Installation problem

dipsy34

Hello there, I have recently been trying to reinstall oblivion after over a year without playing but I'm running in to some problems here now. When I try to install the game I get CRC Error and it says that the file meshes.bsa doesn't match the file in the setups .cab file and that my cd might be corrupted. I choose at first to ignore and let the setup continue but I get the same error when the installation comes to the other .bsa files. When the installation was finished I tried to start the game and I could enter the menu and so but when I start a new game the loading bar goes to full and then it just sits there, nothing happens. I waited 10 minutes before giving up and still nothing, I checked if the program had crashed but it hadn't.

So if anyone got any idea of what I'm supposed to do next I'd really appreciate it.

Its possible that if you didn't completely uninstall the previous installation. If you used the uninstall that comes on the CD it leaves behind several files. Your saved game files, your Oblivion.ini and your /Oblivion/Data files.

If they were used with a newer version - patched version then that may explain the CRC errors..

I suggest that you uninstall your oblivion using the uninstall. Then look for your old files here

For the data, look in C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data If it exists, rename the data folder to something like oldata

Then for the saved games and Oblivion.ini (they're in the same folder) look here C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion. rename the \oblivion folder here to something like oldoblivion

Now try to reinstall.

If you still have a problem it is likely due to entries left behind in the registry. To get rid of them see this http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=41082

look for the part about removing the registry entries. Be careful, do a registry back up before making any changes, make a system restore point. A bad registry can make your computer unbootable and force a complete reinstall of Windows. A good restore point can save you from that.

Archived