esp modified content not loading in game

Hoamaii

That container is set to no respawn from the initial creation of the plugin, so logically only the container instance would respawn when the cell resets, its content should not. But when the whole cell resets, that container's content should be updated according to the updated plugin.

I only removed a couple of items from the container, then got the whole cell to reset, molerats and all, after 20 or 30 days - but the container's content remained unchanged minus the 2 items I had looted. Now I'm thinking it may have to do with the LocRefType of that cell (though, again in Skyrim, I never saw a no-respawn container be affected by the LocRefType of the cell it was placed in). Either that or the game simply never updates my plugin for some reason I can't figure out...

I think this is where things differ from skyrim, In FO4 everything is set to respawn by default and if you don't want it to respawn you need to set the "No Respawn" Flag in the form.

I could be wrong but you need to let the container reset with the cell for it to add the new items.

Are you trying to have the container as "Safe Storage" For the player?

Is that why you set the "No Respawn" Flag in the form?

Oh, you mean if I want that container's added content to be updated when the cell resets, I'd need to remove the "no-respawn" flag from the base form?

Yeah, that'd mean it works very differently from Skyrim!.. In Skyrim, everything was set to respawn by default too but you could add new items inside a no-respawn container in the CK and have it appear immediately in game.

I'm not using it exactly as safe storage here, but pretty close to that. Basically, I'm using that container as a test object, a way to add custom items for testing in game without having to use the console command "player.additem". I just ran accidentally into this issue of not seeing the content be updated when I modified the .esp - and now, I'm trying to understand where and how things differ so much from Skyrim's CK.

Thanks for sticking with me on this, Chucksteel, I really appreciate it! :).

If you can bear with me a bit longer, I'd rather make sure I understand this correctly. Let's say in version 1 of my plugin, I place items A and B in a container - then later on, in version 2, I add a new item C.

If I initiallty flag that container as "Respawn", that'd mean that if the player has removed items A and B from that container before updating to version 2, then all 3 items (A, B and C) would respawn, including those which have already been retrieved? Meaning, if I don't want that to happen, I would need to add a script to that container to keep track of its content and prevent respawning of the already retrieved items A and B when updating?

On the other hand, if I initially flag that container as "no-respawn" (which I have done so far), then the content never respawns, thus being never updated?

That sounds pretty complicated, or are there other flags to use on F04 containers than just "Respawn" or "No-Respawn"?

Thanks again, Chucksteel, and sorry again if my Frenchy's English may sound a bit confusing at times ;)

If you can bear with me a bit longer, I'd rather make sure I understand this correctly. Let's say in version 1 of my plugin, I place items A and B in a container - then later on, in version 2, I add a new item C.

If I initiallty flag that container as "Respawn", that'd mean that if the player has removed items A and B from that container before updating to version 2, then all 3 items (A, B and C) would respawn, including those which have already been retrieved? Meaning, if I don't want that to happen, I would need to add a script to that container to keep track of its content and prevent respawning of the already retrieved items A and B when updating?

On the other hand, if I initially flag that container as "no-respawn" (which I have done so far), then the content never respawns, thus being never updated?

That sounds pretty complicated, or are there other flags to use on F04 containers than just "Respawn" or "No-Respawn"?

Thanks again, Chucksteel, and sorry again if my Frenchy's English may sound a bit confusing at times :wink:

That sounds about right but from my understand, I could be wrong.

I have done the same type of thing with a test container in the Sanctuary Root Cellar but, I didn't set the "No Respawn" Flag. I never had any issues getting my new stuff but, I also didn't play and go back. I used a save just outside of the interior so it was always updated.

As for other flags I'm not really sure but, you may be able to change the "Encounter Zone" on the container to have it respawn at a different rate then the cell it's in. (I haven't tried this myself)

Most of the containers in my mod are intended to respawn with the cell or not respawn at all and I haven't ran into this exact issue. (Maybe because I've always tested with saves from just before I added the new items.)

Don't worry about your French My English isn't always that good and I'm a Native English Speaker. :laugh:

Hey, thanks for replying again! :)

Alright, I'll try and change my container's flag in the update - though I suspect the initial "no-respawn" flag is probably stored in my saves now so that may not work. Valuable info nonetheless for me as my intent was to create some similar mod to one of my Skyrim ones, so I better start thinking differently right now ;)

I'll do more tests tomorrow and let you know (including fiddling with the Encounter Zone - though that's not something I would upload since I'm using a Vanilla cell for tests atm).

In the meantime, I wish you a very nice evening and a happy new year!..

Try it on a clean save and see if the new content is there. I have been working on a home and I always load the same save even though it is not the last in list when looking at new stuff. I also run separate toon just for testing mods so my main toon stays "in game".

Yeah, I agree it may have something to do with my editing the mod after playing with it a bit, but then when users update a mod, they usually have been playing a bit with it to... :wink:. I made a fairly heavily scripted house mod for Skyrim you could actually update safely without ever leaving the cell or even stopping the music box playing...

Anyway, I cleared that Molerat den from all molerats and loot then went and slept 12 days on the other side of the map with no better result. Every other cell around had repawned except... that one. Maybe it's an issue with that particular cell which takes 30 days, I don't know... When you mod exterior cells, do you actually have to wait for them to respawn before you can see your plugin changes take effect?

Edit: slept 30 days away from that cell, molerats and loot respawned alright, but my new placed objects nor container's new content never loaded... So I guess it's not a matter of cell reset either... :wallbash:

Sorry, maybe it`s a funny question but do you restart the game after saving your changes? I mean just fully quit the game menu and restart. I change my mod , save these changes and they appear immediatelly as soon as I restart and load any save. Though it mihght work differently with cells and containers. I`m mostly creating scripted buildable items, did not try to alter any cell objects.

Hey guys, thanks for your input :)

Try it on a clean save and see if the new content is there. I have been working on a home and I always load the same save even though it is not the last in list when looking at new stuff. I also run separate toon just for testing mods so my main toon stays "in game".

Yep, I did try it on a clean save, and then the new content does appear, it's only when I try to update after playing with it a while that new content never shows up. If I was going to upload it as a mod, yes, I'd test it more thoroughly - I always test my mods 2 ways: on a new game, and also on a heavily modded game. In this case, I'm only experimenting with the F04 CK trying to understand how mods update works - not much luck so far :/.

Sorry, maybe it`s a funny question but do you restart the game after saving your changes? I mean just fully quit the game menu and restart. I change my mod , save these changes and they appear immediatelly as soon as I restart and load any save. Though it mihght work differently with cells and containers. I`m mostly creating scripted buildable items, did not try to alter any cell objects.

No need to be sorry, that question makes sense. And yes, I do quit (if only to update the mod with NMM) and restart my game to load my previous save. What you're saying, especially about scripted changes showing immediately in game after your update, sort of comforts me in the idea that it should work like my experience in modding Skyrim taught me. Except in this cell, or with my setting this container as "no-respawn", it doesn't work.

Honestly, too much work kept me from going back to it and trying it all again in another interior cell less close to a settlement or directly in an exterior cell - so that issue's not solved yet for me...