"One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on" error

LiliumSnow

I first started playing Morrowind on my laptop but got a fancy-new gaming computer 4 months ago, so I uninstalled Morrowind (writing down all the mods I owned before doing so) from my laptop, then installed it on this computer, along with all the mods I've had before. But when I open up the game, I get the "One or more plugins ..." error, telling me to read the Warning text. The Warning text file says:

"One of the files that "RealSignposts.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.

This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message
but not necessarily fix any errors.
One of the files that "Immersion-Friendly Homes Balmora House.ESP" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message
but not necessarily fix any errors.
One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.
Texture "Textures\_land_default.tga" count 3.
Texture "Textures\menu_thick_border_bottom_right_corner.dds" count 2."
It says that the message will clear after I save the game, but it still pops up every time I load the game, which gets annoying very quickly. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mods the Warning text mentioned (with Real Signposts, I previously installed it through NMM on this computer, so I tried reinstalling it manually to see if I got different results), but the error message doesn't go away. There is only 1 version to download for each mod and they haven't made any updates to the mods for years, so I am installing the right versions of those mods.
What should I do?

That error message means that the plugin was created with a different version of Morrowind to the one you're using.

On plugin creation the size in bytes of the plugin's masters (EMSs) is stored in the plugin header. That's then compared to the size of those masters for the person running the plugin and that error message displayed if there's a difference.

A different version can also mean a version of Morrowind for a different language to the one you're using, most often for English plugins it's the fact a plugin was created before the Tribunal or Bloodmoon patches.

You can use Wrye Mash to update the size of the masters stored in the plugin header. The mods have a yellow checkbox (that's what that colour means), select them and then look for the Save button in the bottom right. Click that and the mod file will be updated and the error removed.

That error message means that the plugin was created with a different version of Morrowind to the one you're using.

On plugin creation the size in bytes of the plugin's masters (EMSs) is stored in the plugin header. That's then compared to the size of those masters for the person running the plugin and that error message displayed if there's a difference.

A different version can also mean a version of Morrowind for a different language to the one you're using, most often for English plugins it's the fact a plugin was created before the Tribunal or Bloodmoon patches.

You can use Wrye Mash to update the size of the masters stored in the plugin header. The mods have a yellow checkbox (that's what that colour means), select them and then look for the Save button in the bottom right. Click that and the mod file will be updated and the error removed.

That's fixed the issue. Thanks a ton! c:

• 4 years later...

That's correct and I did that the other day when I was testing a mod, but despite doing that I still got a loading error.

So, re-saving an esp or esm in CS does the same thing, which I had to do when testing a mod. Although, cleaning the mod might be necessary.

Edited by leonardo2