Graphics glitching and Graphic card driver crashes (on PC)

Thanks! :smile:

You're welcome! Because buying new GPU's is really expensive right now, you might want to look into something like a used GTX 970. Just make sure your power supply and case can handle it.

Edited by DaddyDirection

Thanks! :smile:

You're welcome! Because buying new GPU's is really expensive right now, you might want to look into something like a used GTX 970. Just make sure your power supply and case can handle it.

Why would I want to buy an used GPU (assuming I could find one)? I have an used one myself; and it appears to be failing soon. Buying an used one and then it fails two months later? I don't think that would make much sense.

In the meanwhile; I've been testing with other games. GW2 runs without problems. SWTOR couldn't test yet, because their updating process is so ridiculously stupid that I can't describe it properly here without getting myself banned. Takes forever; and that's an understatement. In fact, it made me miss the last connection that I'd have needed to take to get to the store in time before they close. Now I'll have to wait until monday. No Skyrim for me this weekend, I guess. -_-

Also gonna test other games. E.g. C&C Generals.

Edit: After doing some more testing in Skyrim, I get some glitches in GW2 as well. Now I wonder if it is temperature-related after all. But that's weird. Why would it... it's not like the fans can't spin or something.

Edited by Saturn04

Don't mean to be insulting, but... grow up, new hardware fails as much as used hardware.

Your GPU chip's connection to the board is breaking apart. Thank the EU for the "ROHS" act, which has led to the premature dumping of half a million tons of electronics, soldered with leadless alloys, which don't last (and thus probably a hundred times the environmental damage ROHS sought to prevent).

Nvidia's cards were hit the hardest, since they didn't pay much care to keeping their chip compatible with new inferior solders. Their 480 to 780 generations are especially infamous for breaking apart mid-life for no visible reason.
It's kinda temperature related, your video card still works until temperature forces its broken solder apart. It will gradually get worse until it refuses to start altogether.

Their 480 to 780 generations are especially infamous for breaking apart mid-life for no visible reason.

FMod, if you have any references for that claim I'd love to read them. As far as I've read the solder problem dates from 2008 and affected Nvidia's 8-series cards (G84/6 etc), not Kepler/Nvidia 650 which was released in 2012.

Don't mean to be insulting, but... grow up, new hardware fails as much as used hardware.

Uhm, no. If a GPU has an average lifespan of let's say 5-6 years (since that's around the age of mine), and I buy an used one that already has been used for a couple years, then chances are it will fail me in a year or less from now. While if I buy a new one, I'm good for the next 5-6 years on average (if you take the age of my current one as an average for the purpose of this example).

Edited by Saturn04

IME chip and card failures have a lot more to do with cooling and voltage quality than age. I've got 20+ year-old Matrox video cards that still work perfectly, primarily because they generate very little heat. Running any chip at or even close to its rated thermal spec will with absolute certainty reduce its lifespan, the only variances are in the amount and rate of damage. Edited by TheMastersSon

IME chip and card failures have a lot more to do with cooling and voltage quality than age. I've got 20+ year-old Matrox video cards that still work perfectly, primarily because they generate very little heat. Running any chip at or even close to its rated thermal spec will with absolute certainty reduce its lifespan, the only variances are in the amount and rate of damage.

Well; either way an used one probably has a lower expected lifespan remaining than a new one. Even moreso since you have no way of knowing what conditions it had in the hands of it's previous user(s). And I don't think I have ever really stressed my GPU a lot.

What do you mean with voltage quality? The only difference in electricity I could see is the way it was produced; but that's not exactly noticeable for the GPU. I doubt they prefer electricity from solar panels over that from a nuclear power plant (or vice versa).

The temp mentioned in articles regarding FMod's solder issue is 70C. Personally I define "stressing a GPU a lot" for most Nvidia chips at anything over 65C. Probably the biggest issue imo is that default fan profiles on these cards are made for noise abatement, for hardware protection they're practically useless: by the time you hit the temps needed to trigger adequate airflow, the chip damage is already done.

By voltage quality I mean voltage regulation, to the card's slot and the PC as a whole. Anything from lightning strikes/surges/sags to a bad power supply or bad motherboard caps etc etc can cause card damage and premature failure. It was a much bigger issue 20 years ago than today, but it's still a good idea to check aging power supplies for voltage problems and dust. Speaking of dust, if your 680 has a sealed fan housing and you've never cleaned inside of it, ime the effort is worth it. Stress temps on our 980 dropped >10C after a once-every-few-years cleaning. :)

Edited by TheMastersSon

The temp mentioned in articles regarding FMod's solder issue is 70C. Personally I define "stressing a GPU a lot" for most Nvidia chips at anything over 65C. Probably the biggest issue imo is that default fan profiles on these cards are made for noise abatement, for hardware protection they're practically useless: by the time you hit the temps needed to trigger adequate airflow, the chip damage is already done.

Well; the strange thing is, that it just started doing this out of nowhere. It's not like I was playing for a while and then it started. No; I logged in on a new day and it started glitching; first only a bit and then suddenly more and more. Ever since then, they are really bad. It's a little bit better if I start it with no mods at all and the lowest graphic settings; but even then it starts glitching. GPU doesn't reach more than 50C when it does so.

By voltage quality I mean voltage regulation, to the card's slot and the PC as a whole. Anything from lightning strikes/surges/sags to a bad power supply or bad motherboard caps etc etc can cause card damage and premature failure. It was a much bigger issue 20 years ago than today, but it's still a good idea to check aging power supplies for voltage problems and dust.

Ah. My previous computer was actually roasted by a lightning strike I think; although at least the harddrive luckily survived. Don't know about the rest. Happened when I wasn't even at home. I have no idea what you mean with checking aging power supplies for voltage problems.

Speaking of dust, if your 680 has a sealed fan housing and you've never cleaned inside of it, ime the effort is worth it. Stress temps on our 980 dropped >10C after a once-every-few-years cleaning. :smile:

Well; I did thoroughly dedust everything inside my computer. Today I have even removed the GPU and blown air into every hole I could find; including through the gaps in it's fan. Some more dust came out. I had once gotten my hands on canned air (well; iirc it's propane), but that stuff is expensive and the vast majority of stores don't have it... luckily I had the (holy Batman... black screen while typing this and a message for driver failure as described in the first post... I'm afraid my GPU is getting worse... and I was just watching Youtube-videos and playing Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 a bit earlier ffs -_-)... eh... oh yeah; luckily I had the idea to use my pump for bicycle tires which has an attachment designed to pump up soccer balls and basketballs and the like... works like a charm to dedust everything. Good exercise for the arms too. xD

I am currently unable to use my computer so I'm using my phone. After installing a number of highly rated mods, (Immersive Armors, New Start, Unofficial Patch, one of the perks ones, sounds of Skyrim, and a couple others I've forgotten), I started Skyrim SE, made a character, played for 30 seconds and had my computer crash. WHEA uncorrectable error. Startup, again. Graphics malfunctioning. Now my computer won't even start. My graphics card is two years old and shouldn't 'be on it's way out' and has run much more difficult programs than Skyrim.

Windows 10

I7 4790k, gpu is an AMD Radeon 7870. 16 gb ram over four g.skill ripjaws 4gb chips. Updated drivers.

Why did mods just ruin my gpu?

Edited by Timmeh7o9