Fed Up w/ Skyrim CTD TMP Save Bug

LilMrsMoffett

• 3 months later...

I, sadly, disabled iNeed and it seems to help. Such a shame, because I really like that mod. Right now I'm redownloading everything on a new computer (new to me anyway) and currently having issues getting NMM to cooperate, so I can't redownload my mods til that is fixed. I also can't for the life of me remember where I went to download LOOT and Generate FNIS. Those are rather necessary things.

Again, thank you everyone for all the advice you've given me!

Another trick that works with Skyrim SE, when you start getting the "Saving a game causes a CTD"...

Load up your last savegame that works, then immediately load that savegame AGAIN, then save your game in a new slot.

For whatever reason, that works in Skyrim SE.

What's happening is you're loading a save with some script problems (Did you remove a mod in the middle of game play, or shift around your load order? If so, you might have a bunch of orphaned scripts screwing up your save)

So, load a save, and immediately reload it, then save in a new slot and see if that helps.
Also, check your savegames with this handy utility which has saved MANY a game for me, it's called FALLRIM TOOLS and can eliminate any orphaned scripts or instances plaguing your savegame

I would also suggest switching to SkyRim SE, with its 64 bit engine and is much less crash-prone.
Also, be wary of NMM, as it likes to not fully install large mods, which could be part of your problem.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is the Skyrim (not Skyrim SE) forum. Still hoping that someone here might know a solution, hence replying to this thread. Cheers!

=====

Awrite, gents. After playing Skyrim (later Legendary, now SE) for some years, I recently thought I'd go for a final playthrough before allowing it to retire for good.

While I would not call myself an IT or technology expert, I have been modding the heck out of the different Skyrim versions for some time - and of course also this time. Used the Nordic Guide as "guidance" for an install. And even with a heavy mod list of 250 esps and 200 esls, the game is stable (an un-reproducable ctd every few hours ... a blackface that can be fixed via CK, but that is pretty much it). Installation time of about two weeks paid off here.

That said, I started encountering the absolutely frustrating "ctd on save" bug. Having spent hours of searching and reading the past two days, I think I have tried pretty much all fixes which are being discussed or recommended as viable:

• Fix savegame with ReSaver. This actually helped me earlier in my playthrough with the same issue - but interestingly enough, all my current savegames do NOT show any issues here - so nothing to fix for ReSaver.
  • The player.kill solution.
  • The coc qasmoke/pcb solution.
  • Disabling and unchecking (from plugin list) iNeed.
  • Adjusting the Papyrus section in skyrim.ini to iMinMemoryPageSize=1024 and iMaxMemoryPageSize=3072. This actually helped earlier in my playthrough with the same issue - but the issue keeps coming back (values are still set as stated here).
  • Moved most except for a handful of savegames into a separate folder, to have a short list of savegames.

My current playthrough is about 50h into the game, the latest savegame (ess-file) size is at 17 mb.

A final word on the save behaviour: When I load my latest savegame and try to (hard or quick) save, the game starts the save procedure. It does not immediately ctd. The ctd happens about 10-15 seconds into the save procedure. After the ctd, I will then find the skse-file properly created. It seems the issue is with creation of the ess-file: Here I only see an ess.tmp file with 0 mb file size.

Am on 1.5.62 with SKSE64 2.0.12.

Thanks for any insight!

• 5 months later...

i recently acquired this bug, and it threatens to destroy a playthrough with hundreds of hours invested.

the only thing that briefly worked was loading an old save before the bug occurred . . . but then it just occurred again a few days later.

no obvious or conventional solution works. nothing does anything.