DA:O Noob Very Basic Questions

ebonmort

I am playing Elissa Cousland; the warrior who has the specialization of Templar and Champion. My question is about weapon set. My strength is up with Alistair's but I am slow to get the weapon I really need because of my dexterity. I play with the duelist for 1st weapon set and then the bow for the second weapon set. Is this the proper weapon selection for this character because I am trying to build her for battle.

It sometimes play Alistair as a dual-wield Templar/Champion off tank, with a sword-and-board Templar/Champion Warden as meat shield.

For most of the game I only stack enough strength on him to equip medium armour, instead concentrating on building DEX, with the odd point in CON (for survivability) and WIL (stamina and for effective use of Holy Smite). (@ LVL 23 his build would be something like STR 31, DEX 42, WIL 26, MAG 11, CUN 14, CON 21, though a Warden will have considerable more leeway in distribution due to 'freebie' attributes from tomes and quest rewards; I make up the deficit in STR for equipping T7 Medium armour with + STR gear).

For talents I fill out the entire Dual Weapon tree, the entire Templar and Champion trees (since Holy Smite and War Cry are invaluable), the Death Blow line of Warrior. If I still have points left, I'll either work toward Disengage or pick up some archery talents for the rare odd instance I want to use him ranged... though admittedly, I find it difficult to build a Warrior who is truly effective at both melee and ranged combat... there just aren't enough talent points to do both.

Not a min/max approach, to be sure, but one that I've used with success.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The broken circle is my favorite quest. Unlike a lot of people, I love the fade. I like having to figure out puzzles. I wish there was more of that in the game!

See? Personal tastes vary. I loathe being in the Fade and have employed the "Skip the Fade" mod ever since I first discovered it (over 5 years and two dozen playthroughs ago!)

I only removed it for my most recent run a couple of weeks ago because I was beta testing Qwinn's (massively) updated Fixpack. :thumbsup:

Yes, the others are equally involved. (Some think "The Broken Circle" is the easiest of the three...)

I've just cleaned out Denerim, as much as I can. Going to do DLCs "Return to Ostagar" and "Warden's Keep" before heading to Redcliffe. The undead invasion in Redcliffe Village sounds like such a hassle to plod through.

"Nope." or "Yep." Depends on your approach and attitude. I find it to be one of the most challenging (albeit brief) stretches of the game, but then I usually play it early. Some wait until much later, when the Party is at a much higher level. And I don't consider it a true victory unless I can keep the entire village alive. :thumbsup:

Plus, there are a number of (small) side quests/plot lines that can add to your Warden's investment in the outcome. Bella/Lloyd, Owen/Valena, Kaitlyn/Bevin, Murdock, Ser Perth, Dwyn, Tomas, and even Berwick -- All add to the meaning of the engagement for me.

[EDIT: And Isolde can go jump in Lake Calenhad for all I care, but Connor is just a kid.]

Edited by Thandal
Full Disclosure.