[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

The .44 magnum, do you think you'll consider adjusting its proportions and some other things to better resemble the Model 29?

What do you have in mind for the hunting rifle?

I have at least one new weapon mod planned for the .44 Magnum, so I may tweak it while I'm at it. I'll see once I get to it.

With the Hunting Rifle I'll be flipping the bolt to the correct side at the very least (Hitman's kindly providing animations for that), and maybe making some other changes like fixing the bayonet (with its oddly missing handle). One day I might completely replace it with a better model, though.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One day I might completely replace it with a better model, though.

MTindle's?

I don't know; no solid plans at this stage.

I hope you at least replace the lever-action. I hate the current model. Also this mod is gonna have all new sound-effects right?

The Lever Rifle will be flipped at least; I don't know about anything else yet.

As for sounds, at the moment I've got the replacer weapons using vanilla firing sounds (so people can use whatever replacement sounds they like - I'm doing that myself in fact), and edited vanilla sounds for reloading and equips. (Had to change the timing on them.) The M203 grenade launcher has custom sounds though - as will anything else that needs it.

Late to the game to post here but I've been following this topic and all the work everyone is doing here with great interest...

One thing I've seen throughout the screens of the AR15 progress is bugging me to the point I have to ask...do you guys plan on doing a SBR version with the standard front sight post and the KAC type rail? Something along the lines of the CQBR or Mk18 Mod 0 style of weapons. Or going even further perhaps a Mk18 RIS II rail with the hidden gas block under the rail like the Mk18 Mod 1? I only ask because I work in the firearms industry and I've never been a huge fan of those railed gas blocks that you have in most of the screens. This is completely a personal feeling and opinion but I just think they are somewhat tacky and unreliable. I could go into a couple hour rant about the real-world reasons why but I'll spare you all haha.

Also I'd just like to point out that the images shown of the AR15 with the suppressor...that specific model of suppressor is actually made for pistols. It's a KAC Mk23 pistol suppressor originally contracted for the US Navy SEALS for their combat handguns of the same designation (Mk23). Again this just might be me nitpicking but as I said, working in this industry, little things like that bug me...its like watching a big box office movie or TV show and seeing a weapon with its optic on backwards. (Happens more than it should)

Not trying to come off as an ass with this post, just trying to help you guys make the best (And realistic) mod you can! The animations and textures so far are top and I can't wait to see what you have coming down the pipeline!

Cheers to all and keep up the great work!

Hey, so I've been following this mod since I first heard about it, and I gotta say it sounds great, and exactly what the combat in FO4 needs! I do have a few questions though, like about the ammunition in game. How would the ammunition in game be changed? Ever since I got Fallout 4, the fact that the Pipe weapons took .38 has bugged me. In one mod it was renamed to .38 Special, whereas in another in became .380 ACP. It, along with 10mm (presumably 10x25mm), are also common chamberings for weapons that IRL take 9x19mm and don't introduce a new 9mm cartridge.

Given that the in game ammunition box for .38 has a revolver, the former seems more probable. However, .38 Special is seldom used in automatic firearms, which the standard Pipe weapon is. Speaking of the Pipe weapons, I would personally change them. For example, a Sten, or perhaps a fictional Sten/MP18/Sterling hybrid could be used? While I can accept it as a gameplay thing, it seems odd that so many zip guns follow the exact same design without being a factory model. Real life Stens are (were?) notoriously easy to manufacture. Perhaps the Bolt-Action Pipe weapon could be replaced with something more akin to the Fallout 2 Pipe Rifle? Finally, the Pipe Revolver seems like it could become that Colt Police Positive you mentioned.

Finally, do you think this mod will be available for Xbox One when finished? I understand it will be a long way off, but I really hope it can get ported to console at some point. I'll probably ask more things at some point but I realize this is getting a bit long so i'll wrap the comment by saying this mod looks impressive, thank you for making it!

I've waited for this Glock you made since the release of F4, thank you very much Antistar, just please, don't pussy out on the firerate, make it 1200 like the real Glock 18, every auto Glock in FNV that I can remember was gimped to 600 RPM or so. Regardless, pussied down or not, waiting for release with bathed breath. And I'm hoping this will be THE mod, that makes combat enjoyable again, cause, like you, I'm withholding on all the DLC (and a lot of vanilla content I guess).

Speaking of which, is there any ETA? I don't wanna suffocate.

P.S. Hoping to see full auto Saiga in the future ;)

Edited by ElWrobel

A few more things I thought of! How would all the weapons be balanced? Like, what would make the L85 a better choice over a Ruger Mini-14 or the AR-15? Additionally, would the mod require DLC? For example, one downloads the base mod and then downloads a Nuka-World plugin, and that's what changes the Handmade Rifle into a proper AKM?

Late to the game to post here but I've been following this topic and all the work everyone is doing here with great interest...

One thing I've seen throughout the screens of the AR15 progress is bugging me to the point I have to ask...do you guys plan on doing a SBR version with the standard front sight post and the KAC type rail? Something along the lines of the CQBR or Mk18 Mod 0 style of weapons. Or going even further perhaps a Mk18 RIS II rail with the hidden gas block under the rail like the Mk18 Mod 1? I only ask because I work in the firearms industry and I've never been a huge fan of those railed gas blocks that you have in most of the screens. This is completely a personal feeling and opinion but I just think they are somewhat tacky and unreliable. I could go into a couple hour rant about the real-world reasons why but I'll spare you all haha.

Also I'd just like to point out that the images shown of the AR15 with the suppressor...that specific model of suppressor is actually made for pistols. It's a KAC Mk23 pistol suppressor originally contracted for the US Navy SEALS for their combat handguns of the same designation (Mk23). Again this just might be me nitpicking but as I said, working in this industry, little things like that bug me...its like watching a big box office movie or TV show and seeing a weapon with its optic on backwards. (Happens more than it should)

Not trying to come off as an ass with this post, just trying to help you guys make the best (And realistic) mod you can! The animations and textures so far are top and I can't wait to see what you have coming down the pipeline!

Cheers to all and keep up the great work!

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a computer nerd living in Australia, so my knowledge of guns comes purely from research. If I say something stupid here re: guns, that's why. ;)

Is this the sort of Mk18-ish thing you were thinking of? Because I was trying to at least approximate that, as you can see there. And with the railed gas block, I guess you're talking about the flip-up front sight seen here? It was the most suitable set of flip-up sights I could find, and I am sort of limited* by what modder's resources are available.

*I can model and texture things from scratch myself, but I'm not super-great at it, so it takes a while. I've got a lot of work to do on WARS, so I need to pick and choose my battles.

I was wondering if someone would point that out about the suppressor. :laugh: I know it's based on a particular .45 ACP suppressor - and so does the original author of the asset - it's just another case of using the resources I have available. It's a good quality mesh/texture and I liked the look of it. That said, I did wince a bit in implementing it while knowing it's a pistol suppressor. Also, being essentially cylinders, suppressors are pretty quick to model/texture, so if you don't mind taking the time to point out a few more suitable suppressor models for an AR-15, I may be able to find the time to whip up a new model/texture for it. I'm especially interested in models that have been around for a while, rather than ultra-modern high-speed low-drag stuff.

Thanks for your input. :)

Hey, so I've been following this mod since I first heard about it, and I gotta say it sounds great, and exactly what the combat in FO4 needs! I do have a few questions though, like about the ammunition in game. How would the ammunition in game be changed? Ever since I got Fallout 4, the fact that the Pipe weapons took .38 has bugged me. In one mod it was renamed to .38 Special, whereas in another in became .380 ACP. It, along with 10mm (presumably 10x25mm), are also common chamberings for weapons that IRL take 9x19mm and don't introduce a new 9mm cartridge.

Given that the in game ammunition box for .38 has a revolver, the former seems more probable. However, .38 Special is seldom used in automatic firearms, which the standard Pipe weapon is. Speaking of the Pipe weapons, I would personally change them. For example, a Sten, or perhaps a fictional Sten/MP18/Sterling hybrid could be used? While I can accept it as a gameplay thing, it seems odd that so many zip guns follow the exact same design without being a factory model. Real life Stens are (were?) notoriously easy to manufacture. Perhaps the Bolt-Action Pipe weapon could be replaced with something more akin to the Fallout 2 Pipe Rifle? Finally, the Pipe Revolver seems like it could become that Colt Police Positive you mentioned.

Finally, do you think this mod will be available for Xbox One when finished? I understand it will be a long way off, but I really hope it can get ported to console at some point. I'll probably ask more things at some point but I realize this is getting a bit long so i'll wrap the comment by saying this mod looks impressive, thank you for making it!

As it happens I am planning on changing the semi/auto pipe weapons from .38 to 9x19mm, while also defining .38 as .38 Spc and limiting it to revolvers. The 9x19mm may be from "Craft Master", if I end up doing that. (See the second post in the thread for more info.) In any case I'll likely also have the Glock in 9x19mm by default/low-levels, with re-chamber options available for 10mm Auto (the vanilla 10mm) and .45 ACP.

It sounds like you're describing the Defence Gun mod there. ;) I don't mind the idea of having something like a Sten gun alongside simpler (a.k.a. less crazy) pipe weapons, but that's something of a low priority.

WARS will probably be available on XB1, yes.

I've waited for this Glock you made since the release of F4, thank you very much Antistar, just please, don't pussy out on the firerate, make it 1200 like the real Glock 18, every auto Glock in FNV that I can remember was gimped to 600 RPM or so. Regardless, pussied down or not, waiting for release with bathed breath. And I'm hoping this will be THE mod, that makes combat enjoyable again, cause, like you, I'm withholding on all the DLC (and a lot of vanilla content I guess).

Speaking of which, is there any ETA? I don't wanna suffocate.

P.S. Hoping to see full auto Saiga in the future :wink:

I do want to have real-world fire-rates if possible. FO4 doesn't seem to use any useful units of measurement for fire-rate (among other things) though, so I'm not sure how I'll work that out yet.

No ETA yet - and I don't know about a Saiga, but there will be a full-auto USAS-12 at least. :)

A few more things I thought of! How would all the weapons be balanced? Like, what would make the L85 a better choice over a Ruger Mini-14 or the AR-15? Additionally, would the mod require DLC? For example, one downloads the base mod and then downloads a Nuka-World plugin, and that's what changes the Handmade Rifle into a proper AKM?

I haven't got to balancing in earnest yet, but the Mini-14 will probably be less accurate and less versatile (and maybe heavier? It depends on real-world values) than the AR-15. Not sure about the L85 vs. the AR-15 yet.

I'm not necessarily going for an "every weapon has its strengths and weaknesses" approach. Sometimes one thing is just generally better than another thing - and that can be part of progression in a game like this; finding better equipment.

At this stage WARS requires all the DLC that include weapons, plus Contraptions for the sake of its factories (for ammo crafting).