Settlement Objects load in slowly

EnclaveOverlord1

Been using the Vivid series since they were released. Never saw much advantage in 4K textures, giving my stamp-sized budget when it comes to buying new suitable hardware. Playing in 1080 on a 37" screen, I use mostly 2K textures with the occasianal 4K for some small objects, although I've noticed that sometimes smaller objects tend to lean heavier on the GPU than larger surfaces. Maybe because, like with the 4K road signs I had, it's more stringent to load several smaller surfaces spread across a wider area than one large object.

FO4 has been the most erratic game I've ever played though, when it comes to memory use and fps. Even when Skyrim was released and I was running on two 6970 cards while the game wasn't at all suited to play in CrossFireX did I have as much nonsensical results as in FO4.

I also never noticed much difference between loose files and packed ones, but it makes kind of sense that a bsa is easier to read than loose files. It's a bit like reading files from a heavily fragmented drive versus from a freshly defragmented one.

For me, even with 450 mods and 255 plug-ins, Far Harbor was the area I had the least problems with and which has always run the most stable. No RAM spikes, no crashes, no nothing, even with five added settlements around the place and expansions for the existing ones with close to a hundred settlers in each one of them.

Hey Jimmy, do you happen to run a GPU with above average (whatever that means :P ) memory? Along with my belt & pulley hard drive, I have a 980TI (6GB) which is a beast, er, at least it was a beast with Skyrim and previous FO games. But I get the feeling that this game will use as much memory as you can throw at it (I use ENBoost to help things somewhat). Actually been toying with the idea of getting a 1080TI for the extra memory. Anyways, perhaps that's why you can't see a big diff between ba2's and loose files while I can.

I swapped my trusty, then six year old, MSI R7970 Lightning 3GB for a slightly less powefull (that miserable budget) MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB in August last year. It was meant as an in-between card as back then the Vega64 was going to be released around the holidays and that was what I was aiming for if the price wasn't too steep. Now, I think I'm going to sweat it out until AMD releases their new card or until licensees finally come up with something reasonably boosted for a fair price in the Vega64 class.

I also have been keeping an eye on the 1070ti from MSI, in case I'd get a sudden, irresistable urge. Don't know. We'll see. For the time being -and since I don't intend to go beyond 1080p in the near future- that RX470 is very able to digest whatever I throw at it.

Anyway, despite the RX470 being a bit less powefull, that 8GB V-RAM made all the difference, though. I also still run ENBoost set at 12GB (12288MB), which, if I remember correctly, is the max setting ENBoost can handle.

In FO4, by means of monitoring through MSI Afterburner on my keyboard's display, I use between 4 and 5GB of system RAM (including 2.7GB for the OS) and always hover around 7.5GB V-RAM. I used to have spikes of over 12GB overall RAM use (system RAM and V-RAM combined) in areas like Downtown Boston and around the whole of the Freedom Trail.

I had the same exact issue as OP, along with crashes and game freezes. At first I thought the problem was FO4 specifically, but then I discovered near-identical problems with a few other games like BF4. I was about to write it down to my hardware becoming defective, but then I discovered the culprit - a torrent uploading at 3~mb/s.. Turns out my 8 gigs of RAM could not handle a newer game AND uploading sth at the same time. Turned off the torrent app and the problem disappeared completely.

Edited by VaiderLT