Mod Organizer and Nexus Mod Manager

CodeNamed1

MO or NMM?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer??

• Mod Organizer
    • Nexus Mod Manager

SO i have successfully used NMM to mod and I seem to have quite stable game and all, now the question I have is that

can I use same time MO and NMM to mod Skyrim and be able to use both of them to play my differently modded game just by

switching my Mod manager??

I don't see the problem but just want to make sure this is possible.

I have been hearing so much that MO is better then NMM so I wanna try it myself now that I have learned how to use NMM.

Who'd also like to hear some discussion about the two of them (But keep it friendly :D )

I also made a Poll to this title just to see the general opinion

T: New to Modding but getting there (MOD user not modder, just to be clear but you never know :wink: )

no , it's not really possible to use NMM and MO at the same time , not even for different mod setups

the reason is that NMM installs mods directly to your game's installation folder

so for example if you install a texture pack via NMM , even if you launch the game via MO , that texture pack will still be loaded into your game

I personally use MO most of the time , and have done so for several years now

the main draw of MO is that it installs mods to a virtual folder , and loads them from there

so while it will lead to larger installation sizes (as it will not remove files that appear in several mods) , it allows much more flexibility when modding (because if you've installed mods in the wrong order , you can just change the order in which they are loaded , rather than having to reinstall both mods again , in the correct order)

you can use MO and set up different profiles , each with different mods installed , and so play two different 'versions' of Skyrim at the same time

but you can't have one version with NMM and another with MO (unless you can have two separate installations of the game)

MO might be a bit more complicated to learn initially , there are plenty of good tutorials online to get you started , and I would recommend giving it a try (although if you want to switch to MO now , you should probably start with a fresh installation of the game , and start modding it all over again) . if you don't really need a second modded version of Skyrim right now , and you are satisfied with the modded game you have set up now , I would recommend that you just stick with NMM and your installed mods , as you've already done all the hard work

no , it's not really possible to use NMM and MO at the same time , not even for different mod setups

the reason is that NMM installs mods directly to your game's installation folder

so for example if you install a texture pack via NMM , even if you launch the game via MO , that texture pack will still be loaded into your game

the main draw of MO is that it installs mods to a virtual folder , and loads them from there

so while it will lead to larger installation sizes (as it will not remove files that appear in several mods) , it allows much more flexibility when modding (because if you've installed mods in the wrong order , you can just change the order in which they are loaded , rather than having to reinstall both mods again , in the correct order)

you can use MO and set up different profiles , each with different mods installed , and so play two different 'versions' of Skyrim at the same time

but you can't have one version with NMM and another with MO (unless you can have two separate installations of the game)

MO might be a bit more complicated to learn initially , there are plenty of good tutorials online to get you started , and I would recommend giving it a try (although if you want to switch to MO now , you should probably start with a fresh installation of the game , and start modding it all over again) . if you don't really need a second modded version of Skyrim right now , and you are satisfied with the modded game you have set up now , I would recommend that you just stick with NMM and your installed mods , as you've already done all the hard work

Wow I had no idea :x

Well one thing that i might do after some time is that I Start modding Skyrim SE with MO. That should be possible right? To use NMM to mod LE and Use MO with SE, right? They are a "different" game atleast with their own Installation folder.

yes , that is very much possible (though I think SE should be modded with MO2 , do check to verify that)

LE and SE are two separate games on most accounts , so consider them as such (do note that SE has it's own Nexus site , something that most people miss . also make sure not to install SE mods in LE , or the opposite . many people have their games crash because they don't know this , or don't even realize the existence of a separate site for SE mods)

I really like MO for everything except for use with the Creation Kit. I haven't quite figured out how to make them work together so I still use NMM for that. If you are going to try out another manager you might consider Vortex. It's still being worked on so there might be some bugs yet but it is an alternative. I haven't tried it yet myself but it sounds like it has possibilities.

I really like MO for everything except for use with the Creation Kit. I haven't quite figured out how to make them work together so I still use NMM for that. If you are going to try out another manager you might consider Vortex. It's still being worked on so there might be some bugs yet but it is an alternative. I haven't tried it yet myself but it sounds like it has possibilities.

Yeah I am going to try Vortex at some point if they don't mess it up :D but i think I'm gonna wait it to be develophed more and when the community has shaped it some more to it's final stage, well maybe not final but like Beta stage.

Â

Â

Â

Wow I had no idea :xÂ

Â

Well one thing that i might do after some time is that I Start modding Skyrim SE with MO. That should be possible right? To use NMM to mod LE and Use MO with SE, right? They are a "different" game atleast with their own Installation folder.

@WastelandAssassin

So is it possible with MO to make two or even more TOTALLY different mod lists for different characters And use them successfully??

Cause I got am idea of totally another kind of modlist i would like to make :)

Also is it save if i use exactly same mods to recreate my list from NMM to MO?? Or is there something to be concerned here?

@WastelandAssassin

So is it possible with MO to make two or even more TOTALLY different mod lists for different characters And use them successfully??

Cause I got am idea of totally another kind of modlist i would like to make :smile:

Also is it save if i use exactly same mods to recreate my list from NMM to MO?? Or is there something to be concerned here?

it is very much possible to make two completely different mod lists for different characters

make sure to set character saves as profile dependent , so you won't accidentally load a save from one profile , with the other profile's mods active

all you really need to do is create two profiles , and install whatever mods you wish to use for each profile (do note that you'll see all mods you have installed on all profiles . you just have to make sure that each profile has it's own mods activated , while the others are deactivated)

technically speaking , you can use the same mod list from NMM to MO

however , you should make sure that all of the mods could be installed via MO , as there are some limitations (specifically regarding mods with script extender plugins , for example)

so some mods might require a bit of extra work , but in general you should be able to do this easily

however , do note that if you need to manually install mods with script plugins , these will load to your game regardless of your active profile . so this could create issues if these plugins are from a mod you have active on only a single profile

but as always , caution is needed to make a properly modded game