disable God Rays and see what it gives you)

Thanks for the tips. altho I already had godray to medium and aa turned off. also had the shadow quality and distance to high. I'm running at a low 20 to 27fps ( but that's actually fine with me, it's not as smooth as it should be ofc, but it's not too choppy or sluggish that it's unplayable either (at least for me it isnt) - and it's still looks quite nice:)

1089-0-1478409436.jpg

1089-0-1478371818.jpg

you can do a lot more tho.....i see an optimised tetxure pack that cuts vram roughly in half, with almost no visual effect.

i see a remove lil clutter mod, like those small stones mod

and lastly.....in PREFS inis, i put viShadowMapResolution at 1024, that did me a lot of good, shadows are a killer at lower spec machines(high is still too much)

with just that last change i went form 30 fps to 45....

good luck, keep at it, there is lots you can do

1089-0-1478409436.jpg

1089-0-1478371818.jpg

you can do a lot more tho.....i see an optimised tetxure pack that cuts vram roughly in half, with almost no visual effect.

i see a remove lil clutter mod, like those small stones mod

and lastly.....in PREFS inis, i put viShadowMapResolution at 1024, that did me a lot of good, shadows are a killer at lower spec machines(high is still too much)

with just that last change i went form 30 fps to 45....

good luck, keep at it, there is lots you can do

Is the 'v' before iShadowMapRes' a typo? 'Did you change the iShadowMapRes in both ini, or just in documents\mygames...?