⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

New Poisons and Delivery Methods

PsxMeUP

Problem with poisons is they are delivered in an aggressive way. Poison is supposed to be stealthy, and since the only way to deliver it in Skyrim is by either hacking at someone's head or impaling them with an arrow, many possible effects are pointless since the poison's delivery method makes your target want to kill you. Poisoning food is nice and dandy, but not every NPC eats. Hell, my character never eats. So I would love to see new ways to deliver poisons and new effects to go with it.

DELIVERY METHODS:

Touch: You apply the potion on your self and by simply coming in contact with someone they become poisoned.

Throw: If your target is far away, you can throw the potion at them. Logically speaking you wouldn't throw the entire bottle, but practically speaking that's how the game/mod would perceive it since the bottle would disappear from your inventory. The end result would have to be a non-aggressive means of delivery, meaning even if you do it in public no one would turn red on you.

Drop: It's basically throw except you'd aim at the floor and whoever passes through the liquid gets infected.

Drink: Same old...

NEW POISONS:

Blind: Opponent can't see.

Berserk: Opponent attacks everybody nearby, which results in their ultimate demise at the hands of guards or their companions.

Sleep: Makes opponent fall asleep. It's different from Paralyze because the opponent doesn't get up as long as you don't make noise and don't touch him. If you make someone fall asleep in a crowded area, someone will eventually bump into them and wake them up.

Mute: Mutes opponent so they can't cast spells or alert guards. Useful if you know your first attack won't kill your opponent and there's a risk they might alert someone.

Slow: Slows opponent (why did they nerf it to begin with?).

Craze: Makes your opponent leave... Just leave. I've had many instances where I wanted somebody to just get up and move their ass out of a room cause I needed to do something and couldn't kill them. I guess it it's the equivalent of a psychosis effect, where the target loses their senses and wanders aimlessly.

Finally, to make it all work in your inventory you'd have to create a different pop-up window when selecting a potion, where it would ask one of 4 things: Drink, Equip, Self, Weapon, or something to that effect.

INVENTORY USE

Drink: Self explanatory. You'd basically make yourself feel the effect. This should be available for poisons as well since I'd love to damage my health to train Restoration.

Equip: Would make you hold the potion so you could throw it at someone or on the floor.

Self: You would apply it on yourself, turning your body into the means of delivery by way of touch.

Weapon: Applies it to the weapon the normal way.

Edited by PsxMeUP

I really like this idea. I think that the current poison system is really, really broken. The only thing that I would like to add would be instead of adding a poison to a weapon for 1 or 2 hits the poison stays on the blade for a certain period of time and each successful hit causes the poison to be slightly less effective. Example: Apply poison that does 35 damage to your sword and it lasts indefinitely until the poison has worn off. First hit does 35 points of damage. Second hit does 30 points of damage etc., etc.

Also, for the bow, instead of wasting an entire bottle poisoning one arrow head it should apply for multiple arrows. Example: One small bottle can poison 10 arrows. A medium bottle can poison 25. A large bottle can poison 50 arrows. Also you could have an entire weapon mod centered around poisoning. Forge a dagger with an empty handle and a hollow tube into the blade, you put a bottle of poison in the handle so that when you stab someone the poison flows through the blade into the bloodstream. So how much damage you do depends on how long you can hold the person and how much poison you can deliver in that amount of time. Lingering damage poisons would be the most effective to use.

One last thing, Alchemy. You should be able to use natural poisons (Frostbite Venom, Lotus Extract, Pre-made Poisons) as a base to make your created poison exponentially stronger. Example: Created Poison = 25 Poison damage on impact but if you use Frostbite Venom as a base it will deal 10 damage a second for 3 seconds. So it changes the Instant damage to an equivalent damage over time. Or you can use a paralyze potion that you bought as a base to cause both paralysis and poison damage over time. Also you should be able to mix natural poisons together to make even more potent poisons. Example: Mix a Poison of Fear + Poison of Stamina Regen + Poison of Magicka Damage to make your enemy run away while losing stamina and magicka so by the time you've caught up with him he won't have anything with which to fight you. It'd be awesome!

Sorry for the long rant but I really loved Alchemy both in Morrowind and Oblivion and I just feel like Skyrim isn't really matching up to what the Poisoning, Potion and Alchemy skills could be.

Edited by VincentIcarus

Ya, a lot could be done. I like the uses idea and the base natural poisons to boost potency concept. Never understood what the point of venom was. You can't use it in alchemy even though it's perfectly suited for it. The amount of uses per bottle and the amount of arrows you can poison at once can be streamlined. Basically if you have 50 X and Y ingredients and decide to make a poison, you would be given a slider as to how much ingredients you want to use. If you decide to use 50 of X and Y, you get a bottle with 50 uses, which you can then use to mass-poison 50 arrows at once.

• 1 year later...

I always hated that when you use poison on an arrow, you use the whole blasted bottle for just one bloody arrow. Apparently a master alchemist who has just about the most skilled and steady hands when making potions is too incompetent to not spill an entire bottle of highly expensive poison when coating one ****ing arrow. I mean, come on! Skyrim: "Hey, guess what! You spent 200 gold to make that poison, and now you only get to use it for one, lousy shot! Good Luck!". Somebody PLEASE make poison taint more arrows.

Edited by clonemarine