[LE] Building my first dungeon. A few questions XD

Kanori24

Hi all :smile:

So I've finally gotten in the deep here and I'm taking a swing at building my first dungeon. I'm essentially making an entrance at an already existing landmark in Skyrim, to my new dungeon.

I knew it would be a straightforward process and some steep learning would be involved, but non of that is new to me. What is new to me, however, is the bugs (?) in the creation kit. I'm unsure of what I'm dealing with here.

So, first off. Draugr not appearing. No conditions or anything, just selected from a leveled list and placed the marker in the rooms. Well... they're not appearing. Is this a bug or am I missing something? I've added enemies to vanilla dungeons before, so I can't see what I'm doing wrong, especially when the process seems to be 'drag and drop'.

Second, the exterior entrance to my dungeon that I've added to the world. I made a hole in the ground , used nordic shafts and stairs to get you down to the bottom where there is a door. the problem is... what appears to be landscape LOD is coming through the walls at the bottom of the shaft. How does one go about reconfiguring the landscape LOD?? Or does it do it on its own, and just isn't doing a very good job?

Lastly... LANDSCAPE FORMING. OH MY GOD. These are the worst tools I have ever used. Flattening has a huge effect radius, smoothing does anything but smooth the terrain, and the smallest 'brush' setting is too enormous for what I am attempting to do. All I really need here is some helpful pointers on wielding these clunky tools.

5OrzPEN.png

5W8xymq.jpg

First the Draugr not appearing. Is the cell you are placing them in navmeshed and is it finalized? Without navmesh in the cell the NPCs will not spawn.

Second from the looks of the lower picture, the hole you made in the landscape is not large enough to accommodate the pieces you placed in there. And yes any LOD may be in play also.

Third the landscape tools take some getting used to. You can adjust the radius of the area you want to work with as well as the strength of the effect. The smooth tool will help even out high or low spots to the actual base terrain. It will not change or flatten anything like rocks or trees. They will have to be removed by hand.

But again making any dramatic changes to the Tamriel landscape will effect the LODs in that area. Unless you regenerate them for that area which can be quite q task if you have never done it before.

Edited by Aragorn58

It must be NavMeshed properly since I tried removing the draugr and placing necromancers, and they appeared without any problems...

I tried making the hole a bit larger already, but the LOD didn't seem to compensate at all. Perhaps this evening I will backup my plugin and make the hole gigantic just to test and see if it will change anything.

It would be easier to make a load door on the surface, maybe placed on the side of a mountain or other piece of the vanilla landscape that places you inside the top of the stairwell, or you could place a piece of Nordic temple exterior imbedded in a slope with a load door and access to your stair inside. Trying to mess with vanilla terrain for your first mod would be difficult.

As for your missing NPC when you checked your navmesh did any errors come up? Missing NPCs are usually due to Navmesh missing or errors or package problems.

Also did you unactivate your mod, start a new game and make a save possibly when you reach riverwood? Then you can activate your mod and when checking it use the clean save and COC to your mod to check it. The placement of objects and many other things gets baked into a save. You can change it in the CK but they still will be in their old location because it got fixed in your save game.

Okay, I must have gotten confused. My dungeon was NOT navmeshed at all. I was under the impression that when you leave the navmesh thingy in the cell window that was all I needed. How wrong I was :P Spent 2 hours appropriately navmeshing, path testing, and play testing in game. So that made all of my enemies appear, do their patrols, and chase me all over the dungeon. Thanks for that tip.

And now I am setting up my first pillar puzzle. Would anyone (of you two so far) like to try my dungeon and critique my handy work?