EVERYONE acts like they're in combat/fighting someone

Grunker

After finishing Blackreach, I noticed I was missing my follower, Ugor. I tracked her down to some random cave in The Chill where she was imprisoned... by a frost atronach?

Okay.

I killed the atronach, picked the lock on her door, and escaped. Delivered the McGuffin to Septimus and went back to solitude to rest at my house.

EXCEPT: every single NPC in the entirety of Skyrim now acts like they're fighting someone. They all run in the same direction - from Arngeir in the Throat of the World to the beggar in Markarth. They cast buffs on themselves, run to safety or do whatever else their AI tells them to when a fight is near.

Suffice it to say, there are no actual enemies anywhere.

So... what gives?

My load order is as follows (this is my first major problem, been playing for hours on end):

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
Campfire.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
Immersive Solstheim.esp
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp
Immersive Whiterun.esp
ETaC - Dragon Bridge South.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ELFX - Weathers.esp
ETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.esp
ETaC - Whiterun Ext ELFX Patch.esp
SkyUI.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-1.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_DB.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-40.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_NL2.esp
TrueStorms.esp
TrueStorms-CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp
Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB - Flame Atronach Fix.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
ExpandedCarriageService.esp
Princess Proudspire Manor.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Bijin Warmaidens.esp
Bijin Wives.esp
Cloaks.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
Frostfall.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
iHUD.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
iNeed.esp
iNeed - Dangerous Diseases.esp
Serana.esp
Valerica.esp
TKAA.esp
Race Scale Remover.esp
VendorSaleDelay-Gone.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
Watercolor_for_ENB_RWT.esp
Immersive Citizens - ELFXEnhancer patch.esp
Requiem.esp
Requiem - Legendary Bugsmasher Edition.esp
ETaC - Complete Requiem Patch.esp
Requiem - Blessings Ignore Crime.esp
Requiem for the Indifferent.esp

Edited by Grunker

LOL! I'd like to see a video of that!

Are they running away from you and your follower? You haven't become Arch Villains or something after killing the Atronach and freeing Ugor? Or are they acting like there's a dragon or vampire attack?

What's this one do and do you have the latest version and checked it's in the right position:

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul?

And the ELFX patch is still OK, does not need to be remade due to changing something?

And doesn't Requiem change AI already? Sometimes, a mod set can seem fine for a while and them some conflict surfaces.

~

Immersive AI Overhaul is the latest version and I believe it is completely compatible with Requiem except for a few minor things like the combat AI of some Whiterun followers being off.

As for the ELFX patch still being OK, this install is very fresh (one month old tops?) and almost nothing has been installed prior to the new game. The only fairly intensive addition was Enhanced Towns and Cities and I specifically installed that with directions for installing it on a progressed Requiem-save.

Unfortunately I don't really have experience recording game footage, otherwise it would be fairly simple to record the behaviour.

Are they running away from you and your follower?

Nope, they ignore both of us completely, focusing on the evil, menacing, invisible villain somewhere off in the distance.

Edited by Grunker

Unfortunately I don't really have experience recording game footage, otherwise it would be fairly simple to record the behaviour.

It's easy if you install something like MSI Afterburner. It's designed for Radeons but works for any card. It helps control the fans etc and also can be set up for Screen Shots and recording videos. 20 seconds will be enough. I think Steam itself also allows video and screen shots.

With Afterburner, you'd probably have to upload a video to YouTube or somewhere, but with the Steam system it can be put on your personal page, IIRC.

The reason I asked about Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul is because it's the only one I could see that obviously affects NPC AI behaviour.

In the thousands of hours I played Skyrim, I don't recall any follower being kidnapped and held prisoner by an Atronach. Either it's part of the game I never played (EG I never killed the Vampire boss or became a werewolf) or it's a quest from a mod or it's something affecting AI behaviour. A Free-Willed Atronach! LOL!

I have lost followers several times, though.

The Nexus page for that mod suggest that a lot of people are very happy with it. But bugs can come from all sorts of unexpected interactions.

It's as if they are detecting enemies far away that they should not be. Did you ever change uGridsTo Load? That creates a much larger radius around the Dragonborn that can cause quests and other proximity-triggers to kick in earlier. I always use 7 or 9, very much to the chagrin of most other players. But I like the way it increases view distance and graphics quality, allows arrows to kill wolves way off in the distance and makes the world seem more alive with things happening even if I am not there yet. I've never had an issue with it or for a quest to bug out due to starting prematurely, but it sounds like a possibility for your issue.

I suppose you have the correct and latest version of USLEEP for the Legendary Edition and the latest SKSE for that version?

And you don't have Legendary and SE mods mixed in?

The thing is that if something gets baked into a save it's almost impossible to shift it. If you cannot go back to a save before your follower was imprisoned (or do not want to), you'll have to get some feedback from the mod author about possible conflicts and try to fix the issue.

If you cannot fix the issue, you'll have to go back to an earlier save.

Or, start a new game with a definitely stabilised mod list.

:sad:

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I can answer yes to most of your "did you remember so and so"-questions, and no to stuff like uGridLoad. Precisely because I am not an experienced modder I basically just installed that list and made the exact changes the mod authors told me to, then only added in 2 or 3 insignificant mods later.

I will try a complete uninstall of immersive citizens next, I think.

Edited by Grunker