Martin always dies: Defense of Bruma

Moksha8088

13 times Martin died before the third gate appeared. 14th time I went through the gate, but while getting to the tower on the Oblivion Side, a message finally appeared to tell me Martin had died and the quest failed.

What can I do to make Martin survive? Don't think there is a set essential code in Oblivion.

If you have OBSE installed, you could try opening the console, selecting Martin, and using this to set him essential (where the value is either 0 or 1 depending on whether you want Martin to be essential or not):

SetRefEssential 1

You can check the essential status with this:

GetRefEssential

Assuming I remember the commands correctly, that is. Would not be the first time I make a mistake or two. :tongue: Also, you might want to make sure nothing actually breaks when/if Martin does not die (in case him dying is mandatory for advancing a quest or somesuch). I have never played through the main quest myself so I have no idea which gates those are and whatnot. But those commands should help you manage your NPCs' essential status, if I remember correctly. Just remember to make sure nothing breaks because of some NPC being essential when that NPC should die for a quest to progress. :thumbsup:

Edited by Contrathetix

The non-OBSE method for setting Martin to essential is:

setessential 33907 1 - to make him essential

setessential 33907 0 - to make him non-essential again

I used the method of reverse-pickpocketing enchanted daedric armor attained via the bound armor glitch my first time through. Next time I just used zero weight enchanted rings and amulet I created in the Construction Set. In both cases to make it until the Great Gate opened about the only thing my guy did was cast a custom on touch healing spell on Martin, along with a custom on touch shield spell (and chugged a few potions for himself).

It's an endurance test.

Have tried and failed this quest 21 times.

Otherwise you can set NPC's as essential or not with this mod

Added this but could not find it under spells. There is no mention in the description what the spell name is called.

The non-OBSE method for setting Martin to essential is:

setessential 33907 1 - to make him essential

This did not work in the console.

Take that back. Was missing a digit on the Setessential code for Martin.

setessential 33907 1 worked for Martin. Got the sigil stone and returned to Martin. After talking to him I used the resurrect code on the named characters who were dead.

Success!!! It went from a flawed hopeless quest to a completed quest with a little console magic.

Thanks for the help.

You know, the crazy thing was the message that Martin had died after being in the oblivion gate area for over 15 minutes real time. I assumed the game would not have any combat action when I was somewhere else if I left him alive when I entered the big gate he would be alive when I returned. I guess having him set to essential meant he could continue the battle even though all the other characters apparently died during this off camera action. Glad the other named characters from Cloud Ruler Temple were able to be resurrected afterward.

What is with Oblivion and touch spells anyway? I like the good old cast from a distance spells of Skyrim.

What is with Oblivion and touch spells anyway? I like the good old cast from a distance spells of Skyrim.

You won't have to worry about missing as much when using a touch spell. They cost less magicka, and cost less drakes too when buying them from a spell-vendor. It's practically melee-type spellcasting.