For the love of god... [Followers]

Barchetta3223

Can we get some real followers with good voices instead of 10 over the top nude females per week?

My request in better terms:

Fully voiced male characters in races not usually used. Iâd love to see some male orcs and argonians.

Followers that utilize Ordinator perks when leveling (may as well considering how popular Ordinator is)

Iâd be willing to voice act. I donât have experience in it but I have the equipment and would love to try. Iâm also a GM for Pathfinder and do practice multiple accents for the sake of better role play.

Edited by Barchetta3223

I completely agree, there are some older follower mods, that are male but they are very basic. There are a couple of fleshed out followers such and inigo but there needs to be more, while the naked bouncing ladies are nice to look at (in a lap dancing club), it would be nice to be able to mix followers up abit, and not wishing they were amazons so they can draw their bow back. I would have a go at this myself, but I don't have the skills to add custom voices or go into the detail that followers like inigo do.

I have been dabbling with VERY minor mod things the past week or so (silly conversions and minor changes to existing mods only thus far) but I really have been considering trying to do something like this. I've done voice acting before, have many years of tabletop and LARP experience. I think I could do the writing, acting etc, but I need to figure out the programmy/scripting/mod bits. I'd like a guy who interacts with the world a bit. personally i don't use followers much but I know people love them so I'd want to make someone they actually want to have around.

Iâve watched a few videos but with the newborn, itâs not possible to do this on my own. Iâm happy to see some replies here though. The ideal followers would interact with the world on the level that Inigo does. Have lines for different events, enemies and places.

If the followers is argonian, Iâd like perhaps for him to come to Skyrim in search of Brand Shei and wishes to spring him from Riften jail following the thieves guild introduction quest.

As for an orc, thereâs a handful of clans you could base his story around. Perhaps the orc can come shortly after you rise as the leader of that one clan by favor of Malacath. A one on one between the PC and the followers could lead to an alliance similar to the brawl followers. Just thinking.

I have been dabbling with VERY minor mod things the past week or so (silly conversions and minor changes to existing mods only thus far) but I really have been considering trying to do something like this. I've done voice acting before, have many years of tabletop and LARP experience. I think I could do the writing, acting etc, but I need to figure out the programmy/scripting/mod bits. I'd like a guy who interacts with the world a bit. personally i don't use followers much but I know people love them so I'd want to make someone they actually want to have around.

The writing, acting, and other things that give the character personality are the critical parts. Inigo (which has been mentioned) has very little actual scripting and the first version was even on the standard follower framework with no custom scripting. The technical thing you need to master is use of the conditions for dialogue. The situational awareness that Inigo seems to have is really just thousands of dialogue lines with appropriate conditions. For example, lines about how much Inigo likes the rain have conditions to make sure it's actually raining. To keep his comments from being annoying various lines are also conditioned to only play at certain times of day, days of week, if the player is holding a torch, etc.

Deck16 has a pretty good tutorial at Making a unique-voiced follower in Skyrim that covers all of the critical basics.

If you're going to do a custom-voiced character that you don't want to be treated like just one more member of the team by the multi-follower framework mods (EFF, AFT, iAFT, etc.) then I recommend you don't use the standard follower framework. With just 3-4 simple AI packages, a few script fragments, and about a dozen dialogue entries you can do just about everything the standard framework does for you. If anyone is serious about trying this I can give more specific guidance. Or you can be like SmartBlueCat and create a standard-framework follower so compelling that by the time you've hit the limits of the standard framework someone (maybe me) offers to take your character off that system and give it the scripting brains to match the personality you've already given it. The main thing scripting can do is make the character more aware of the world and not look like an idiot. But there are limits, so make sure you come up with some excuse to explain why your character sometimes makes inappropriate comments or repeats things.

The writing, acting, and other things that give the character personality are the critical parts. Inigo (which has been mentioned) has very little actual scripting and the first version was even on the standard follower framework with no custom scripting. The technical thing you need to master is use of the conditions for dialogue. The situational awareness that Inigo seems to have is really just thousands of dialogue lines with appropriate conditions. For example, lines about how much Inigo likes the rain have conditions to make sure it's actually raining. To keep his comments from being annoying various lines are also conditioned to only play at certain times of day, days of week, if the player is holding a torch, etc.

Deck16 has a pretty good tutorial at Making a unique-voiced follower in Skyrim that covers all of the critical basics.

If you're going to do a custom-voiced character that you don't want to be treated like just one more member of the team by the multi-follower framework mods (EFF, AFT, iAFT, etc.) then I recommend you don't use the standard follower framework. With just 3-4 simple AI packages, a few script fragments, and about a dozen dialogue entries you can do just about everything the standard framework does for you. If anyone is serious about trying this I can give more specific guidance. Or you can be like SmartBlueCat and create a standard-framework follower so compelling that by the time you've hit the limits of the standard framework someone (maybe me) offers to take your character off that system and give it the scripting brains to match the personality you've already given it. The main thing scripting can do is make the character more aware of the world and not look like an idiot. But there are limits, so make sure you come up with some excuse to explain why your character sometimes makes inappropriate comments or repeats things.

That is really good information, thanks! I hadn't begun looking into it yet so I didn't know how complex the "back end" programming pieces were. It sounds like it could work as a start small and build up sort of project. I am going to take a look at this over the weekend I think.

* Note to original author - sorry not trying to derail your thread, I just think maybe given some time I can help out. Also at least this keeps it at the top :P

if this is something your looking at doing, id like to recommend taking a look at darkfox127's tutorials on you tube. he has some really good tutorials and often posts scripts to go with his tutorials as a modders resource. ive used some of his tutorials to do basic followers like a dog or something, but I did see last night that he has a followers tutorial that goes into much more depth. I still struggle with npc's and basic followers, I don't know how to add voices or such so I couldn't do this justice, but after seeing your post, I thought id post the info I have. you can find the scripts needed within project modularity under the oldrim section on this site. all you need to do is download the scripts file within project modularity and you have the scripts. I know they are on the oldrim side, but ive used them on SSE and they do work.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some looking through tutorials and getting an idea of how this could shape up. My one "gotcha" is I was wondering if there is a follower who an author wouldn't mind me tinkering with. Something like an Inigo, Vilja etc. Reason being I am good at seeing a template and manipulating it or adding to it (IE - "Ah I see! Here he has a trigger that when it rains Inigo can say one of these three things") in order to learn. Is there anything out there like this where an author might be amenable? I can reach out to them individually but I figure before doing that I would ask as it might already exist. Additionally if authors have managed to already get past some of the pain points there is no reason to reinvent the wheel if I can learn from what they have.

Note - if I were granted permission to use a template as a base I would absolutely give the author credit and kudos.