Missing Land?

neafdeven

Hey guys,

I recently decided to reinstall Morrowind after a couple of years, and downloaded a number of mods for it. I used to mod my games quite extensively and while I've never considered myself skilled at it I usually managed to get by without too many issues. This time, however, I've run into a number of problems, of which one is completely stumping me.

I installed the basic code patch, patch fixes and texture fixes etc (i basically followed povuholo's list with a few ommisions as I couldn't be bothered to trawl for too long). Then when it came to choosing texture packs I chose: 'visual pack combined' as a base -> DarkNuts world textures over the top -> DN's other fixes and tweaks with the occasional other texture overly, TLM etc.

I tried to install MGE, but ran into a problem that I've heard other users having with Windows 10 which seemingly makes it impossible for MGE XE to actually work at all. So after disabling it, I load up my game. Everything works fine, except it doesn't... the 'land' of Morrowind has been replaced by a strange, kind of blank white? covered surface area with basically no definition whatsoever. At first, i thought it might be localised to the starting town, but nope, there is a total absence of land everywhere on the map. Buildings, people, creatures, ruins, all appear, but are floating on top of this blank surface. At the same time, the buildings themselves do not seem to be anywhere near the graphics quality they should be for the textures mods I'm using. More weirdly, neither the game nor mlox shows any error messages. This laptop isn't great but it really doesn't seem like thats the issue, my framerate is fine and i can play much more demanding games. I can see the 'land.dll' in the textures folders, not sure if that's relevant.

Anyway, i'm sure that this is something quite basic ive managed to mess up, but if anyone could help at all i'd be immensely appreciative because all I want to do at this stage is just play the damn thing, haha.

I have the following mods installed:

Code Patch

Morrowind Patch Project

Corrections for Land Seams + UV Rocks + Cave Textures

Better heads (plus Tribunal and BM addons)

TLM (modular version with the individual esps)

Starfire's NPC's

Uviriths Legacy

Building up Uvriths Legacy

Rise of House Telvanni

Antares Big Mod

Retextured Signposts

Live Free

DB Delayed Attack

GCD

Better Bodies

Better Clothes

DarkNuts World Tex + DN's better clothes + DN's 4 creatures mods + his weapon and armor mods

Plangkye's Telvanni Textures

Aru's Better Banners

I also had CoM installed but it caused a load of errors and crashes upon starting that disappeared when i deleted it.

Thank you !

Edited by neafdeven

Try to remove these mods.

DarkNuts World Tex + DN's better clothes + DN's 4 creatures mods + his weapon and armor mods

A dirty nif or a corrupt mesh or similar could cause a CTD, basically anything that affects meshes, static objects can generate a CTD.

I also notice that you're using GCD, but I wonder. Did you enable these patches in MCP?

- Attribute uncap. Allows levelling of the eight main attributes past 100.
- Skill uncap. Allows levelling of skills past 100, including mod*skill script commands, skill books, and prison stays.

If you did then it's why you get a CTD as the GCD and the patches above is incompatible and using both will freeze the game. It's recommended to disable those patches in MCP rather than changing GCD.

Thanks a lot for the replies

Try to remove these mods.

A dirty nif or a corrupt mesh or similar could cause a CTD, basically anything that affects meshes, static objects can generate a CTD.

I also notice that you're using GCD, but I wonder. Did you enable these patches in MCP?

- Attribute uncap. Allows levelling of the eight main attributes past 100.
- Skill uncap. Allows levelling of skills past 100, including mod*skill script commands, skill books, and prison stays.

If you did then it's why you get a CTD as the GCD and the patches above is incompatible and using both will freeze the game. It's recommended to disable those patches in MCP rather than changing GCD.

I can try to go through and remove them, but the issue for me at the moment isn't so much the CTD's (it was certainly MGEXE because the moment i removed it, the CTD's went). The game actually plays fine, its just that there isnt any land texture. Its almost as if the base mesh is there, but there isnt any texture on top?

Also, I already made those changes regarding MCP/GCD so I dont think thats the problem. It could well be an error with one of the texture packs tho, but idk where to start.

This doesn't sound mod related to me, what happens if you start a new game without mods?

Ok so: I restarted without any mods and the vanilla land texture WAS there. So evidently its something to do with one of the mods im using? But im even more confused now, because none of the texture packs came with esps...

Edited by neafdeven

Ok, an update:

1) Removing the esp for the land texture seam fix has removed the bizarre texture-less land issue i was having. However...

2) For some reason, none of the texture packs are working at all. Apart from better heads and bodies, ALL the textures are vanilla. Not only the land, but weapons, clothes, buildings etc. I have no idea why, because I'm pretty certain I installed them all correctly, and I can see all of them in the textures folder.

Perhaps its a windows 10 issue? My steam library is outside of program files, UAC is disabled, compatibility mode doesn't work etc.

I'm trying to work out if the best option is a) to reinstall, or b) to install some different texture packs and see if they work?

Could you link that seam mod? From the name it's not Slartibartfast's one.

On the texture replacers not working. Try re-using Morrowind Code Patch, that should redate the Bethesda BSAs. IIRC, if their Last Modified Date is more recent then they override texture replacers etc. Double check its readme though, been a while. Worth an eyeball check in Explorer too.

If it's not that then all I can think of is morrowind.ini and checking that this is set (and not -1 or 1):

TryArchiveFirst=0

So evidently its something to do with one of the mods im using? But im even more confused now, because none of the texture packs came with esps...

Mods that doesn't have an esp are called a pluginless replacer, usually texture mods such as this replacer.