[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a computer nerd living in Australia, so my knowledge of guns comes purely from research. If I say something stupid here re: guns, that's why. :wink:

Is this the sort of Mk18-ish thing you were thinking of? Because I was trying to at least approximate that, as you can see there. And with the railed gas block, I guess you're talking about the flip-up front sight seen here? It was the most suitable set of flip-up sights I could find, and I am sort of limited* by what modder's resources are available.

*I can model and texture things from scratch myself, but I'm not super-great at it, so it takes a while. I've got a lot of work to do on WARS, so I need to pick and choose my battles.

I was wondering if someone would point that out about the suppressor. :laugh: I know it's based on a particular .45 ACP suppressor - and so does the original author of the asset - it's just another case of using the resources I have available. It's a good quality mesh/texture and I liked the look of it. That said, I did wince a bit in implementing it while knowing it's a pistol suppressor. Also, being essentially cylinders, suppressors are pretty quick to model/texture, so if you don't mind taking the time to point out a few more suitable suppressor models for an AR-15, I may be able to find the time to whip up a new model/texture for it. I'm especially interested in models that have been around for a while, rather than ultra-modern high-speed low-drag stuff.

Thanks for your input. :smile:

Haha I completely understand your first sentence....A buddy of mine on GUNetwork is an Aussie, me and him have touched on that very subject a few times.

The first pic, yes that is indeed essentially a Mk18 Mod 0. I must have missed that image when I was going through them before! I'm so glad you pointed it out!

Excuse me while I nerd out on firearms...its kinda my thing and the Mk18 especially.

The true to life issued weapon only varies from that image by having a LMT SOPMOD stock and an actual optic as opposed to the carry handle. Traditionally it is a M16 lower receiver with a 10.3" barreled CQBR upper receiver with the KAC RIS rail and standard A2 style gas block. The Mk18 is pretty much the workhorse of SOCOM and its associated units. The Mk18 Mod 1 varies from the Mod 0 by switching to a Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II handguard, which covers the entire length of the barrel and utilizes a low-profile gas block. I've always thought the Mk18 would make an outstanding weapon for FO4 if someone had the patience and time to do it, because if you take into consideration the two different variants (Mod0 and Mod1) and the fact that it is under the SOPMOD program, meaning that the weapon has a ridiculous amount of attachments available depending on what the user needs...its literally like Legos for grown men.

If you're a visual person like me...here's a quick google photo I found of the Mod 0 and Mod 1 in the same shot for comparison...I can take a better photo tomorrow at work.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/Gun%20Shit/291D48CF-6A19-4575-A048-D81E4204669C_zps8lfkcu8c.jpg

As far as suppressors go for Ar-15 style weapons, if you're looking for a time tested and well established model...the KAC QDSS-NT4 has been a government issued suppressor for more than a decade. I used them when I was still in the Marines, and I still have them around at work...there are definitely better and as you said ultra-modern high speed cans on the market but its hard to beat a classic like the NT4. A simple google search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of images, maybe even a few free 3D models on Gamebanana (hint, hint)

Another great choice if you plan to include a longer barreled AR15 for your mod, something along the lines of a Mk12...a good suppressor choice would be a Ops Inc 12th model...why? Because it is literally just a long cylinder. Ops Inc didn't go crazy on their external look and rather focused on functionality. It is what's called a Reflex style suppressor, meaning it actually slides over a portion of the barrel to help reduce overall length. They are another company that has provided government contracts since late the 1990s and a great suppressor even by today's standards. (Ops Inc has since changed names to Allen Engineering)

Hope some of this helps out! If you have any questions regarding firearms or any way I can help out in that regard with reference photos or just overall knowledge, feel free to ask! I'd be more than happy to talk your ear off...if you couldn't guess, its one of my passions, and I love my job haha.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ever think of replacing the pipe-weapons with something?

Thought about it? Yes; to the point where I was talking about it in the post right before yours, in fact. :wink:

The first pic, yes that is indeed essentially a Mk18 Mod 0. I must have missed that image when I was going through them before! I'm so glad you pointed it out!

Excuse me while I nerd out on firearms...its kinda my thing and the Mk18 especially.

The true to life issued weapon only varies from that image by having a LMT SOPMOD stock and an actual optic as opposed to the carry handle. Traditionally it is a M16 lower receiver with a 10.3" barreled CQBR upper receiver with the KAC RIS rail and standard A2 style gas block. The Mk18 is pretty much the workhorse of SOCOM and its associated units. The Mk18 Mod 1 varies from the Mod 0 by switching to a Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II handguard, which covers the entire length of the barrel and utilizes a low-profile gas block. I've always thought the Mk18 would make an outstanding weapon for FO4 if someone had the patience and time to do it, because if you take into consideration the two different variants (Mod0 and Mod1) and the fact that it is under the SOPMOD program, meaning that the weapon has a ridiculous amount of attachments available depending on what the user needs...its literally like Legos for grown men.

If you're a visual person like me...here's a quick google photo I found of the Mod 0 and Mod 1 in the same shot for comparison...I can take a better photo tomorrow at work.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/Gun%20Shit/291D48CF-6A19-4575-A048-D81E4204669C_zps8lfkcu8c.jpg

As far as suppressors go for Ar-15 style weapons, if you're looking for a time tested and well established model...the KAC QDSS-NT4 has been a government issued suppressor for more than a decade. I used them when I was still in the Marines, and I still have them around at work...there are definitely better and as you said ultra-modern high speed cans on the market but its hard to beat a classic like the NT4. A simple google search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of images, maybe even a few free 3D models on Gamebanana (hint, hint)

Another great choice if you plan to include a longer barreled AR15 for your mod, something along the lines of a Mk12...a good suppressor choice would be a Ops Inc 12th model...why? Because it is literally just a long cylinder. Ops Inc didn't go crazy on their external look and rather focused on functionality. It is what's called a Reflex style suppressor, meaning it actually slides over a portion of the barrel to help reduce overall length. They are another company that has provided government contracts since late the 1990s and a great suppressor even by today's standards. (Ops Inc has since changed names to Allen Engineering)

Hope some of this helps out! If you have any questions regarding firearms or any way I can help out in that regard with reference photos or just overall knowledge, feel free to ask! I'd be more than happy to talk your ear off...if you couldn't guess, its one of my passions, and I love my job haha.

The various parts making up the Mk18-ish combination have been seen in other screenshots, but I took that shot today just to show the combination more clearly, so it's not that you missed it earlier.

A high-quality, accurate and modular Mk18 would be pretty cool to have in FO4, but you hit the nail on the head with the "time and patience" part. I wanted a highly modular general AR-15 platform in the game - and I think it's turning out pretty well - but I've already spent months on it and there's tons of other work I need to do on WARS, so I probably won't have time for something like that myself, unfortunately.

Thanks for the info on suppressors there. I didn't really find anything suitable along those lines on gamebanana, but like I said I might do it myself if I get time.

Thanks for the info generally too - and the offer of technical info and reference images - that's very kind of you. I'll let you know if I get stuck on something, and feel free to let me know if you spot me doing something stupid re: guns. ;) (Sometimes though it'll be because I have to make compromises to get things working together in-game.)

I notice Mk18 has a weight of almost 20 pounds, do you think you'll be lowering that? It's just so silly that a rifle can weigh about 20 pounds in vanilla Fallout 4. If you don't change it because of balance, it's understandable.

One thing I noticed in the weapons you wish to add is a lack of .22 Long Rifle caliber guns. Personally, I wouldn't mind the inclusion of a few, as they're quite common in real life. Gameplay-wise, maybe they have lower power than most bullets but the low recoil allows them to stay accurate with minimal aim adjustment? That and the rounds would be cheap, common, and (in Survival) have a low weight.

I'm also not sure what the in-game 5mm round is, but personally I think a 4.85x49mm round would sort of make sense. That, or 5.45x39 or even the 5.7x28mm pistol round could make sense. The ingame 5mm bullet is armor piercing, which the 5.7mm round is designed to be. Perhaps the minigun would have the never-ending effect applied by default, or at least a huge pool off ammunition when using 5mm, as the rounds are smaller than .308 or .50 Browning Machine Gun and so the gun's magazine could hold more. I hope none of these comments are coming off as telling you what to do, I just had some thoughts about weapons in Fallout and thought they might be useful, or at least interesting.

I do want to have real-world fire-rates if possible. FO4 doesn't seem to use any useful units of measurement for fire-rate (among other things) though, so I'm not sure how I'll work that out yet.

No ETA yet - and I don't know about a Saiga, but there will be a full-auto USAS-12 at least. :smile:

I'm no modder, but I often edit gun properties (Like the gimped glocks I've mentioned earlier).

To me it seems like it's number of shots per 10 seconds, I've previously edited one of the Glock mods from Nexus (I think it was Glock P80), I've set the firerate to 200 and it seemed to be right, at least when it came to how fast the mag was drained. One issue is sounds are too slow (maybe the loop is too long?) and it goes out of sync.

I notice Mk18 has a weight of almost 20 pounds, do you think you'll be lowering that? It's just so silly that a rifle can weigh about 20 pounds in vanilla Fallout 4. If you don't change it because of balance, it's understandable.

One thing I noticed in the weapons you wish to add is a lack of .22 Long Rifle caliber guns. Personally, I wouldn't mind the inclusion of a few, as they're quite common in real life. Gameplay-wise, maybe they have lower power than most bullets but the low recoil allows them to stay accurate with minimal aim adjustment? That and the rounds would be cheap, common, and (in Survival) have a low weight.

I'm also not sure what the in-game 5mm round is, but personally I think a 4.85x49mm round would sort of make sense. That, or 5.45x39 or even the 5.7x28mm pistol round could make sense. The ingame 5mm bullet is armor piercing, which the 5.7mm round is designed to be. Perhaps the minigun would have the never-ending effect applied by default, or at least a huge pool off ammunition when using 5mm, as the rounds are smaller than .308 or .50 Browning Machine Gun and so the gun's magazine could hold more. I hope none of these comments are coming off as telling you what to do, I just had some thoughts about weapons in Fallout and thought they might be useful, or at least interesting.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that the inspect window shows the stats there. That's all going to change; especially the weight. Weapons in WARS will be as close in weight to the real-world as I can manage. Really the whole mod should be balanced with (a probably tweaked) Survival mode in mind. As a side note I'll have player and NPC damage be equal. I don't like the "bullet-sponginess slider" approach to difficulty levels; I think it's pretty lazy design.

.22 LR weapons might be good. If that happens it wouldn't be until quite a bit later on, though.

Like I said in the OP, I'm tentatively considering changing the fictional 5mm round to a low-power "bulk" .308 round, since the Minigun is the only weapon that uses it. Real-world miniguns generally use .308/7.62x51mm as I understand it, and the large size of the FO4 Minigun certainly makes it seem like it would use that round. And I mean, honestly; even the art for the 5mm ammo box has 7.62x51mm written on it.

The ammo-switching from the Loads of Ammo support means that other weapons like the Hunting Rifle could also use this "bulk" .308 round... and the Minigun could use more powerful .308 variants too.

Altogether it would make the Minigun much more powerful, but it would still be very heavy, chew through heavy ammo, have tremendous recoil, etc.

Okay, as far as a release date. Can we at least get a vague estimate? Days, weeks, months, years?

Not years. Beyond that, it's too difficult to predict, and that's why I don't do it.

(I wonder if I should start a count of how many times people have asked me for an ETA, and put it in the OP.)

I'm no modder, but I often edit gun properties (Like the gimped glocks I've mentioned earlier).

To me it seems like it's number of shots per 10 seconds, I've previously edited one of the Glock mods from Nexus (I think it was Glock P80), I've set the firerate to 200 and it seemed to be right, at least when it came to how fast the mag was drained. One issue is sounds are too slow (maybe the loop is too long?) and it goes out of sync.

Thanks for the info. And yeah, I've noticed that automatic weapons seem to usually have multiple audio files to account for different rates of fire. I'm not sure of the reasoning for that, or if there's anything special I need to do to make audio files for certain fire rates - maybe regarding echoes or something. If anyone knows about this sort of thing, please - let me know. :)