Can't change load order in NMM anymore

NiftyPower

I would put this in the NMM threads, but those threads are locked.

I can change the load order in the default Skyrim "Data Files" interface, but when I load NMM, it changes the load order to what it was set to a while back, and does not let me change any files.

This is for all mods, existing and ones I try installing now, and mod dependencies have nothing to do with it.

I think I've partially figured out the issue. In the folder Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Skyrim, there are two files that store load order, loadorder.txt and plugins.txt. The default Skyrim load order sorter changes plugins.txt, but not loadorder.txt, and when NMM loads, it overwrites plugins.txt with the load order from loadorder.txt. However, if loadorder.txt and its backups are deleted, loadorder.txt is created from plugins.txt when NMM is opened, and the load order determined by plugins.txt is preserved.

Since I never bothered to check this before I had an issue with this, is this usual behavior? I'm trying to figure out why NMM can't change the load order, since it used to be able to.

• 2 months later...

I would put this in the NMM threads, but those threads are locked.

I can change the load order in the default Skyrim "Data Files" interface, but when I load NMM, it changes the load order to what it was set to a while back, and does not let me change any files.

This is for all mods, existing and ones I try installing now, and mod dependencies have nothing to do with it.

Updating to the new 0.63.17 version of NMM, and trying to adjust the load order for FO4, came across an issue, that while Creation Club content is in the load order, the load order is unchangeable. Or so thought everyone.

I discovered, that by Exporting to TXT file, I can edit the load order there with a quicker cut and Paste than NMM does with moving a couple items in the load order. Then just import the edited txt file to the new load order configuration even with the CC still in the data folder.

You might be able to use a similar technique, to keep your load order up to date with Skyrim. (I've played over 4,000 hours of Skyrim myself.)

So if you load up NMM and your load order has changed, just bump import load order from txt file, double check, but make NO changes in the Data list when you start up Skyrim to ensure the list looks the way you want it before launching the game.

Edit add: If you have required mod, but disabled, in the load order, they still have to come before what needs them in the list. By clicking ok in the data section for the load order, it auto sends ALL disabled mods to the bottom of the list, and will crash the game, if not right away, after x amount of time. Is best to hit the X or cancel to close that window.

Edited by AiriannaWW

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this useful info Airianna. It's much appreciated. Just every once in awhile my comp locks up while say I'm using NMM and when I reset my comp and start NMM it won't boot at all so I have to uninstall NMM and reinstall it. After I reinstall NMM the first time I noticed that I couldn't adjust my load order for FO4 and thought it was due to myself having to uninstall and reinstall NMM. I never knew that the CC content was the cause of my load order issue. Great to know and I've done exactly as you stated with ease. Haven't started up FO4 yet but I'll see what happens.