Progressive Thu'um Proficiency

Deleted6919211User

Greetings!

After watching the Skyrim fan movies parts 1 & 2 by YongYea on YouTube and seeing how his own Dragonborn progressed, I couldn't help but feel my own characters were getting the short end of the stick. I watched in awe as his character rifled off clever shout combinations with impossible speed and thought to myself, "Why the heck can't I do that!?"

Well, I could do that... if I simply opened the console and typed playersetav shoutrecoverymult 0

And as I set off to get the last two remaining parts of the Cyclone shout in Solstheim, I'm thinking that might serve as a just reward. But it doesn't feel very sporting... simply typing a code and VOILA! :rolleyes:

So, as a long-term Skyrim mod enthusiast I ask the question: "Is there a mod for that?" :geek:

If not, then imagine a mod that progressively reduces shout cooldown time with every new Word Wall discovered and its ancient knowledge unlocked with a dragon's soul, eventually reaching a cooldown time of 0 once all the shouts are available!

The only setback to this idea is the short list of Word Walls that are quest locked and/or faction specific. But regardless of those few discrepancies, such a progression would still make anyone's Dragonborn feel more appropriately capable of becoming a virtual Thu'um Master (even if they're still short a word or two) :thumbsup:

I also think this would add greater incentive to revisit the Greybeards and seek out every Thu'um attainable, which would give us more reason to go adventuring and contribute more hours of gameplay by simply enhancing the emphasis on mechanics that already exist in the game.

Any thoughts, supportive comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Better yet- MAKE THIS A MOD PLEASE! :dance:

Sincerely,

Dallesse :kiss:

Have you seen Dragonborn Ascendant? It has quite a few of the features you describe. Cooldown times decrease and some shouts' powers increase based on the amount of dragon souls you've absorbed.

Also, I don't have any in my game, but I am aware of a few mods that move word walls outside of quest-locked areas. Skyrim Unlocked is one.

Happy (Dragon) Hunting

Thank you for your response, EgoAltar!

I was not aware of that mod by MadCat221, but I am familiar with other mods by that author. I like their work and very much appreciate the link. Its a pretty interesting mod; a variation on the theme I'm reaching for, albeit a more personalized and complex vision than my own. Although MadCat221 and I would probably agree on several points, there is one opinion we do not share on the matter, which can be identified by this quote from that mod's page:

"If you want to belt off shouts every half-second, break your game balance on your own. :P"

Whereas MadCat221 believes having 0 shout cooldown time is OP, I think it is justifiable. Consider how many hours a player can put into procuring the entire Thu'um collection. Its quite an investment. Having 0 cooldown does not, in fact, break anything literally. Personally, I don't like sacrificing a slot to that silly amulet and never liked the idea of a slavish reliance upon a shrine for a daily rebuff. If "The Way" was Christianity- the Dragonborn is the incarnation of JESUS. Imagine Jesus putting on rosary beads and going to church for absolution. That seems about as silly as Sheogorath paying homage to himself at his own shrine in Cyrodiil! :wacko:

Jesus was known first as a carpenter, right? Becoming divine was a process.

And what about freedom of choice and religion? I realize those liberties might not exactly be thematic in relation to the setting of the game, but the Amulet of Talos and his shrine are very culturally (and to a degree, even racially where most Nord beliefs are concerned) specific. And these limitations are placed in a RPG that supposedly favors diversity in character creation. They could have put the cooldown reduction associated with the Talos shrine on the Akatosh symbol. Akatosh is revered by most (if not all) cultures on Nirn. But noooo. Even Kynareth (who, according to legend, persuaded Paarthurnax to teach the Thu'um to humans) has a shrine that could have bestowed this minor blessing. But that is beside the point. Would it make sense for a Dunmer Dragonborn to put on an Amulet of Talos and pray at his shrine for better shout cooldowns!? Or how about an Orcish Dragonborn? Or an assassin Dragonborn that serves Sithis? I am well aware of the significance placed upon Talos worship in the context of TESV. But it caters to a very narrowed range of specific roleplay and forsakes the rest, IMO.

Using a mod like Skyrim Unlocked makes good sense to me, because it removes some of those limitations Bethesda saw fit to place upon character building potential. SU would be a perfect accompaniment to what I have in mind here. Bethesda has this all-encompassing way of trying to either persuade, trick or blatantly force a whole spectrum of roleplay onto each character we build. You have to be rather conscious and clever to avoid their faction snares. Otherwise, every build churns out a great deal of inevitable similarities. Putting Word Walls in places where you will only find them via faction access was just their latest ploy to pull the completionist gamers into situations that otherwise might bear no appeal. It was an absurd thing to do from a roleplay perspective. Do you think a Templar-style Mage/Cleric (being played by a compulsive completionist) would murder an old woman to get access to the Dark Brotherhood hideout only to complete a Thu'um?

Here's another example- A Green Pact Bosmer who is also Dragonborn. They have sworn themselves to Jephre and vowed never to shapeshift for fear of being taken by The Ooze. Do you think that Bosmer would join The Companions (a group of traditionally nord warriors who originally banded together to slaughter elves) for the sake of having that missing part of the Fire Breath shout... only to find out later that they would have to forsake their religious beliefs and become a werewolf? Or be left with a questline they could never complete? Utter nonsense. :down:

*Disclaimer* - Folks, I'm not looking to start a holy war. I was just using Jesus as an example. Please don't start hurling accusations or quoting scripture. :facepalm:

What I'm hoping to see with this mod idea would be much more simple, with no frills, no MCM menu and hopefully... no scripts. Just a gradual and permanent decline in cooldown times, until we reach 0. :tongue:
Such a mod would cater to the needs of both completionists and roleplayers of all types.

I'm currently playing an educated and skeptical Nord who looks askance at the very idea of Talos and all the inconsistencies of legend and history that surround Tiber Septim aka Hjalti Early-Beard.

She views Talos worship for what it really is- a "Cult of personality".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_personality

Do you think she wants to go touch his shrine for a shout cooldown reduction? That would make about as much sense as a Muslim going to a Catholic parish to worship Allah because there were no mosques in the general vicinity. :ermm:

When in the north- do as the Nords do? Ummmm.... I don't think so, Todd.