Diversified Lock UI

twowolves80

Simple mod idea, no idea how hard it would be to execute (although I imagine it would require knowledge of Blender/GIMP/what-have-you). Google/Bing has turned up nothing but mods for increasing ease/difficulty, or making the only UI for locks 150 Billion K resolution. (I kid, but seriously, no one needs an 8K lock retex)

A different-looking lock for the various containers in Skyrim. In other words, a Dwemer chest will have a Dwemer-looking lock. A strongbox will have a strongbox-looking lock. A large chest will have a...eh. You get the idea.

I know there is a few mods floating about that improve the resolution, or change the appearance entirely, but here's the thing: it's the same lock UI no matter what the container looks like.

You could even call it Diversified Locks or whatever.

I also know that you would have to assign the lock types in the CK to each type of chest, but the lock images would need to be created from scratch, although I would hope there would be a way to speed this up by using vanilla assets. It wouldn't have to be super fancy, but the diversification of lock types would, imho, add greatly to immersion. Here's how I imagine it going:

Player: Oh, yay, another dwemer chest, greaaaaaaaat. And look! It somehow has a modern-day Nord locking mechanism! Wheee!

After installing Diversified Locks:

Player: Oh, yay, another dwemer chest, greaaaaaaaat. And look! It somehow has a--wait, what? It looks like it belongs there! Omg! I gotta tell everybody! Immediately PMs everyone about the new mod. Endorse! Endorse! Endorse! Hotfiles!

And there you have it. Greater immersion, lots of endorsements, and basking in the eternal sunshine of knowing you were the first (maybe?) to diversify the locks in Skyrim.

Yes, I'm aware this involves a bit of work. I can't do the 3D rendering stuff myself, but if you show me how to make the reference tables that the engine uses to assign the locks to the containers, I can help get that part done...hopefully. I can also bring coffee and donuts (or Skooma and sweetrolls, if you prefer). I have only a few dozen septims to offer, unless you prefer haralds or dumacs.

Thank you in advance (even if no one makes this) for all that you modders actually do make. You are modern-day wizards.

Edited by twowolves80

lol Um...that's not good? Unfortunately, I discovered it's not just a matter of using any lock image, it has to be aligned around where the lock picks center. And my photoshop skills are terrible (I used to know how to use CS2! Waaaaaay back!). I don't think I'm allowed to link the other thread here... (Moderators? Any thoughts on this?) Otherwise I would, but he basically said the same thing.

I would just like to see Dwemer locks look...I dunno...dwemerish? And then there's the whole line Mercer Frey gives you about that draugr ring combo lock... "These locks all have a weakness. You just have to know what it is..." Which he then goes to fail to explain. Thanks, Mercer! Ya son of a...

But if there were only just a different appearing lock for each container type, I'd be happy. This seems like it should be number one for an immersion mod...

Also, nice Dune reference, by the way. The original Dune...ah, Patrick Stewart...is there anything that he is in that isn't elevated to theatrical art? lol

I haven't tried it, but I've seen others who have, and I keep seeing the same response, that it can't be done. I would love to be proven wrong.

Patrick Stewart is amazing, and he hasn't aged since Dune!!! That was 1984!!! https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a7/2b/b8/a72bb87c8658970bbc70f8536e3842a3.jpg

Edited by NinjaWarriorPoet

• 5 weeks later...