Going Rogue: An Unarmored Thief Build?

invertedpanda

I've played a variety of characters in Skyrim up to level 30 at a minimum. My latest was a paladin style build featuring 1H (Mace), Heavy Armor, Enchanting, Blacksmithing, Alteration, and Restoration (using Wards as my shields). It's a really fun build, but I'm looking to play another stealthy character.

I played an archer style rogue, as well as an illusionist rogue. Both wore light armor, but I'm thinking that this time, it might be cool to play a rogue that goes the armor-less route (using alteration). I was thinking doing 1h/Destruction for combat (playing my paladin made dragon combat difficult without any ranged option), but there are other skills I'd like to invest in (pickpocket, for instance). Any suggestions?

I play an unarmored thief almost every time I play a thief these days. The trick is, you shouldn't engage in combat without some kind of edge. The fact that you can fire of a sneak attack, hide behind a corner, and have the guy believe he must've been imagining the arrow in his back is a good edge. If you find yourself in a situation where you're toe-to-toe with a Draugr deathlord, you're going to want that armor back.

Also, the Radiant Raimant is my favorite spot for getting an outfit. I always have to buy a carriage to Solitude before I do ANYTHING. :P

Edited by Linsolv

Looking through the perks I'll want, I should probably consider dropping 1h and destruction and just going bow to free up my tree. Even if I go destruction, I'll still need silent casting from Illusion. I dunno; there's got to be a viable way to do it. I had wanted to do alchemy + enchanting, but if I drop alchemy I may be able to do 1h + destruction.

I can't wait until some good n' proper clothing mods come out. I want my vest and black pants (think Sweeney Todd).

*edit* scratch that. I'm going with 1h, alteration, alchemy, enchantment, sneak, and pickpocket. What I'll do is just get Dragonrend ASAP to help with the dragon combat and I should be fine. The goal is to play someone who uses a lot of poisons (both pickpocketing and applying to my dagger). I'll pump most of my levels into health. Since I won't be carrying armor, and just a dagger (can anyone guess what dagger I'm going with once I hit level 20? :P) for a weapon, I shouldn't need much in stamina, and can use stamina boosting enchantments. I'll pick up the +100 carry weight perk from pickpocketing ASAP to help with loot, because I'm DEFINITELY not using a companion with a stealth focused build.

I wanted to have a fun character to play the Dark Brotherhood quests (that's the one faction I haven't completed yet), and I think this will do it.

Edited by invertedpanda

If you find yourself in a situation where you're toe-to-toe with a Draugr deathlord, you're going to want that armor back.

I don't mean to Nit-pick, but Draugr's fall into the "Kitable" category, where they really can't hurt you if you are agile. The only situation where you need armor is fighting a Bear or Saber Cat, sure they can be Kited/Glitched around rocks, but without suitable terrain they will catch and 1-2 hit kill a lightly armored character on Master.

Not sure I consider kiting an entirely legitimate strategy, but different strokes, etc. This is an interesting idea, however, no matter your interpretation of what's legit and not (it's Skyrim, so who cares?), I think this would be a fun build to try. I could see it being entirely legitimate (and immersive!) if you started with the Dark Brotherhood and actually specifically focused on sneak attacks, because with a x30 critical thanks to the sneak tree and the shrouded gloves you could be quite the formidable opponent provided you were sneak attacking.

Not sure I consider kiting an entirely legitimate strategy, but different strokes, etc. This is an interesting idea, however, no matter your interpretation of what's legit and not (it's Skyrim, so who cares?), I think this would be a fun build to try. I could see it being entirely legitimate (and immersive!) if you started with the Dark Brotherhood and actually specifically focused on sneak attacks, because with a x30 critical thanks to the sneak tree and the shrouded gloves you could be quite the formidable opponent provided you were sneak attacking.

So you prefer to use non-dynamic combat mechanics like sit there and click LMB in rapid succession until whatever is in front of you dies ?

No thanks, i'de rather make combat more interesting and skill-based. "Kiting" is a much more noble pursuit than stacking 5 billion armor rating and gloating over the fact that you are invincible, Or the simple spamming mouse clicks to see who dies first.

Archery - cheap

Armor - cheap

Superior damage - cheap

In a game without true skill-based dynamic combat mechanics, one must compensate given what they have. If you have a more interesting idea on how to kill something that will destroy you if it gets into Melee range, i'de love to hear it.

Edited by surg23

So far, so good. Early on you're really rather tame. I spent my early levels working on my alchemy, enchanting, sneak, and pickpocket skills; first 10 levels I boosted health, and got my novice level perks for everything. I'm playing on Adept difficulty, by the way. The build really doesn't flesh out until you get your sneak up; enchanting helps, as does joining the Dark Brotherhood (to get better sneak gear early on). Going armorless has proven to be pretty easy thus far, but I wish Skyrim had more interesting clothing. I ended up using the console to give me the alternate textured College Robes.

I've never played a pickpocket character in any of the TES games before, and I am really enjoying it right now. Given how many times I've played the main quest and other faction quests, sometimes I get bored and decide to go on a pickpocket spree :)

I haven't gotten my reverse-pickpocket-poison perk yet, but when I do, I can't freaking wait.

I think the largest downside is that sneak attack with melee is almost useless outside of D.B. quests. Occasionally I find people to sneak up on, but it's not NEAR as easy as it is with a bow, where you can sneak attack nearly every foe in the game.