I'm going to buy a new PC gaming rig, so ...

In the next week, I'm going to a Best Buy to purchase a new gaming rig. Note that my current PC is seven years old, and though it functions perfectly, it's barely able to handle Skyrim Special Edition, and cannot handle anything that requires anything over 4 gigs of RAM.

What is your general impression of AMD Ryzen 5 1500x

Specifications:

Storage: HDD

Hard Drive: SATA

HD Capacity: 3000 Gigs

Graphics: NVIDEA GForce 1050 ti

RAM: 16 gigs

Processor speed: 3.5 ghz

Type: AMD Ryzen 5

Operating System: Windows 10

I'm just buying the processing tower, as I have a 24inch monitor, Razer Ornata Chrome keyboard, and logitec gaming mouse.

Impressions, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Tragthemercenary,

I haven't used the Ryzen 5 1500x but having built a new pc about 18 months ago and based it around the i7 6850 I really wished I had waited until the Ryzens had come out. But hey that's why hindsight is always 100%. The Gforce 1050Ti will knock spots of Skyrim especially over old rig. A good place to have a look at your components for yourself is www.cpubenchmark.net...it will make you depressed tbh and fall off your chair at the prices of some of the bits n pieces.

One thing I have spotted about your choices is the Sata.... if you could grab a cheap SSD to drop Win10 onto you will see a huge increase in performance. If your mobo has a slot for a SSD all well and good but if not you could grab a board for a pci slot and slap it in there.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes to you and yours,

Pru777

Hi Tragthemercenary,

I haven't used the Ryzen 5 1500x but having built a new pc about 18 months ago and based it around the i7 6850 I really wished I had waited until the Ryzens had come out. But hey that's why hindsight is always 100%. The Gforce 1050Ti will knock spots of Skyrim especially over old rig. A good place to have a look at your components for yourself is www.cpubenchmark.net...it will make you depressed tbh and fall off your chair at the prices of some of the bits n pieces.

One thing I have spotted about your choices is the Sata.... if you could grab a cheap SSD to drop Win10 onto you will see a huge increase in performance. If your mobo has a slot for a SSD all well and good but if not you could grab a board for a pci slot and slap it in there.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes to you and yours,

Pru777

Thanks very much. I appreciate the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen (and lady?), I ended up buying an ACER, with the 7th Generation 7700 processor, Hybrid 256GB SSD/1 TB SATA, NVIDIA 1060 Graphics, and 16 gigs of RAM (upgradable to to 64 gigs). I'm a little worried about the graphics card (it's 3 gigs), but just in case, I have a 4-gig NVIDIA 1050 ti, sitting around. Thanks for your recommendations!

The original computer that was shipped to me was the CYBERPOWER with the Ryzen microprocessor, but I returned it. The thing was not packed properly inside (the disk drive was on the floor of the case, when I received it, and the graphics card was bent downward). It would not even boot up the Windows 10. I did some more research, and the Acer ariives, tomorrow.

The 1060 3gb is a lot faster than the 1050ti regardless of the size of the memory buffer.

The 7700 runs hot make so sure the case has enough airflow.

Why last gen Intel you know the 8th generation has six cores on the i5's right, and they are probably cheaper.

Edited by Erik005

Thanks, Erik005, for the advice. I'm going to add extra cooling to it, as soon as I can, and I always use an external fan on my computers, to keep air flowing inside the case. I would completely open the case and use it that way, if I wasn't worried about dust or liquids getting into it.

I appreciate the information about the 1060. I checked the specs on my games, and I don't have any that requires more than 1 gig of RAM, in the graphics card.

Thanks, Erik005, for the advice. I'm going to add extra cooling to it, as soon as I can, and I always use an external fan on my computers, to keep air flowing inside the case. I would completely open the case and use it that way, if I wasn't worried about dust or liquids getting into it.

I appreciate the information about the 1060. I checked the specs on my games, and I don't have any that requires more than 1 gig of RAM, in the graphics card.

The CPU cooling might be loud just prepare for that.

• 3 weeks later...