Heavy Traffic ×

Codsworth Name addon

Bluwolf5656

Anyone know why no modder has made a codsworth name list add on? codsworth should have enough dialoge to make a phenetic library to make names. Some sort of external name to voice genorator so you can build the name and used spelling so it would have a chart of phenetic parts and you look up which you need and what order. Then you have a second input for spelling you will see in subtitles and other places. I am not a modder and I don't know how hard that would be... but Codsworth saying Sir, has been killing me...

@bluwolf5656

that is an interesting question ; and I hope you'll look into it further, or that other modders will emerge in time.

there are a couple Codsworth voice mods - "fly codsworth" (african american dub replacer), "beep-y codsworth", and different effects,

though not many if any mods of the scope you're envisaging.

it is funny when Codsworth cannot pronounce a name, particularly 'l337' spelling names or ones with a lot of consonants or special characters.

bear in mind though, FO4 is doing all that at the same time and pretty well; its an ambitious game itself - it's a huge open-world persistent sandbox.

while others may be ostensibly blunt, sardonic, mocking, and direct in their approach, they're not sugar coating stuff or providing false hope either.

there's ways of saying things, and ways of saying things... ah well.

still, there's nothing wrong with asking questions, riffing on an exegesis, or having a chat.

after all - this is the mod request forum, and if you can't ask a question or brainstorm there, where can you eh?

who knows what can come of it, and there is certainly IMO no problem in talking bluwolf5656.

something like the mod you envisage, bluwolf5656

would be ambitious in scope, moreso given the volunteer nature of collaborations on nexus.

its not impossible though.

The updates to the base game have increased what Codsworth can say,

though much more than that,

and you're looking at text-to-speech AGI or AIXML or something like that...

it might be hard to implement in game, though a few different modders are looking into that stuff.

you might find places like the cogwerks forum, opencog, code-stack-exchange, and Existor boards useful in your framework.

needless to say Kurzweil or Elbot might be interesting to you too.

making those things work in GECK and FO4... that'd be a little tricky too hehe.

-----

It might be possible to, in XML, have a textstring-to-sound routine.

get.|playername|,

'phonetic parsing to get pronunciation' we read the player name and break it into syllables.

- eg playername = play + er + name etc (aside, try getting some routines to read and pronounce 'potato')

'lookup the folder containing the audio-snippets': pl-ay-eh-rr-n'-ay-mh.

'check all parts are there/for profanity etc'

'play the compiled audio'.

blending those snippets together would be the tricky part.

then, when you get a prototype textstring-to-sound routine sorta working,

that's when your hypothetical gets more interesting.

you'd get a sound-alike, so your robot sounds robot-y for the samples. and, maybe do different cadences/tones...

though, if you did that for a few characters, you might be running into some hardware physical limits...

luckily, there's cloudapps and stuff though, or maybe it's pre-rendered

(ie, they batch it for a zipf combinatorial array of likely string matches...)

----

Good luck, bluwolf5656.

I hope some of this was of- use to you anyhow,

and that you'll continue to look into it, as it is an interesting idea.

In fallout 4, I believe that Codsworth has enough dialog to build a Phenetic Alphabet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

So you would take the player name, then convert it to the IPAlphabet and then call from the archive someone builds to make the new name file.

Example converter http://lingorado.com/ipa/

Also in this day and age, it wouldn't be too difficult to get ahold of Stephen Russell and have him make a library like:

http://www.antimoon.com/how/pronunc-soundsipa.htm

Lastly, Thank you @montky for a real answer

Edit: I am Thinking about an external program that would build the new name file that Codsworth name thing would pick up.

Edited by Bluwolf5656