Sound loops, then game freezes up entire PC

Deleted3258978User

@JimmyRJump- Wowza, 12000 hours? I think that's more than I have between all of the games I've played haha, at least on Steam. Personally I have 630 hours in Fallout 4, which is still quite a bit, and there has always been the occasional crash, but it's never been this bad. I can't help but think the Creation Club update broke something, or at least made things less stable so that my PC has trouble running it now.

I also have Skyrim (both oldrim and special edition) and while oldrim has its moments with crashes, special edition plays much smoother and rarely crashes for me. When it does, it's like you say, it's usually due to mods and is either user error, a load order issue, and/or mod conflict, and the culprit can be found and the problem can be fixed after some tinkering and trial and error.

Fallout 4 on the other hand... It seems super unstable for a lot of users from the get-go, not just people like me with possible hardware difficulties. I can understand growing out of it, it certainly isn't a game for everyone (especially fans of the series who wanted more RPG elements) and there's only so much content. Mods can extend the life but then you risk making the game less stable. It was fun while it lasted, but I guess I simply can't play it until I upgrade or otherwise change my rig. Wish I knew what the exact problem was though, it'd be a shame to upgrade my card only to find it wasn't the issue.

Edited by Guest

I have an I7, 1070ti, Nvidia optimum settings and get frames that drop to 20 in some places. You might try skinned down settings and see if the problem pops up again.

Right now I have everything on low, I'm not sure if I can do much else with the settings. I'll take a look though and see if anything else can be toned down.

Perhaps I should seek out mods that are meant to downgrade graphics a bit for the sake of performance, anyone know of any?

I have an I7, 1070ti, Nvidia optimum settings and get frames that drop to 20 in some places. You might try skinned down settings and see if the problem pops up again.

Right now I have everything on low, I'm not sure if I can do much else with the settings. I'll take a look though and see if anything else can be toned down.

Perhaps I should seek out mods that are meant to downgrade graphics a bit for the sake of performance, anyone know of any?

Lowering the settings in FO4 for some reason doesn't do much to alleviate resource use. Turning everything to lowest settings will have the machine use as much RAM as in highest settings. Only thing that really makes a change is lowering resolution. I played a while in 1280x whatever in windowed mode because around the time the Automatron DLC ws released I stuttered from crash to freeze back to crash. Started playing windowed to be able to get out of the game in case of a freeze. I'm using a 37" Samsung TV as monitor, so even at that resolution the game looked like a 24" built-in screen on the TV.

But, if not already using them, Hein84's Vivid series is a good point to start your quest. The textures look almost like 2 or even 4k but are the same size as vanilla.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is curious, downloading lower-end texture packs and config settings seems to have made my crashes stop. I still lag here and there with the occasional hang up, but I don't crash. Mods like insignificant object remover have also been applied and the game seems to be running much more smoothly. The visuals have been impacted a bit, but until I can afford a new graphics card, it'll do.

Thanks JimmyRJump for the help as well as everyone else who left a comment.

Try to start a new game and test it there. When the game freezes, no matter if its Elder Scrolls or Fallout, it could be related to scripts. Does the freeze happen without any action?

There is a bug wih VATS that causes the game to freeze.