Fed Up w/ Skyrim CTD TMP Save Bug

LilMrsMoffett

I've read the descriptions for the Crash Fixes and Bug Fixes the other links mentioned and felt very confused. I don't fully understand how to do exactly what needs done.

Edited by LilMrsMoffett

You need an "end tag" at the bottom of each post. It looks like this:

I couldn't post both or else it wouldn't show up. The spoiler tag wraps your list so that you can open and close it. Like this:

This is an example of a spoiler tag.

It's nice to use it
for very long lists
so that people reading
the comments can scroll
past it easily if they
want to.

Your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini can be found in Documents\My Games\Skyrim. You can go there with Windows Explorer. They're just text files, so you can open them in Notepad and copy & paste the contents here. Your enblocal.ini would be found in the Skyrim main directory, but it sounds like you don't have one.

For Crash Fixes, you have to install SKSE Plugin Preloader first. I wanted to find a YouTube video for you, but there aren't any good ones and the two that I did find are for Mod Organizer.

For SKSE Plugin Preloader:

1. Download the file manually. It's a zip file.
  2. If you know how to get to your Skyrim directory, go there in Windows Explorer. Otherwise, go to your Steam Library, right-click on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, click Properties, go to the Local Files tab and click "Browse Local Files..."
  3. Open the zip file.
  4. Drag/extract the d3dx9_42.dll file into your Skyrim directory.

For Crash Fixes:

1. Install the mod through NMM.
  2. From your Skyrim directory (see step 2 above), go to Data\SKSE\Plugins and double-click CrashFixPlugin.ini to open it in Notepad.
  3. Change "UseOSAllocators=0" to "UseOSAllocators=1".
  4. Save and exit Notepad.

For Bug Fixes and Load Game CTD Fix, just install them through NMM. Let's leave ENBoost until later.

I looked at your load order (thank you for posting it) and the only thing I can think of is to install XPMSE instead of XPMS. The version of XPMS that you have is old and I've seem lots of problems with it. The extended version is newer and works better. Be sure to overwrite any other files with it (especially Realistic Ragdolls and Force). Also, run FNIS and always enable the "SKELETON Arm Fix".

You could also update SMIM to version 2.07 but I don't think that will resolve any crashes.

You need an "end tag" at the bottom of each post. It looks like this:

I couldn't post both or else it wouldn't show up. The spoiler tag wraps your list so that you can open and close it. Like this:

This is an example of a spoiler tag.

It's nice to use it

for very long lists

so that people reading

the comments can scroll

past it easily if they

want to.

Your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini can be found in Documents\My Games\Skyrim. You can go there with Windows Explorer. They're just text files, so you can open them in Notepad and copy & paste the contents here. Your enblocal.ini would be found in the Skyrim main directory, but it sounds like you don't have one.

For Crash Fixes, you have to install SKSE Plugin Preloader first. I wanted to find a YouTube video for you, but there aren't any good ones and the two that I did find are for Mod Organizer.

For SKSE Plugin Preloader:

1. Download the file manually. It's a zip file.
  2. If you know how to get to your Skyrim directory, go there in Windows Explorer. Otherwise, go to your Steam Library, right-click on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, click Properties, go to the Local Files tab and click "Browse Local Files..."
  3. Open the zip file.
  4. Drag/extract the d3dx9_42.dll file into your Skyrim directory.

For Crash Fixes:

1. Install the mod through NMM.
  2. From your Skyrim directory (see step 2 above), go to Data\SKSE\Plugins and double-click CrashFixPlugin.ini to open it in Notepad.
  3. Change "UseOSAllocators=0" to "UseOSAllocators=1".
  4. Save and exit Notepad.

For Bug Fixes and Load Game CTD Fix, just install them through NMM. Let's leave ENBoost until later.

I looked at your load order (thank you for posting it) and the only thing I can think of is to install XPMSE instead of XPMS. The version of XPMS that you have is old and I've seem lots of problems with it. The extended version is newer and works better. Be sure to overwrite any other files with it (especially Realistic Ragdolls and Force). Also, run FNIS and always enable the "SKELETON Arm Fix".

You could also update SMIM to version 2.07 but I don't think that will resolve any crashes.

Thank you for the advice. I'll give these a try.

So, if I have a character I'm currently playing, does that mean any updating I do, regardless of whether or not I run LOOT and FNIS, will ruin it?

I keep running NMM to check for any updates that my mods might need, but it's telling me everything is up to date.

Generally updates won't hurt your game, but sometimes there's a special procedure to do an update. Always read what it says on the mod description page. It's nice when they fill in the Changes page. If you want to stay as safe as possible, then it's all about reading.

Look out especially for major revisions. Usually the modder will indicate that by, say, going from version 4.6 to 5.0. You might want to avoid it if the changes in the mod are something particularly huge. Usually the smaller the number change, the safer it is. I say usually because modders can do anything they want with the version number, including making it blank or putting words in it.

Edited by Grospolina

Well I get this too but usually around the 120-140 save point and lvl 20-25 which like you is frustrating because all that work down the drain you know. Comparing the plugins I use that we share are Ineed, Skyui, Eyes of beauty, Kshairdos, Usleep, and RaceCompatibility.esm. I don't want to blame any one mod but in my playthroughs that lasted well past lvl 50 and 100's of hours in I was using the old single Unofficial single patches with the rest of the above mods.....interesting.

I am tesing a new game now with limited hdt, no bodyslide, no Death Alternative and keeping all plugins below 250 (even including unchecked ones from Visual transfer tool) So here is hoping.

Generally updates won't hurt your game, but sometimes there's a special procedure to do an update. Always read what it says on the mod description page. It's nice when they fill in the Changes page. If you want to stay as safe as possible, then it's all about reading.

Look out especially for major revisions. Usually the modder will indicate that by, say, going from version 4.6 to 5.0. You might want to avoid it if the changes in the mod are something particularly huge. Usually the smaller the number change, the safer it is. I say usually because modders can do anything they want with the version number, including making it blank or putting words in it.

Okay. I'll try to remember this.

Modding SKyrim is a lot like Russian roulette no matter what you do and how carefully you follow all the "crash prevention" and "performance settings" you will crash at some point.

But you can do alot to prevent it and keep playing without problems to your save file after restarting the game.

It's alot to take in and can be overwhelming but do not be afraid, if you follow the steps and tutorials carefully you should get through it even if you are not that tech savvy :-)

First thing i would do is switch over to Mod Organizer, though it has a steeper learning curve over the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM), it's the best tool to mod your game since it will not touch your original Skyrim files folders. Simply unchecking all mods in Mod Organizer (MO) and you can start a new game without any mod or any traces of mods in your original Skyrim folder. You will always have a clean unmodded game at your disposal that you can play without issues.

Second, it's profile manager is alot better then that of NMM, make a "Test" profile, start installing mods and testing them, once you have a set of mods installed that work well together, simply copy that test profile in MO, rename it to your "Play" profile and you will always have a working modded profile you can play with without problems.

(The only thing that is not seperated from the profiles are animations, so when you switch to another profile always run FNIS)

If you want to install new mods do it on the test profile or make a second test profile and start all over, once done and all is working you can then copy that second test profile to a second play profile.

It is strongly adviced to always start a new game after adding and removing mods, MO makes this alot easier and you can always go back to another character by simply selecting that profile and you can play on like before with the original mods for that profile only. Very handy if you are getting frustrated installing new mods, simply switch profile to play without problems for a while and return to adding mods later.

Start with a clean install of Skyrim, you can backup your current saves and re use them later but i strongly advice against it, only use an old save on a test profile.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

After this clean installation start the game play through the start untill after leaving the cave, i suggest 4 saves

Male save Imperial

Male save Stormcloaks

Female save Imperial

Female save Stormcloaks

Why male and female, if you are using race mods or character visual mods you can use the console command "showracemenu" to test them even on a clean test save it's not recommended to change gender, so if you installed any male changing mods use the male save and the female save for any female character generation mods.

Backup these 4 saves and keep them safe, you can use these to quickly test after installing mods, they should always work, after you made a new profile in MO you can copy them to that profiles save folder. After installing a mod and testing it, you save the game so it has that mod in it, then install the second mod test and save, that way you always have a save that is "uncorupted" if you install a mod that causes issues, remove that mod and start over with the last save that did not have issues.

It's going to be a long process but after installing MO, start with following the STEP guide here: http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.10.0

Mod Organizer: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Third_Party_Programs

Mod Organizer:

Gopher has a set of very good youtube video's on howto mod Skyrim and also on how to install things like LOOT, FNIS TES5edit, Bodyslide, etc. etc. with MO

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7DlYarj-DdhDG41roBVJfNCqvO5MmKP

Since you are on a laptop i suggest setting it next to your home PC (if you have one) where you watch the videos so you can pause them while you follow the tutorials and perform the installation on your laptop.

You do not need all of the STEP mods, here are the most important ones for a stable "initial Skyrim installation":

2.A LOOT

2.B If you are uncomfortable using TES5edit you can skip it, but it is very clearly written how you go about cleaning the esm's

2.C. All

2.D

(Legendary edition simply means you have all the official DLC)

-Dawnguard (official DLC)

-Hearthfire (official DLC)

-Dragonborn (official DLC)

-Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Patch (For Skyrim + Dawnguard + Hearthfire + Dragonborn)

-High Resolution Texture Pack (DLC)

-Unofficial High resolution patch (Optional, only if you use the offical high resolution texture pack)

-STEP Optimized vanilla textures

-Bug fixes

-FUz Ro D-oh

-Realistic Ragdolls and Force

-XPMS Extended

2.E.

-Racemenu

-SkyUI

That will be your base for adding further mods to your Skyrim.

One thing to keep in mind, though it can be done, a laptop is not ideal for a modded Skyrim, i recommend to not install any high resolution mods and choose the lowresolution versions if a mod has it, even with all the performance options and bugfixes, alot, and i mean alot depends on your hardware for a smooth running modded Skyrim, even the official minimum requirements are barely enough to run a stable vanilla Skyrim.

Don't worry even experienced mod users keep learning and make mistakes athat screw up their games and have to start over every now and then.

good luck and keep us posted.